Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exterior Gel Coat Protection

We just bought a new Sunset Trail 320BH. The dealer is asking if we want to put on an $800 exterior protection product over the fiberglass/decals/paint that will help with the fading etc.

We didn't have one on the last RV and it didn't seem to bother them when we traded that in for our new one. Just wondering what others' opinions of that is. Is it worth the price to keep the RV looking good and does it really work?
Mmattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I went ahead and got it on mine and was put on the awning and inside carpet and leather it came with a written guarantee and i be leave it was for 8 years fiberglass/decals/paint ect make sure you get a guarantee if you get it if no guarantee of some sort i wouldn't, i just use the wash and wax and after setting all winter when i washed it the black marks down the side just washed right off the awning had very little mold and it also just wash right off so I'm happy i got it it's just up to you if you want it or not some say it's a waste, i had the same sort of stuff put on the wife's car when we got it new its a 2003 and paint and inside still looks like new after 13 years of coarse care is the key for anything.
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I was offered this at my closing by the finance person, along with extended warranties etc. It was all very confusing and felt like I was being pushed into something I didn't need. I think my cost was going to be close to $1400? Anyway the woman wasn't taking no for an answer and I kept saying no. She came at me with different deductibles to reduce cost. The she came at me with a coupon "good today only" that had an expiration date showing it was good for another two weeks. Then she came at me with a lower price because the linoleum and leather really didn't need the protection. The more I said no, the more irritated she seemed to be.

You need to decide if it's right for you. I chose not to get it on my unit. If I had been provided with the name of the product and a chance to do some research I may have done it. I seem to remember the one I was offered was a 5 year warranty but would still need waxing after 2 years. Again, it's an individual choice.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I did get it. My buddy had it on his, and I had something similar on a pick up I had for 13 years. As Mike said, my truck paint looked new when I sold it. Don't know if the stuff they put on trailer is as good. They did guarantee against fading, and any rips or stains on the furniture would be repaired or replaced, unless the rip was more than 6 inches. I'm not sure I got the guarantee in writing though, but I would recommend that you do if you get it. The price was negotiable by the way, so get them to reduce it.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote