Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
New Camper

I owna 2005 Crossterrain 36 toyhauler.Just this week I found my my spare tire flat. Once I checked it out I found the valves stem almost totally broken off at the tire. The air had leaked out. I then checked my six main tires andfound 5 of the6 with cracked stems at the tirebase.

After going online and searching this issue I found thatChina produced millions of defective valves stems sold under Dill. These valves stems did not have UV protection in the rubber. Now, the stems all have to be replaced.

Although they are saying that the affected stems were in 2006, I can't believe the problem I am having is not related.

My questionis,am Isolely responsible to do the repairsat my own expense, or is there other avenues with Dill or the dealership that I bought the camper from to do the repairs for free?

Seems like another gotcha from China!! Anyone with suggestions or knowledge of this problem?

Steve

crackabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have replaced all of mine with metal ones, also have had all of the tires rebalanced. Whe I change the flat last week I discovered no weights on the tire inside or out side Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
New Camper

Were your stems also cracked at the base or did you have other issues?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Like Frank and others, I have also changed out to the metal valve stems. Also did so on my "E" ratedtruck tires; just don't trust the rubber to hold up to the pressure and elements.

IMO, small cost compared to the damage that can be done by a valve stem failure.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
New Camper

Ok, thanks for the info. I have also been thinking the metal would be better, although I have heard hey can also have problems sealling properly. But I don't think they will crack like they have for me now. I would assume there are alot of trailers out there with this problem not yet discovered or resolved. I haven't seen alot of info on this, execpt for my own situation. I am surely going to pass it on though.

Steve

Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

When we bought our old Cruiser in 04 the first thing I did was have the rubber vavle stems replaced with metal ones and all the tires balanced. We never had any tire related problems in the 4 years we owned it. Our Paradise Pointe came with metal valve stems but had the crap China tires on it. I just had those replaced and had new metal valve stems installed and all the tires balanced. I feel much better about towing now.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

In addition many of the pressure monitoring systems want you to have metal acct rubber cant take the weight of the sensor.The last 3 flats i had on my truck were all at the stem and they get replaced with metal have never had a failure with the metal ones.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I replaced mine with the metal ones the day they replaced my tires on recall. For the price of the metal ones I replaced the ones on my small trailers also.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We have a 05 Crossroad Cruiser my DH took all 5 tires and had them balanced and metal stems as he was checking the spare tire to put in air and the stem came off in his hand. All 4 tires had cracked stems at the base. Thank heavens he is very careful about checking the air pressure on a routine basis.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
New Camper

Well I did replace all my valve stems. Â*Unfortunately, I couldn't use metal on my 6 main tires. Â*They are aluminum rims and the metal stems did not fit. Â*I did find pull through stems with partial metal stems, but the part that went in the tire was still rubber. Â*Unless the rims are metal it is hard to use metal stems in aluminum rims. Â*After replacing all 7 stems I now consider myself an expert in changing my trailer tires. Â*I had them balanced as well and that may reduce or eliminate the stems from cracking.

Thanks all who read and commented.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I guess at some point they must have changed to a different aluminum wheel. Ours have full metal valve stems that have nuts holding the valve stemto the aluminum wheel.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

The tech name for these stems is believe it or not high performance stems Designed for the serious off road trucks and drag cars

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote