Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
New Camper

Feedback on Sunset Trail Super Lite 24BHI

Looking to buy the 2015 Sunset Trail Super Lite 24BHI and was hoping for feedback. We are going back and forth between that one and the 28BH Reserve. Liking the shorter length of the 24 as well as the lower cost (and still spacious with double slides w/ kitchen island). Any thoughts on the Super Lite line and/or the 24BHI in particular would be greatly appreciated.
rkfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Don't let the length discourage you, if you like the 28BH. We love ours and the extras that come with the Reserve line are well worth it. power everything, plus the fireplace is great for cold nights. The 28BH tows like a dream with the wide stance axles, even with my F150.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the reply cw3jason. We really do love the Reserve line, but the only dealer who sells them locally (which is what we prefer) isn't being as flexible with the price. Not to go into price, but they are at 20% off msrp and we just want to make sure that's a good enough deal for buying brand new. Other brands we have been getting quotes from have negotiated for far less. We just don't want to over pay as it's a very expensive trailer. Anyone have comments with the quality of the super lite line? They are definitely not as upgraded as the Reserve but seem to offer most of what we are looking for. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Super Lite construction is virtually identical to the Reserve. We looked at Super Lites before deciding on another Zinger.

Biggest difference, besides some of the "frills" of the Reserve, is the queen bed is a little shorter. The Zinger bed is same length as a Super Lite, so didn't matter. If you like the features and such of the Super Lite, then go for it. HOWEVER, if the only reason you are considering a Super Lite instead of a Reserve is because of $1000-2000 dollars, the spring for the Reserve. Be an ***hole with the dealer to get price down if you must.

We upgraded after only 3 years because I was too cheap to pay the premium for a slide-out. Buy what you want now and save the wondering if you should have bought it.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
New Camper

Thanks for the input. The difference is $5-6000 which makes it a decent chunk. The dealer has just given us his "best and final" which ended up at 20% off of the 28bh and 16% of the 24bh msrp's. We still aren't sure which way to go. Our tv is a 2011 f150 ecoboost and we have heard it should tow either without a problem. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

My vote is for the 28BH. We love the little extras for us it was worth the difference. We bought ours for a good price, the dealership had just move and was having a grand reopening sale so that savings, 2k, helped seal the deal. I must say that we would have still purchased it at the non sale price.

The Duncans
2015 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I got closer to 25% off, but 20 is not bad

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I agree - the 20% isn't bad. If you truly like the 28BH, then see if they will take another $2500 off to meet half way. Push hard - especially if you don't have a trade or anything. You can also see when "show time" is - they can sell it now for your price, or at the show for less if it is soon (we could have saved $3000 waiting 3 months - but I didn't want to wait).
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
New Camper

This dealer is tough, we feel like we are the ones trying to get their business, not them working to get ours. They have made it crystal clear they will not budge on price after what they quoted us, which is shocking as a dealer 5 hours away just emailed me a quote on the exact model $1000 less than our local dealer. To make matters more complicated, we our mulling over a size/price compromise of going with the st27bh. Too many great choices with this Sunset Trail line!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
Site Team

In situations like you are experiencing "right now" it's some times tough to hold back and not just ---buy it.

You will be happier down the road if you shop around a little more. If this particular dealer is this hard nosed when trying to sell a trailer, can you imagine what it could be like trying to get service if needed?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Lloyd makes a valid point. Check BBB to see if complaints have been lodged regarding service. The tip on 'waiting" may work out especially at this time of year. 20% is not terrible but many of us have done better. Good luck.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

In the end your buying the trailer not the dealer. If the builder doesn't want to work for your business then just buy from someone else. We drove 6 hours to our dealer for purchase and have never returned since we picked it up. You can have your trailer serviced by any crossroads dealer even if they don't sell the specific model. Just call Crossroads and find the closest alternate dealer if your worried about service. Buy from the dealer who will get you the best price. I drove 5.5 hours past another dealer to save over $3000.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

All great advice here from folks that know there stuff..some of them helped me make our decisoin a few years back..

We were in a similar situation and did buy from the dealer 5 hours away. Our savings were much more like $2500 lower at the out of town dealer (the local dealer pricing was high). All in all, we got close to 25% list. No regrets. I've come to find the local dealer service record is less than stellar and I've dealt with Crossroads directly on warranty issues.

Just a couple of thoughts, some previously mentioned..

1. Time is your negotiating tool
I can't imagine they move too many trailers between now and the next big rv show. Time is your friend here. Besides, how much camping will you do in the next 3 months? New models are constantly rolling in..its not like cars where they come out once a year.

2. This is as good as it gets
The best your going to be treated by the dealer is when your standing there with money in your hand. Exception..I found a few family run small dealerships that treated us well even when were not even shopping...like the one we bought our trailer from.

4. Go Loooonger!
We have a 2011 F150 and towed our 300BH around 7K miles and no issues. We have a more expensive hitch setup (~$1800) but never had an issue including a cross country trip two years ago. Get the 28.

5. Reserve vs Superlite
Obviously biased here, but we compared the 300BH and the Reseve 32BH and other than a few features (fireplace, solid counter, fiberglass cap) ...same trailer with bigger bath, it just was over the top for us on weight (#7400 dry). Solid counters is the big differentiator here IHMO. The fiberglass caps have been problematic for some.

6. Avoid Buyers Remorse
Buy the exact trailer you want and that fits your needs. If your in love with one trailer, focus on finding the best deal on that model...even if its 5 hours away. If your not sure, keep shopping.

7. Crossroads Superlites are...well..superlite
Like many on this forum, I did my homework for close to two years. No one makes a lighter trailer with this many amenities for a lower price. If your towing with a F150, you cannot find another brand out there that offer longer trailers that are lighter.

8. Crossroads Customer Service..Talk to Humans that fix your problems
Even if either dealer turns out to be a pain to deal with for warranty work, you can always reach out directly to Crossroads. I can't say enough for the team there. If a toilet paper holder breaks, they'll send it to your house. No more dragging the trailer to the dealer and burning 10 bucks in gas round trip to fix a 10 cent part. They've even sent me the LED strip on the awning and told me over the phone how to install it.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
New Camper

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. We have settled on the 27bh as a compromise in length and budget, and when the dealer 5hours away asked what can we do to get your business (he is several thousand dollars less than the local dealer for the newest 2015 colors- which we prefer), I said you could magically make the trailer appear in our driveway (half joking as we would have to travel at this time of year through the pass with snow and ice, which is something we don't want to do) and we would probably buy it. Well, he said they will deliver it to our house for a few hundred dollars. So, obviously, that would be wonderful except that makes the PDI have to be done at our house also we will need to figure out the hitch system as we plan to purchase that from them as well. I'm just very impressed by how no nonsense and accommodating they seem- I emailed them the models I was interested in and they emailed/called back right away with a very impressive bottom line, compared to our local dealer, no haggling, very easy and straighforward. I could be completely wrong but the local dealer unfortunately makes me feel like we are a burden because we have visited them several times to look through trailers and when it comes time for price, they seem incredibly shady. We are finalizing our decision tomorrow and hope it all works out!
Thanks again for all of your help on this forum, it's really helping us feel better about our decision. I would have never considered buying from a dealer who isn't local, but now feel so much better about it.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I made the mistake of having the dealer,(mine was also 5 hrs away) deliver mine also. Driver was just a driver and knew nothing. Did a phone call pdi but after the $ went thru it was hard to get answers. If you are willing to fix things yourself and replace broken parts, go for it . If I was to do it again , i would drive to the dealer and make sure it is not on a weekend as techs do not work weekends.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Site Team

If you can, pick it up yourself. Whether it be now, next spring, or what ever.
PDIs are SO SO important. If you don't do one at the dealers place you will kick yourself over and over again.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #17
New Camper

Thanks everyone. This info is invaluable. We of course are excited to have it right now but the reality is we don't need it until the spring.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

We purchased our in January last year and picked it up in April. Make sure they book you the amount of time you need. Our dealer runs them every hour. We had them go though things with us quickly then leave us alone for an hour to check everything over. Then we went though the PDI. It took all day but in the end was worth it because we were 100% confident we wouldn't have any issues. In the end all that we missed was 1 LED on the front LED strip wasn't working. Everything else was fine.

Enjoy your trailer in 2015!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
JJC
Weekend Camper

The 27BH is a very nice unit! The wife and i just purchased the 25RB same unit but the 27 has the bunks. We looked for 6 months at dealers and shows before making our decision. Love the Sunset Trail line...Happy Camping!
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Welcome and hope you enjoy you new trailer, we too just traded in our 2011 26' for the 2015 32RL here in silverdale WA, we got ours in july so haven't used it much the wife and I can hardly wait till spring or before to get it back out.
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote