Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Re filling the propane when it's not on the A frame, do you all take your tanks/bottles out of the compartment to get them filled or do you have them filled while in the compartment. I live in WA state and we've only had to have them filled a couple times, but both times we've been told that they have to be out of the compartment. Although, once they see the compartment and we tell them that we don't know how to get them out of there they have filled them, but they grumble the entire time.

Has anyone had that same problem? If so, how have you handled it? We've got a 2008 ST27RB.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

i would pull them out for the simple reason that they weigh them to know if they are all the way full.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ialways remove ours for filling, as Spinella says they weigh them to see how much they take. Of course we have had our trailer almost 3 years and have only filled 2 bottles.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to mlsawmill
I think it is against the law to fill them in the compartment.

Around here in Houston they can not evenload them in your truck or car.

I had a broken wrist one time and had to put them in the truck bed when I asked about it I was told it is the law or maybe ins. problems and they just say it is against the law.

Also some places fill them by the gallon and not the weight.

I have had them filled at different places and one is just a propane place and when I go and have another one filled for the BBQ I will ask them...

Marvin
Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

marvin, never seen it by the gallons..always by weight here in new york. weighed right in front of you so your sure its full. 30lbs tanks for the trailer 20lbs for the house bbq.

kieth...two fill ups in three years!!!! aahh i guess its theat texas climate. we will do two maybe three in one year. not just for heat...dry camping for the fridge also.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I think it is always by the gallon here inWashington. Don'tthink I have seen it any other way in this state. You are supposed to remove the bottles unless they are permanently mounted like in a motorhome. But the guy at the local feed store has filled mine a couple of times without making me remove them.Most times I'm in a CG when I run out so have to remove them to transport anyway.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Site Team

I always take my bottles out. It's not that hard to do, and I believe it's required here. As far as filling----it depends on the fill station. Some have to have the bottle on the scale so they can weigh it. That way they know how many lbs. to charge you for. The bottles all have an empty weight stamped on them. Some stations have metered delivery, which will print out a ticket with the exact amount that was pumped into the tank. The old days of opening the bleeder valve and letting them fill till it comes out the valve is history in most places.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Don't know, had tanks filled in maybe a dozen states. All have required removing the tanks. Some use weight, most use gallons. All have opened the bleeder until it comes out, you have to open the bleeder or you couldn't fill the tank. The only place I can remember using weight only was in the RGV, they put the tank on the scale, zeroed it, hooked up the fill hose, opened the bleeder and started filling. Once it came out the bleeder they stopped, unhooked everything, looked at the weight on the scale and charged me per pound.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Take mine out as well....run it down to u-haul and let them put it on the scale. they also have a gallon reader as well so you know how much you are paying for....cheaper than many of the propane dealers in the area...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I take mime out of the Cruiser to have them filled. My last rig was a M/H and it had a 20 gal built in tank, so no removing.

I have never had them measured by anything but by the gallon. That is in just about every western state over about 40 years.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #11

Here in N.C. most places fill by the pound. However, the BP station in town fills by the size tank whether its empty or half full. I got suckered with that only once. Now I take it to be weighed and pay by the pound.(Even a blind hog finds an acorn Eventualy)

2011 CF30ES

Roughing It Smoothly!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I have always had to remove tanks to have them filled. I have three 30lb tanks, so I always have a spare full one. I have been charged by weight, volume, and even a flat rate based on bottle size regardless of actual amount required.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote