Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Film on the windows - cleaning suggestions please

I've got some sort of crud on the windows and can't seem to get it off. I've tried Windex, a couple of commercial window cleaners, and straight ammonia but can't seem to get it cleaned off.

I think this may be soap scum from washing the camper but can't be sure. I always try to make sure the windows are washed down and squeegeed before I move on to another part just to make sure nothing stays.

This is on most all the windows. I've taken pictures of curb side windows and tried to post them here.

Any suggestions on cleaners are welcome.

Thanks

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side Glass.jpg (86.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Window.jpg (58.7 KB, 20 views)
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Try a cleaner that is made specifically for the glass stove tops. It doesn't scratch and it works. Wife uses it on our stove.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weiman-Gl...15-oz/15107756
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Are those windows thermopane/dual pane by any chance?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Or you can get a 000 steel wool, that will take care of that
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Lloyd, the windows are thermopane. I was concerned that the seals had given out and moisture had infiltrated but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have this on all but a couple of windows and those I've scrubbed numerous times so this crud does seem to come off at some point.

I did do a test on a small window with heating it using a blow dryer to see if there was moisture that would evaporate. What's interesting is that with other glass units that fail, the symptoms are edge-to-edge or all along a side. On these. the crud is inset from the edge about an inch and is irregular in shape.

If these were single glass with storm windows, I'd just pull them all out and clean them.

I'm not sure how to get a picture of how the window actually looks. I'll try some more today and see if I can get a better picture. We're headed out to the store tomorrow so I'll pick up some of the glass stove cleaner then.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Site Team

What Frank posted on the 000 steel wool I have heard about, but it seemed like there was something else that was used with it. As kind of a lubricant maybe?

Here is the reason I asked if they were thermopane.

You Might Want to Forego Double-Paned Windows in Your Rig
Old 02-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Here at the coast, keeping your windows clear is always a problem. I've used Stoner's Invisible Glass and had pretty good results.

It's available at almost anywhere -- auto parts store, Walmart, etc.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

What is the model ?

Those look like dual pane tinted windows, mine do it too.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Lloyd, thanks for the article. Food for thought for sure. I certainly hope this isn't the problem but I won't be surprised.

Jeffur, did your windows start out like this or did it evolve?

I'm not sure where to go next. I'm trying a couple of different cleaners but I suspect that the camper will make a trip to a window place when I get home.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Mine , (probably 2 out of 6) did that since I've owned it. Specifically my two large rear windows in my 2011 36' Crossroads Seville. They aforementioned article in the previous post rings true.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
Site Team

I wonder if an extended warranty policy would cover something like that?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

suncoastdesigners.com
If you need to replace the double pane windows check out this company. I have friends that are pleased with their work.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Have successfully used 0000 steel wool and elbow grease to remove mineral deposits from windows. Wouldn't use anything more course. Polish with crumpled newspaper without colors. Apply rainx to keep from reoccuring. Let us know what works for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Al, I just re-read this whole thread and noted that you confirmed that these windows are the thermopane (dual pane) windows. Short of disassembling these windows, there's not much you can do when the seals fail.

This may be covered by the warranty.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodcarvingGypsy View Post
Lloyd, thanks for the article. Food for thought for sure. I certainly hope this isn't the problem but I won't be surprised.

Jeffur, did your windows start out like this or did it evolve?

I'm not sure where to go next. I'm trying a couple of different cleaners but I suspect that the camper will make a trip to a window place when I get home.

Any results yet?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

I thought I'd post up my results so far. What I find interesting is that one window is coming clean with the use of glass cleaner and much scrubbing. Another shows signs of clearing but I need to get a power scrubber involved as my shoulders can't handle the load.

I've tried straight ammonia, ammonia and vinegar, and straight vinegar with no good results.

I've tried denatured alcohol using both a paper towel & a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That didn't seem to make any difference.

I've used Invisible Glass on the windows. It seems to at least clean the glass. One window seems to be a little better but what I did on it was to spray it on and let it soak, then spray it again, and then clean it with paper towels and then a microfiber cloth. I'll try that again once the camper is home.

I used CRL Sparkle Glass Cleaner & Stain Remover. That took care of most of the water spotting. It's very much like the old BonAmi bars used to be available. It's sort of like SoftScrub but much finer particles so it doesn't scratch. That was some help.

I got some AMAZ Water Stain Remover that supposed to clear soap scum, hard water stains, etc. on shower doors and other surfaces. That stuff shouldn't be used on anything with paint. What I need with it is to dilute it to make it a bit more runny and then use a power pad with it.

What this looks like is a bit of residue left on the window from shipping based on the pattern. These windows are covered with a peel-off plastic that stops about an inch from the window border. What it looks like is that there is a bit of residue when removed. I think what may have happened was that either when I washed the roof or the camper, stuff got on the window and then baked into the residue. At least if the stuff comes off, that will maybe tell the tale. I've tried using a razor scraper carefully but that has it's own set of issues.

When I get it home in April, I'll try the polishing pad with the AMAZ cleaner, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner (carefully).

If none of those work, then I'll set an appointment with Suncoast Designers for when we come down next winter to have a look. I sent them an email requesting a quote on 3 windows & it came to about $900. Still better than new windows for sure.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I wonder if an extended warranty policy would cover something like that?
I tried that and no luck. Also talked to Crossroads and they were very quick to point out that the Seville was out of warranty.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodcarvingGypsy View Post
Also talked to Crossroads and they were very quick to point out that the Seville was out of warranty.

They don't miss a lick, do they?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I thought I'd post up the results from our visit this week to Suncoast Designers. Nice folks to deal with & we're pleased with our windows. They may be clearer than when we got the trailer.

They have an estimator but if you send them an email, you'll get a return email with the costs. We did 13 of 18 and it was about $3,600, expensive but definitely cheaper than replacement with new windows (the big windows were quoted at $2,000 each).

We're headed back in January for an adjustment to one of the sliding windows and will probably get the other 5 done at some point.

Suncoast is at https://suncoastdesigners.com/