Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

After being a member of this forum for nearly 5 years, I finally have a new CF305SKP sitting in my driveway. We just got back from RVW earlier this evening. We went down yesterday, got the tour of the trailer and had the hitch installed in the truck. All went well, in fact from the time we finalized the contract until we took delivery, RVW put the hitch on sale which saved us $189.00. They gave us the option of an in-store credit so we spent it on things we needed anyway. Last night at Indian Lake State Campgrounds the temperature got down to the low 30's, so the furnace got a good workout. Now that we're back in Michigan the temperatures might get down to the low 20's or upper teens on a few more nights. Can anyone tell me what temperatures might be a problem? At what temperature is running the furnace not even enough? What other things can be done short of re-winterizing the trailer?

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Congrats! How about some pics of the new rig? As for the furnace, we have used our Seville right down to 0F. We keep the electric fireplace going which outs out some heat, but would still go through a 30lb propane bottle every other day.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Winterizing should only take 1/2 hour or so. IMHO better to be safe then sorry.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have run water in the trailer down to -20C while camping with the furnace on with no freezing. If you are going to have it parked I would winterize it though.
We have also camped into the -30C's and the furnace has kept up. At those temps we usually run 1 or 2 small electric heaters, mostly to help circulate the air.
Enjoy your new trailer.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Congrats Gary, Your going to love it.

I agree with the others. Unless you are planning to use it soon I would winterize it to be safe. If you do want to use it in the near future and not winterize it right away you could set the thermostat in the low forties to keep it and the pipes in the basement from freezing but that will still use a lot of propane and you will have to be plugged into shore power or the furnace will drain your batteries quickly.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Congrats, may you have many good times in your new 5'r. In my other trailer (it was not insulated nearly as well as yours is) I once let things get a little frozen, Iset the furnace on 68 degrees and let it run for a few days and it thawed everything out with no problem. If youhave it set up and are staying in it I would not worry about it unless it got extremly cold. If you are putting it away and freezing temps are ahead winterize it. Don't forget the outside shower itsvery suseptable to freezing temps.

Bob
Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Congrats on the new trailer. I wouldn't worry to much about freezing unless its going to drop below freezing and stay there for a couple of days. I usually don't winterize until early December which gives me several nights well below freezing and have never had a problem.

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Running the pink stuff through is a lot less money than propane and far less money than a bursted pipe. It's quick, easy piece of mind.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new trailer....I would just run a small electric heater and leave the cabinet doors open...that is if you have a source of juice.....otherwise, as others have said, might be better to run a bit of pink stuff...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote