Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I have wanted to get my Cruiser weighed for a long time, but haven't gotten around to it because it was inconvenient. Last week I finally got to it. I was certain that the Cruiser was not overloaded, but I wanted especially to get individual weights on each axle. My rig has always rode about 3 inches high in the front as measured at the bottom of the frame. It tows like a dream but I was sure that the out of level condition was effecting the overall weight distribution. I have already done all the available adjustments to the hitch and pin box to level the trailer and 3 inches is the best I can get without raising the whole trailer.

Many of you may recall that Iposted aboutmy failed rear axle and repair last spring. Which is another reasonI wanted to get individual axle weights.

So off to the scales I went last week with the trailer loaded for my next trip. Also had full propane tanks, potable water tank at 1/3 , gray and black water tanks empty. The weigths are as follows.

Total Cruiser weight 10,492 lbs vs GVWR capacity of 11,760. 1268 lbs under max.

Font axle 3700 lbs vs GAWR capacity of 5200 lbs. 1500 lbs under max.

Rear axle 4580 lbs vs GAWR capacity of 5200 lbs 620 lbs under max.

Pin weight 2212 lbs vs advertised dry weight of 1600 lbs. 612 lbs over dry weight.

I also weighed the trailer on each side. The total weight on the curb side axles was 120 lbs less than the street side weight. Insignificant difference!

I was nottoo surprized to see that the rear axle was carrying 880 lbs more than the front axle.

I was a little surprized that the side to side weights were so close sincethe 30SK has 2 of the 3slides and all the appliances on the street side. I expecteddifference to be greater.

I did not expect to see my pin weight 612lbs over the dry pin weight. I suppose that is also a result of my high in the front condition.If the front axle was carring more of the loadI expect the pin weight would be less.

So I thought I would share this info as it may be helpful to some of you, especially you 30SK pullers.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Very interesting...and detailed...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Kurt:
I think it would be just the opposite. If you had it "low" in front, you would be transferring more weight to the pin because it is leaning that way. So you must have a lot of weight up front (storage compartment) or what ever, to be that heavy on the pin with it high on the nose. As far as axles, high in front will give you exactly what you ---more weight on the rear axle.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I'm wondering what those weights are at 60mph ?? The wind pushing on the cap what's the down force factor ? Hmm
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Kurt, I, like you, have wanted to do this as well. I just never got around to it! I have the same rig so the numbers were probably more interesting to me. Do you have anything out of the ordinary in the front that would cause such a high weight on the pin?

2007 Cruiser CF30SK
Glide Ride Pin Box
Reese 16K Slider
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Kurt:
I think it would be just the opposite. If you had it "low" in front, you would be transferring more weight to the pin because it is leaning that way. So you must have a lot of weight up front (storage compartment) or what ever, to be that heavy on the pin with it high on the nose. As far as axles, high in front will give you exactly what you ---more weight on the rear axle.

Lloyd, you know that is exactly what I thought as well. But after seeing these numbers it got me thinking. Most of the weight is supported on two points, the pin and the rear axle. With the front axle carrying far less than the rear. Now I'm thinnkigthat if the front axle was carrying more of the load as it would if the rig was level then the pin weight would be less. 880 lbs is a pretty signiicant difference in weight distribution on the axles that are only 33 inches apart. Anyway, I guess the only way to know for sure is to raise my trailer or have someone else with a lower truck weigh it. Neither of those things are going to happen anytime soon.

Stan, All I have in the front that was not stock is the JT Strong stabilizers anda second battery that is about 80 extra pounds. The rest is the usual camping things, chairs,rugs, hoses, barbeque, 5 plastic storage containers with misc stuff. None of those containers weighs more than 30 lbs. The bedroom closet and dresserhave clothes. I only have about 1300 lbs of additional weight total in the rig including the 20 or so gallons of water in my fresh water tank. That iscomparing the factory weight to my current total weight.

Bottom line is that towing out of level does impact load distribution more than I thought.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Ya know Kurt, you are probably right. If it was a single axle trailer, it would work the way I said, but being a tandem, it more then likely is lifting the front end and transferring weight to the kingpin.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

The 165 lbs of water in your rear-mounted fresh water tank should help lower the pin weight also, however it probably adds to the rear axle weight.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Site Team

I weighed our rig this fall before heading up to camp. I was always curious also. There probably aren't many 26RK owners out there but if there is a few, here is what I came up with.
Loaded and full of water.
Total..................15680
camper..............8480
truck..................7200
pin weight.........1820
steering axle/camper...4080
rear axle/camper.........4940
I run my hitch back about 4--8 in. from where it is suppose to be strictly because I like it there for the ride. I suppose if it was back where it's suppose to be, the weights would change.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
The 165 lbs of water in your rear-mounted fresh water tank should help lower the pin weight also, however it probably adds to the rear axle weight.

a

Dale, I agree. I could add more water in the tank, but I don't need to carry any more than a third of a tank and I don't want to add any more weight to the rear axle.

My trailerweights are all within the max allowed and theCruiser tows well so Iprobably won'traise her up forweigh distribution. Nowit would be nice to have moreclearance between my truckbed rails and the bottom of the Cruiser overhang. But that is an issue for another day.

Given the rear axle failure I had this spring, my main reason for weighing the rig was to make sure I did not have that rear axle overloaded and it is not.

Well I've got to go do a brake job on our other cruiser, my wife's PT Cruiser, before the snow hits.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser