Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fireplace Blowing fuses

Question for you all. I have a new 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve, 26RB. Have an issue with the fireplace blowing a 15amp fuse. I accidentally pushed the rocker switch for the fireplace to on while not being hocked up to 110 power. When I did I heard a pop and the main cabin lights all went out. I have power to the bathroom and bedroom lights but nothing to the main cabin. I replaced the 15amp fuse and because the fireplace rocker switch was still on it blew the fuse again. I repeated, with the switch off and all was well... Being a gluten for punishment, I hit the fireplace switch again and the fuse blew.... Any ideas??? Other than don't push the switch..... It shouldn't do anything on 12volts, let alone blow a fuse...
Old 01-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Fireplace is 110v and the 15a fuses are 12v . Probably another example of the assemblers confusing wires again.
Another chance for Christian to implement a quality check for electrical before the trailer leaves the factory...
You can take the switch panel off and see if there are wires crossed or somehow touching each other.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Harley,

Thanks for the post, got an appointment for Tuesday at CW so I'll let the experts play with the electrical issues... Guess Im kinda glad I discovered it when I did as we have planned a month long trip to Florida in mid March. Should be enough time to get this resolved before the trip... fingers crossed...
Old 01-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

first check in the manual to make sure it's the right size fuse

NOT that anyone building it could put the wrong size in and you assumed they knew what they were doing and just replaced it with a similar one...
Old 01-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

The fire place runs on 120v and should never blow a 12v fuse. Either the 120v wire is bare and touching the 12v wire or they connected the fireplace circuit to 12v which would blow the fuse on overload
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

i don't have a fireplace buy I know all the other components, frig, heat, a/c, hot water heater have 12v controls. If the fireplace has a 12v control, especially if it is thermostatically controlled, it could be a problem with that. If you have a manual for the fireplace check to see if it says anything about it. That's where I would look first.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank all for the tips and suggestions. I've got an appointment at CW this morning so hopefully there electricians can pinpoint and repair the issue. I had not thought about the 12volt control, that makes sense. I'll post the solution, it might help someone else.

Thanks again
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Talking

Well, got the camper back this morning from CW, turns out that the reason the fuses were blowing was that a screw was running through the wire that went to the rocker switch for the Fireplace/Elec Hot Water Heater. They had to pull a new wire to the breaker box. Luckily this was covered under warranty.

So, if this problem ever happens to anyone else, this could be the cause.

CW did great job getting me in and out quickly, I'm now ready for our upcoming Florida/North Carolina vacation... Life is good....
Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Glad they found your problem and got you in and out so quickly. Enjoy your vacation.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks for closing the loop on this post! It really helps when there is a resolution to a posted problem for all of us to see!
Joedh2 is offline   Reply With Quote