Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Question Fireplace Safety

Our new 2018 Grand Reserve came with a fireplace. We used the trailer a few times last fall and really enjoyed the use of the fireplace as a space heater. Recently, I read a post on a Facebook RV group where someone had a fire caused by their fireplace.

We have left our fireplace on all night while sleeping for a source of heat aside from the gas furnace. We have also used it while we were outside by the campfire to warm the trailer in the evening.

My concern is now, can it be trusted when you're either sleeping or not actually inside the trailer awake?

Anyone had any safety issues with their fireplace?
Do you use it as we have?

Thanks
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Team

We have used the fireplace just like you do for the past 5 years and have had no issues with it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I’ve read a couple posts like you read, where electrical issues have occurred, but I’ve also read that many, many use it like you do. I use it while sleeping if needed. One thing to check if you're concerned is to see if there is any sawdust behind the fireplace, and make sure all the electrical connections look good. The fireplace should come out if its like most, with the removal of the metal frame (magnetic), and then four screws. The fireplace itself is very light and you can just pull it slowly out to check everything.

Edit: They should have an overheat sensor also that will turn it off.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I had a fireplace heating unit burn up in an '06 Holiday Rambler.. Fortunately I was looking at it when it went and only had some charred framing in the cabinet, no catastrophic fire. They're surrounded by wood, you know.

Last year, I had a small, cheap plastic heater go up before my eyes with 18 inch flames. I had to fling it out the door by it's (hot) cord.

I would not ever trust one out of my sight and would be vigilant then. There are probably safer alternatives but electric hot air heaters are inherently unsafe.

I say, use your propane, especially at night. Its not that expensive and the risk/reward ratio is orders of magnitude better than electric hot air. Why risk it?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mike
We camp with friends that used their fireplace in the spring and fall, until they smelled what they said smelled like wires burning...They took the fireplace out of their camper...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

Basically, I am against the indoor fireplace, and I don't think it is a better idea because you are not at your home, you are in RV and anytime due to the burning of wire, anything could happen. Secondly, I wouldn't recommend you to keep it on while sleeping because it is hazardous. We mostly use outdoor fireplace while camping. In severe winters we prefer to use space heaters indoors but again, we don't use them while sleeping. Safety comes first.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have used mine as you describe for the past 7 years without a problem.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Tommy was referring to my rig. We used it as you for about two years till one nite I woke to the smell of burning wires. Turned it off and removed it immediately. Not worth the small amount of propane that the furnace uses. Followed Tommy’s lead as he had his removed before delivery and had doors installed for extra storage. ( great idea, just tell him!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 998C915A-8799-4537-85B5-CAA348AE83A8.jpeg (38.3 KB, 66 views)
2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I feel pretty confident most of y’all have the two way fridge. It’s a hell of a lot more a risk of fire than that fireplace. I have a friend that is in litigation from the fridge burning their Montana to the ground. He said there are over 30K of those fridges a year that catch on fire.

Anything electrical can short and cause a fire. I just changed the tank on the Atwood water heater. The hot wire on the element was burned up. Never smelled it, didn’t trip the breaker. I haven’t opened the old tank, but I suspect the element broke, letting the hot side arc to the aluminum tank. It developed a bad leak.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fireplace, safety