Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

FIRMAN gen sale.

This little FIRMAN inverter generator is on sale today and tomorrow, reviews are good, 5 star mostly but as usual there are a few negative. You know the story, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. This is Canada CostCo, not sure about USA. For the price I ordered one, $666.00 to the door. I was always watching for the Champion which was on sale here in Canada about 2 months ago for $1110.00 taxes included at the local Canadian tire. Time will tell if the $454 dollars was a saving or not. UTube vids were very good.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

just a little update on this Genie after reading every review and vids, plus a good break-in procedure I'm sure it will be a gem. The most common problem is few and far between, but #1 is a poorly installed spark-plug, sometimes cracked and of very poor quality. So I already bought a Champion copper top, No problem there cause I want to add a little oil into the piston before I turn it over. #2 issue is the choke cable can be poorly set and possibly crushed from factory, must be a new kid on assembly line. This apparently will be a simple fix if you know a bit about small engines and there carb systems. This has been addressed on a Utube vid, I see this as part of it's first going over and personnel quality control. That has been the only complaints tied to the Gennie. So after adding crankcase oil and a couple eye droppers of oil into the piston, spin it a dozen times slowly then install the spark-plug, add the gas and check for leaks, start her up, no load for a hour, change oil. Start her up small load on for 5 min then no load 5 min using 600-800 doing this for a couple hours, and you now have 3 hours on the machine. Again I'm changing the oil then add load to 1/2 watts 1500W for intermittent again on and off and occasionally max it out to near 2900W. After another couple hours your now at 5 hours, machine is broke in, Again I'm changing the oil to my desired quality and brand, run Gennie another 5 min, turn off fuel, let the little girl cool down and find her a new corner. That very first pull is the most important, make sure it's NOT DRY. Were luck here as all gas is gas and I always add stabil to every gerry can before it gets filled. That's my break-in method, 2 extra liters of oil in the first few hours and small engines will out live most reading this post. 4 oil changes, first fill, @1hr, @3hr, @5hr Castrol GTX 10/30 If you want you can also add some Marvel Mystery oil on the final oil change for dry start elimination next time.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I've tried several generators with my travel trailer, a Troy Bilt 5500 was way too noisy, so I went to the Honda 2000s, 2 of them linked together will run one A/C. Quiet but then you have 2 motors to maintain. Finally, have a Honda 7000 IS and cannot say enough positives about it. You can stand next to it and carry on a conversation, very quiet. It does take a couple of younger men to load and unload into back of my pickup but I get around that with the front end loader on my tractor. Now, if I can only figure out how to use the 6 gallon tank(s), siphons from them, I used with the 2 smaller Hondas so I can run it for several days without refueling.
BillBolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
New Camper

What model is it? The 3300 W from costco? Think it will run a 15k btu a/c?

Thanks
jamiehorwood33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiehorwood33 View Post
What model is it? The 3300 W from costco? Think it will run a 15k btu a/c?

Thanks
Yes its the W03081, Cosco had a 2 day sale another $150 off. Cost me $665.99 coming to the door. I'm not sure about the 15000 AC. Some reviews by others claim it runs there 15,000's, but must be on the edge. My RV air is 13,500, which states it requires 2750W start up and 1250W running. For my situation and when we would use the air in regard to our camping behavior I know this little Gen will be fine. I also had no interest with an electric start, or remote. I almost bought the Champ mid Sept, both have equal reviews, 6 of 1, half dozen the other. Mine is suppose to be delivered Monday, I'll give it a good inspection, and break-in, I'll tie it to specific shop tools to break-in and monitor the load for the 1'st 5 hr and multiple oil changes. I think I mentioned on previous post about a couple known factory possible problems, they'll be addressed before the recoil gets the first yank. I'll let you know what I think Monday evening, good or bad, but my guess it'll be ok and appears to have all the necessities.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Got the little Firman W03081 gen a few days ago, very nice little unit, very quiet. Works just as they should. changed the oil 3 times in first 5 hours while doing break-in, and glad I did. Ran like a top but I did throw the original spark plug in garbage and replace with a Champion before ever pulling the recoil. IMO on a scale of 1-10, yep you guessed it, 100% happy. Fits comfortably under the truck-box cover with about 3 inches to spare, out of sight, out of mind. It does weigh 95 lbs so its not overly difficult to man handle into the back of the truck by yourself if you have to, and I did make a platform to park the gen onto so it can't slip around while in back of the truck. Good deal..