Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

First Blow Out

Had a nice relaxing weekend at Occonecee State Park then it happened my first blow out. It was loud, got off the road, it was tight.
Pull on to a nice fellas drive way apron. He help me change it.
They were Autogrip 225/75R/15 Load Range E 3 years old, with a little over 10,000 miles. Made in China. I was running 80 psi as recommended.
Tore off the plastic fender skirt, with some minor damage to the metal skirt. Also the copper gas lines were hit but luckily no damage. The new plastic skirt is a little bigger so it will be able to cover the small hole. We were very lucky. We pull to Yellowstone, Blackhills and the Grand Canyon and back from Virginia last year. But this time l am going to try Goodyear Endurance. I have attached a couple of pictures.

Remember check your tire pressure daily and check your tire for max speed most are only rated for 65 MPH.
2012 Cruiser CFL28 RL
Busterman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I hate that for you. Just recently replaced my 2016 Cruiser 5er with five new Goodyear Endurance including the spare. My China bombs only about 1500 miles on them. Never had a blowout but was worried constantly about them blowing.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

a tpms is suggested too.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I had 4 china bombs go out over 2 days trying to get home. That's why I upgraded a load range and went to LT tires. Plenty of people disagree but I'm sold on them after a few years and thousands of miles.

Sorry factory tires are a learning experience for most of us the last 10 years or so. Glad it wasn't worse.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormseeker View Post
I had 4 china bombs go out over 2 days trying to get home. That's why I upgraded a load range and went to LT tires. Plenty of people disagree but I'm sold on them after a few years and thousands of miles.

Sorry factory tires are a learning experience for most of us the last 10 years or so. Glad it wasn't worse.

I think LT tires are fine as long as weight rating is okay. I ran them on our Montana Mountaineer. The Rushmore is a little too heavy for the LTs. I went up to all steel G rated tires on it.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

That was me all the time. But we just gotta stay on the road. ������
2012 Cruiser CFL28 RL
Old 08-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Looking at them now
2012 Cruiser CFL28 RL
Old 09-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
New Camper

Check out the youtube video on SAILUN tires. Yes they are mage in china but great tires.
I think they are Sailub S637 and load range G... watch the guy step on the regular RV tires and then the Sailuns... wow what a sidewall, you can see the difference.
islander32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I had a blow out as well. I went up one tire rating, instead of "D" rating tires like the ones that came new with the trailer, I had "E" rating tires installed, and they are Goodyear as well,like people have mentioned. More $$$$$

The tires like the axels are severely UNDER rated or rated only for a couple of hundred pounds of cargo/people/food/ water etc over the trailer dry weight. That is why I went to a higher rated tire.

Also due to "bent" axels (factory) I also had higher rating axels installed when I was informed that the factory axels could not be adjusted as they usually fold bend or kink when adjustments are made to Caster/Camber/Toe-In. The original axels, like the original tires are rated just slightly higher than the trailer dry weight.

Higher ratings on these 2 components, would cost the manufacturer more $$$$, passed on to the customer and at that point the customer would probably not buy that trailer. Therefore lets use the minimum rating components and hopefully all goes well.

I have never hauled more stuff than what the trailer is rated for, but at 5000 kilometers roughly 3000 miles 2 tires were severely wore out on the inside of the thread, took the unit in to a frame shop they gave me the bad news regarding the Caster/Camber/Toe-In, at their suggestion I took the trailer to the dealer and asked for warranty, they said No the trailer was past warranty (bought in May I showed up in June in year later 13 months). I requested they contact the axel company they originally said No axles (by Serial number) were over 2 years old, they eventually agreed to send new axels (original rating) but I would have to pay for installation costs and no warranty, I had them do that. Dealer quoted me a cost of $1200 - $1500 to do the work and could not even look at the job for 6 -8 weeks.

I then returned to the frame shop and new higher rated axels installed, different manufacturer, with a years warranty, for $1200. I would have gone up another rating on the axels but that would have meant changing the entire suspension system.

When our tire blew it took out: the entire fender skirt, crumpled the tin that wraps down and under the frame, and 1 clearance light.

In the 6 years we have owned this trailer there has been a total of 10 tires (including the 4 that are on it now) on this unit. We have put lots of miles on it but not enough to even wear our a proper set of tires, with proper sized axels. In total less than 25000 kilometers (roughly 16000 miles)

Nice trailer, like the layout, but every time I'm on the road I worry about another incident.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
I had a blow out as well. I went up one tire rating, instead of "D" rating tires like the ones that came new with the trailer, I had "E" rating tires installed, and they are Goodyear as well,like people have mentioned. More $$$$$
I did the same on my 2013 CRSTR 5'er. I upped the tire rating from a D to an E after numerous blow outs during the 3rd year of having the tires on the trailer. We once had 3 of 4 tires blow out on our 1999 Forest River 5er on a trip to the Sierras when the Central Valley summer temp was about 110 to 113 degrees. As a result, I now replace my trailer tires every 4 years regardless of the amount of mileage we put on the trailer.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote