Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Fixed my stabilizers, eliminated the motors.

We took our 2011 sunset trail (new to us ) out this week for the first time. Well after spending a couple weeks adding drawers, and everything and anything that needed some TLC I thought everything was ship shape for our first trailer trip, and it was except the rear stabilizer. It did work here at home once down a bit and back up, ( apparently that was the last time )
So got home yesterday and priced a motor, freighted to Canada with exchange, customs duties etc, around that $450.00CAD. Took the motor apart, the nylon planetary gear next to the motor shaft is ratched completely. Now the manual compression pin for the front and rear stabilizers are both sheered off so you know something previous has occured. So I also checked out the front and thats also on its last leg, still works but just, to say the least. So need 2 motors about $900.00. after 6 years, not going to happen. I think I can fab something a little more reliable than that.
So off with both motors, remove the legs cross braces, slide out the stabilizers, on the bench and remove the threaded shaft in order to knock out the compression wrist pins that were for the previous manual tool and the pin that holds the machined piece to the threaded rod, redrilled the machined piece and the threaded rod wrist pin out to 1/4 inch grade 8 bolt and chucked there 1/8 inch compression wrist pin. Took a 1/2 inch nut (uses 3/4 inch socket), drilled out the threads and pounded that nut that over the end and welded it on. I now have a 3/4 inch socket as my manual lift and lower, for both the stabilizers joined to the threaded rod with a 1/4 inch grade 8 bolt. Went and found a 1/2 inch speedo with a 3/4 inch socket for manual use at a pawn shop for $5 bucks. Bought new a (for the trailer only )1/2 inch mastercraft cordless drill on sale today for $132.00 Canadian taxes in, at Canadian tire, and a few extra 3/4 inch sockets incase a person might loose one. Total cost was $150.00, and will never have to worry that my stabilizers will calf when there down and don't have an allen wrench and a 5/16 to remove the motors in order to lift them. This was a fix for my liking.
Now anyone that decides to replace there motors I got a tip for you, If your motor comes with the boot, put a hose clamp around the boot to keep out the water, then silicone the the crap out of where the wires enter the motor, never raise your stabilizers all the way up, and as soon as you hear the motor work when applying pressure downwards STOP. If you keep the motor dry is should last a life time, but the nylon planetary gear is the disease to it all.
Today I eliminated the whole disease with my stabilizers that'll last my lifetime. Limiting factor now is the legs.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

In case anyone wants to order a Lippert stabilizer motor...check here.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00S2IALJM/...d=ILSOFBOMT5MP
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I also seen that motor also on amazon but the 2 to 5 months shipping wait time wasn't a strong purchasing feature.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Not sur eabout the motor, but install this lci app for a lot of good info..