Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Hinge fix

Mark,
I bought a 3 inch hinge at menards and installed it at the middle of the flex guard where it broke. Thanks goodness I caught the problem before the wiring was destroyed from rubbing on the top of my tires! I had to make a minor repair to the wiring insulation too.
Gary Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Thanks Gary,
You and me both, I was prepping the trailer for a trip and crawled under the slide to check something else I it caught my eye. I am also going to call Lippert tomorrow to see if they'd send me a replacement belt. Waiting for them (Menard's) to build a store by my house, supposedly coming next year.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Site Team

All you need is a piece of light weight belting. Cut it about 6 in. long and the same width as the flex guard. Clamp it up there and put in a few pop rivets.
It will last forever and flex the way it's suppose to.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
I knew I was going to need to repair this sooner or later. Used the original Flexguard and added hinges at flex points. Riveted everything together. The Flexguard on our cruiser needed to fold in half and probably broke the first time the slide was brought in. Had to notch areas where FG hit slide bolts.
This is the same repair I did except I used pop rivets instead of bolts.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
All you need is a piece of light weight belting. Cut it about 6 in. long and the same width as the flex guard. Clamp it up there and put in a few pop rivets.
It will last forever and flex the way it's suppose to.

Lloyd,

I'm pretty handy around the house and car, but outside of fighting Floyd Maywether's for his, not sure what you mean by lightweight belt.

Can you give me an idea or example? I've read of people using sections of serpentine belting, but that seems to be overkill and expensive

Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #26
Site Team

Mark, I will take a picture of mine today and post it to give a better idea.
It's just some very light weight conveyer belting I happened to have laying around.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #28
Site Team

picture of belting riveted to flex guard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1415.jpg (63.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
Seasonal Camper

I just noticed this spring after getting our trailer out to de-winterize it before our first trip that all 3 of ours were broke right in the middle. The one on the main slide (door side) doesn't seem to be much of a problem seeing how it just has a couple of 12v wires connect to it and isn't really sagging. That one I fixed with a couple of wire ties as well as the one for the gas line going into the kitchen slide. The problem came with the one holding the 12v and 110v wiring. That one I had to use a 3" hinge to fix that one. I was surprised that these broke only after our first year of use but shouldn't be after seeing some of the poor quality stuff Lippert produces.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

I repaired mine just as Lloyd did except i used pieces of leather. when they first broke Crossroads sent new ones to my home. i have yet to figure out what to use them for.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
I repaired mine just as Lloyd did except i used pieces of leather.
I think leather would work just as good. Tongue, or side out of an old work boot, old belt.
That would make for a pretty cheap fix. Just remember on either way to use washers on the other side of your pop rivet.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

I did call Crossroads because the removed/replaced the belt when they did the warranty work at the factory last summer. Clearly, it was mounted to high and at an angle clearly kinking the belt.

Wow, what a difference a year makes. Customer service told me even if the work they did caused the damage, I only had a 90 day warranty. I asked to be put through to Andy, but thought I'd try parts first. No parts department anymore, just a voicemail to contact my dealer for all parts.

Very disappointing. The belt is a 10-20 dollar fix. I hung up and called Lippert. 20 bucks shipped. Not worth fighting this one. All I can say, is wow, what a difference. A year ago they would have figure out how to get me a part of which I'd be happy even to pay for at this point.

I was willing to look past all the issue we had that led up to a trip to the factory for over 30 hours of repairs because they treated us well and were willing to work with us. I've posted dozens of positive reviews, but now..wow they really have changed. Factory rally, no thanks I'll pass this year. Hope Cripe reads this one.