Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Follow up - fridge in winter?

I received a lot of good advice when I posted my first question, so I'm coming back with a follow-up! I will be parking my 25RB at a Provincial Park on a campsite, and visiting it once a month or so for a couple of nights at a time. I have access to 30 amp electrical service (only when I am on-site) and the water system is fully winterized.

My initial plan is to use the trailer fridge on electric while there. Since it will be freezing or below most of the winter, I assumed it would not be a big deal to use the fridge. However, I read somewhere that it can be harmful to turn on/use a fridge in very cold ambient conditions. I could always throw a cooler in the TV but would rather save myself some cold trips! Thoughts?

One more thought-since I will be running my 30 amp cord and a 30 amp extension cord from the trailer to the post, and leaving it outside all winter, should I wrap it in something to minimize damage? Maybe that corrugated plastic wrap that you use to consolidate cables behind a stereo? Should I wrap the plug connections? They will be buried under snow for much of the winter.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Blake
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
Site Team

I think you are going to have a problem trying to run the fridge in the winter.
A lot of people have tried it and found out it wasn't a good thing.

Google--- RV fridge work in freezing weather

There is a lot of good reading there.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

For the cord just make sure it's rated for outdoor use. Marine is a good example of all weather use.
If your fridge is ammonia ( most RV fridges are) it should have the heat race wire on the condenser just before it reaches the receiver. It will also have a thermocouple close to where the heat trace is but affixed to the back wall / plenum of the fridge. When the temps drop - it keeps the ammonia flowing.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Site Team

I would say, camping in temps that are below zero might be a learning experience. Let alone, trying it in 20 to 30 below zero. Those cracker boxes we call campers, just aren't made for that. I'll bet they would/will look like an ice castle inside after a short amount of time.
Let us know how it all works out for you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I would say, camping in temps that are below zero might be a learning experience. Let alone, trying it in 20 to 30 below zero. Those cracker boxes we call campers, just aren't made for that. I'll bet they would/will look like an ice castle inside after a short amount of time.
OP is from Ontario , so -20 deg is in Celsius so it is about -2 f. Still cold tho.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Hello all,

Happy new year! We went up to the trailer for 3 nights on the 27th and had a blast! It was about 15F when we arrived, inside and out. Took the furnace and 2 electric heaters about an hour to get it up to 55F inside. We were able to keep the interior at about 65F during the day on electric alone,which I thought was impressive.

I decided to use the fridge, since it was basically prechilled, and it worked fine. We obviously empty out all the food when we depart, and leave the fridge and freezer doors open. So far, so good.

Raked about 2' of snow off the roof, but had to leave the slide out when we left as the seals were encased in an inch of solid ice. Will head up every few weeks to inspect and shovel as needed.

The adventure continues!

Blake

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Good to hear the fridge worked fine! Sounds great adventures ahead.
dipped02 is offline   Reply With Quote