Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

This past weekend I notice water dripping from the rear of the my PP. After returning home I dropped the bottom cover and looked at the water tank. In my unit the tank sits on a piece of plywood. This wood does not supports about 75 percent of the tank and the tank is just sitting there not secured at all. The problem in my case is the tank shifted allowing the screw threads securing the bottom cover to rub causing a hole. Asking around some of the RV places there is no way to repair the hole so I am guessing a new tank is in order. Since we do not dry camp much it can wait but will have to carry water inside for those stops along the road.

Just FYI
Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

George, when we got our PP and made our first trip with water in the tank I noticed it dripping at the back corner. When we got home I dropped the bottom membrane at the back and found the hose clamps on the fill were not tight. I fixed that then noticed what you are talking about on the tank support. I had some 1X4's laying around and put three across to support the tank. We never really use the tank but figured while I was in there I would fix it. Kind of makes you wonder how some of the other stuff is rigged under there.....
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

George and Debi,

I have fixed my fresh water tank using a product called "Aquamend." It's a two part epoxy putty type of product. I had to create a larger hole to assure I get enough putty inside the openingtobe confidentit would hold, knowing the plastic surface alone wouldn't bond well enough. It dries very strong and seals well.

We do not use the fresh water tank to drink out of so I'm not concerned with possible contamination issues. The product is however, recommended for repair fresh water lines.

Save a few bucks and try before investing in a new tank.

I think it's a good idea to check each of your tanks for proper support as I posted a recent thread on my black tank falling through with the L-bracket twisting because oftoo much weight.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Kieth ditto on things are put under the units. I am sure all the units are that way.

Bob thanks I will look for that stuff and give it a try. If not it looks like a couple hundred bucks.

thanks both for your input.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

"I think it's a good idea to check each of your tanks for proper support as I posted a recent thread on my black tank falling through with the L-bracket twisting because oftoo much weight."

I think Crossroads should take a look at their process for tank support and make some changes. This kind of issue has been going on since we bought our first CR unit in 04. Owners should not have to deal with dropping the bottom membrane to see if their tanks are supported enough not to fall out. You can't tell me it would cost that much more time or money to install good metal supports under the tanks instead of pieces of plywood.JMHO
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

George, I believe that tank is very repairable. I think there are some reasonably priced kits out there that will plastic weld your tank. Or you could try good old eternobond http://www.eternabond.com/?Click=2058&gclid=CLDt_cWBqqkCFQEKbAodhWw7Lw

You might alsotry doing a search on RV.net for water tank repairs. I"m sure someone has done it successfully over there.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I also had support, fill tube and vent tube issues with our 05 Silverado and repaired myself!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Curt looked over at RV.net and many had used the plastic welding. Looked at some videos on youtube and it looks like a very doable repair.

Thanks all again for your experience in these problems. I think this is forum is so important to all who seek solutions to problems and share their ideas.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Glad we could help.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote