Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

That white plastic hose that comes out of the vents on the refer compartment "door" broke. The hose just cracked apart. It is now too short to drain outside the refer compartment. My question is this. Where does the water that drains out of this hose come from? Is it the water that condenses on the fins inside the back of the fridge and then drips down into that tray and into a little "collection" well? (don't know if I am explaining this right) Can I replace this entire hose easily? When I look up into the fridge compartment fromoutside the rv I can't see where the hose ends and don't think I can reach it. I am wondering if that little "collection well" inside the fridge pops out and connects to that hose. If so can I just pop that well out, run a new piece of hose through that opening, reconnect it to the well and snake the hose back out the compartment vent?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Lonnie, yes it comes from the fridge fins into the tray and out the hose. I would not call what they install from the factory a hose, it is more like wire loom for electrical wiring. Take a piece down to your auto parts store and get a piece of fuel line big enough to work and replace it with that.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Nothing wrong with splicing on another length of hose, 1) if the remaining portion of the hose is not cracked and 2) the splice doesn't leak. Because of the loom type of hose, hose clamps probably won't work because they will crack the hose more. But since this is not a pressure line, a slip fitting should work.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree with Dayle1, try and find a piece of thin wall rubber hose just big enough to slip over the plastic hose. That way it will still fit through the opening in the grill.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

By all means if yours is hard to get to look at splicing it. Ours was easy to access and I got tired of the plastic one splitting. I did enlarge the opening through the vent in ours for a little bit larger hose.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

A new one at the RV shop is only a couple of bucks.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

As a side note, our new Cruiser has a Norcold Refridge and the drain tube goes into a small pan inside the exterior refridge compartment. The drip pan is mounted so the water will just evaporate I guess. No hose through the grill.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

OK, I got this fixed last night. I went out with a mirror to see if I could look up and see where the hose terminated and in the process I realized that there was a piece of 1/8" thick piece of wood that I could remove (2 screws) and it would allow me to see up easier. After doing that I could see where the hose terminated. The hose ran up through the coils and then over to a barbed nipple. That nipple is the end of the "drip well" that is inside the fridge. The old hose was held onto this with a zip tie. I had my DW hold the drip well inside the fridge to make sure I did not break it during this process and I pulled the old hose off. Other than working somewhat "blind" it was pretty easy. The old hose broke into about 4 pieces. It was very brittle! I replaced it with 1/2" ID reinforced clear rubber hose. This was a little stiff because it was cold but I just slipped it over the nipple and put a zip tie on it. The zip tie was the hardest part again because I was working somewhat blind. It probably wasn't necessary to hold it in place but I was already there so I figured what the hey. I did cut a small piece out of the vent cover (like Keith did) to allow the newhose tofeed throughthe vents easier since it was 3/4"OD and larger than the old hose. I am very suprised at how brittle the old "hose" was. It could have easily cracked up in the coils where I would not have noticed and then leaked so a long time.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Chuck,

Good to hear that you got it taken care of. Guess I need to take a close look at my hose, it is a lot older that what was on your trailer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote