Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #41
Family Vacation Member

Well...Fixit, Stan, I celebrated too soon.

Just got back from checking on the fridge after work. when I walked up a noticed a puddle of water outside the rig, and it was dripping slowly out of the drain line outside the cover. I went in and the temp was 45 degrees. Now the funny part. There is evidance of ice on the back of some of the fins. Could it be that it worked but then defrosted itself?

Could my connections be wrong? Using the Middle and the Right side ?

I went ahead and turned it to about 3/4 to the left rather than full left.

I also checked the wires to make sure none got too hot and melted and they seem to be ok but I cannot see all the way up.

Open for ideas here.

Thanks

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #42
Seasonal Camper

Did you connect all the wires back together, as in cut the thermostor wires, then added in 1 wire each to each thermistor wire and connected them all back together? Like this call each wire for the thermostor A and B. You cutB wire then twisted it back together with 1 wire from the pot? Then cut A wire and twisted it back together with the other wire from the pot?

Did you connect the wires to the pot. right side and middle with the shaft towards you? That is, you point the shaft of the pot towards your face, and while looking at the tabs, then use right and middle tabs.

The water maybe from when you had said the inside of the fridge got up to 60 degrees. It probablt melted the ice that was on the fins. The fridge wont defrost itself at all unless it gets hot inside the fridge itself. You had said earlier it got up to 60 degrees inside the fridge at one point and that maybe the water puddle. Or at 45 degrees the ice may melt on the fins too and drip off of it.

How much ice was on your fins?Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #43
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561
Did you connect all the wires back together, as in cut the thermostor wires, then added in 1 wire each to each thermistor wire and connected them all back together? Like this call each wire for the thermostor A and B. You cutB wire then twisted it back together with 1 wire from the pot? Then cut A wire and twisted it back together with the other wire from the pot?
Correct, this is what I did.

Cut wire (brown and blue, it was also labeled on the board as thermostat) pulled insulation back and used strippers to expose about 1/2 inch of wire on all ends. In this case a total of 6 open wires, 2 from one side of the cut, 2 from the other, and 2 from the new. Added new wire with one cut end and combined that with the other cut end. Tapped up and repeated the other wire in the same process. in other words combined 3 wires on one lead. Make sense?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #44
Seasonal Camper

You may have cut the wrong wires let me go outside and take mine apart and see what my board says on it. Give me a few minutes

Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
Seasonal Camper

Also what year is your trailer?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #46
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Also what year is your trailer?
2011 board 358 I think is on the cover.

I think.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #47
Family Vacation Member

Under the main plug that hold 4 wires, there is a seccond plug that holds 2 and the board is labled thermostat on the board. It also matched the coloring of the off white line inside the fridge itself.

The big plug on mine is from the top of the eyebrow control board.

The smaller one is the stat.

At least on mine.

I also know that mine fridge was made in 2010

Edited by: rollingrock
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #48
Seasonal Camper

Mine is a 2004. On my main board there is a plug and on the board it is labeled P2, thats my thermistor wires. The plug that goes into it has two wires, they are both white with the off white colored covering that covered two wires.

What you can do is have someone inside the trailer fridge pull on the thermistor wire while you are outside seeing what wire moves, grab the wire outside too and you will be able to tell when they pull on it,that will tell you if you have the correct wires.

Let me take a picture of it and see if I can post it here. give me another few minutes.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #49
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Mine is a 2004. On my main board there is a plug and on the board it is labeled P2, thats my thermistor wires. The plug that goes into it has two wires, they are both white with the off white colored covering that covered two wires.

What you can do is have someone inside the trailer fridge pull on the thermistor wire while you are outside seeing what wire moves, grab the wire outside too and you will be able to tell when they pull on it,that will tell you if you have the correct wires.

Let me take a picture of it and see if I can post it here. give me another few minutes.
I am 99% sure I got the right wire, now I am just wondering if there was a change in the pot part to make to work differently. on mine if I am looking at it with the knob towards me, the 3 prongs are up there is 0 0 0 I used these 0 X X Then turned the pop all the way left or counter clock wise.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #50
Seasonal Camper

It started raining so I will get the pics for you after it stops. it should only be about 1/2 hr or so. I checked the weather map.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #51
Full Time Camper

It sounds like you did everything right to me. It also sounds like the fridge was working and then you lost power for several hours and then it came back on and you then showed up and noticed the melting water. Talks to the neighbor and see if power went out.

Also, I have not heard of this, but if it was set to full cold over night, maybe it ran too long and blew the fuse on the board. Worth a check.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #52
Family Vacation Member

Fixit...thanks for taking the calls today...nice chatting with you. I responded to your email and sent you the photos...

Sending a few more.

RR

AKA JP

Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #53
Seasonal Camper

Stan,

I talked to Jason and yes you are right he does have it hooked up right.

I think what it was is, Dinosaur board told him to put his thermistor on the center fins. So we talked about it on the phone and we decided that he should put the thermistor back to the right side on the last fin and see what that does. I think that is what his problem is because it is too cold right in the center of the fins so the fridge is shutting down too early, thinking that it is cold enough, when it is not.

We will see tomorrow when he checks it.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #54
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Stan....i don't think I lost power or I would have heard all the alarms and resets going on at storage. My rig is parked next to several PreVosts and high end class A's. Me and my buddy with our 5ers are the only 2 non Class A's in our area of storage. Not sure how we landed that lottery card but I know those guys spit on our tires when we are not there LOL

I've been out there after a power outage and those things are all going crazy with reset alarms etc. That all said I "think" we got er all fixed up right now, but that is a valid point you brought up as we are in rolling blackouts right now.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #55
Full Time Camper

Keep us posted. You got me thinking about all this and I need to "put it to rest" when you figure it out!

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #56
Family Vacation Member

Fridge was at 39 this morning with the thermistor not all the way up.

Took to the top and will check again at noon and around 4 pm.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #57
Full Time Camper

While fighting the same problem I had one of those 4AM inspirations.

The thermistor is mounted on the cooling fins and calibrated for maintaining x degrees where ever it is. I know mine when the fridge is at 41-42 the fins are 36-37. If I were to remove the thermistor from the fins and lay it in the fridge the "brain" would try to get it down to 35-36. Not fin temperature but fridge temp????

Any thoughts????

The dealer is working on this with me trying to find a solution but Dometic is not being very helpful, just my feeling. Maybe they need to ship their engineer down here with a fridge and tell him to make it work. And until it does he doesn't get any A/C.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #58
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
While fighting the same problem I had one of those 4AM inspirations.

The thermistor is mounted on the cooling fins and calibrated for maintaining x degrees where ever it is. I know mine when the fridge is at 41-42 the fins are 36-37. If I were to remove the thermistor from the fins and lay it in the fridge the "brain" would try to get it down to 35-36. Not fin temperature but fridge temp????

Any thoughts????

The dealer is working on this with me trying to find a solution but Dometic is not being very helpful, just my feeling. Maybe they need to ship their engineer down here with a fridge and tell him to make it work. And until it does he doesn't get any A/C.

I dont know if they work like that or not.You can try it and see if it works is all I would say you can do. Its worth a try.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #59
Full Time Camper

Clif, we had this happen on one of our trips by accident and it did not work in our fridge. The thermistor fell off the fin and onto the first shelf while we were traveling and when we setup we just turned the fridge back on and thought nothing of it like we usually do. After a couple of hours my wife opened the fridge and noticed it was not cooling like it normally did. After we found the thermistor and put it back up on the fin it was cooling back down after a couple of hours. You can gove it a try but ours would not work right without it being up on the fin.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #60
Full Time Camper

I e-mailed Dometic about sending someone down here to fix the problem since they can't seem to figure out our heat. Be interesting to see what they say... I really don't expect much but someone needs to realize they have a problem...
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote