Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Hey folks

Could use a little guidance here. The Dometic fridge that came with our new rig as a sliding stat control. The freezer works like a charm. The inside, best I can get it is 40 degrees. I have a fan on the inside and installed a 12v fan in the service area blowing up. 85CMF.

Ran it over a few days to test each setting, no matter where I slide the temp thingie the temp stays at or around 40 degrees.

Model is DM2852 (I think) There was three numbers in there"
DM2852RBX
01796221 (serial number)

I was thinking of ordering http://dinosaurelectronics.com/Dom_adj.htmbut not sure if it will work with my board.

Any thoughts? We are new to Dometic, or last 5er had 5 settings, it was pretty obvious how to make it colder.

RR

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It's not over filled is it ? Ours will have a hard time cooling if the top shelf is over full. Is the door closing all the way ? Sealing ?

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

; to fixya.com/support and they might give some insite.
whipandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
It's not over filled is it ? Ours will have a hard time cooling if the top shelf is over full. Is the door closing all the way ? Sealing ?
It is completely empty actually Doors are sealing. I should mention that it has been 105 almost everyday.

RR

Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipandee

; to fixya.com/support and they might give some insite.
Thank you.

Just so I understand, one of the experts says to lower the slide to warmer this makes the fridge cooler. I suppose it is "sharing" the cold from the freezer thus making it colder below if it is warmer above?

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Could be a bad temp Thermistor or main board. SmokemanGRP (Greg?) wrote a good explanation about May '06. If you unplug the sensor (P2 I believe) from the board (remove black cover) the fridge should go to max cold. If it does then you know it is not the cooling unit itself. Measure the resistance of the sensor when the probe end is in a glass of ice water. It should read 8 - 10k ohms (mine was about 9K). Room temp should read about 3-4K ohms. Unplug the heating wires J7 and J8. They should read 44ohms. If the fridge is under warranty, take it to a dealer.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The slide on ours needs to slide upwards to cool more not lowered. Also make sure the end of the thermistor is sticking out the upper end of the slide by a 1/4" to 1/2" and the slide is firmly attached to the far right fin.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

A portion of a letter I composed to Crossroads, mid-July:
{seems there is too much space around the refrigerator as well as

insulation missing, in addition there needs to be a baffle installed, ie; There should be a maximum of one inch clearance between the evaporator coils and

the facing wall. If the clearance is more than this then your refrigerator will

benefit by the addition of baffles."

He also stated that the cooling fins at the top of the fridge should be

lowered by approx one foot. He did mention that as far as they could tell the

fridge was running as it should, just not cooling due to the installation

mis-cues. And, that dometic will not authorize a new cooling unit until the

other mentioned corrections are made. So as of the 15th, the RV has been in

the shop and our travel plans had to be put on hold until they (CW) can touch

bases...}

I was asked by mechanic if we had changed the cooling unit, and of course we had not, it looked as if the cooling unit had been replaced, this in a 2011 Rushmore. Bottom line, CW fixed the spacing and insulation issue and Dometic and Crossroads replaced the Fridge at no cost to us.Amtaking the unit in to Crossroads factory Tues 9 Aug for additional issues, am now satisfied that Crossroads will take care of its' customers!Once again a "Happy Camper"!

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

On the warm refrigerator. I am going to pick mine up today after the thermistor was replaced. Hopefully it will be cooler than it was.

I sent Dometic an e-mail and here's their reply;

"Clif,

With ambient temperature at 90 degrees or below, the fridge should be between 38-44F and the freezer 0-18F" Edited advertizing.

My response;

That won't work. The FDA recommends the absolute maximum temperature for a refrigerator to be 41 deg. Suggested temp is 36-38.

Our high temp here has been over 100 for over a month. Are you telling me I have a refrigerator that won't work under those circumstances? If so what good is it?

And they replied;

"Cliff

There are many modifications that can be made to our refridgerators to make them run to specs in extreme climates. You would need to contact a local service center to have them run diagnostics to see what would work best for your fridge. Dealers can be located via rv.com"

To their credit I sent the original e-mail late last night and have gotten both responses this AM. Good customer support.

Somehow I really don't like their answer. I'll know more after getting my unit back today.

More to come.

2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
On the warm refrigerator. I am going to pick mine up today after the thermistor was replaced. Hopefully it will be cooler than it was.

I sent Dometic an e-mail and here's their reply;

"Clif,

With ambient temperature at 90 degrees or below, the fridge should be between 38-44F and the freezer 0-18F" Edited advertizing.

My response;

That won't work. The FDA recommends the absolute maximum temperature for a refrigerator to be 41 deg. Suggested temp is 36-38.

Our high temp here has been over 100 for over a month. Are you telling me I have a refrigerator that won't work under those circumstances? If so what good is it?

And they replied;

"Cliff

There are many modifications that can be made to our refridgerators to make them run to specs in extreme climates. You would need to contact a local service center to have them run diagnostics to see what would work best for your fridge. Dealers can be located via rv.com"

To their credit I sent the original e-mail late last night and have gotten both responses this AM. Good customer support.

Somehow I really don't like their answer. I'll know more after getting my unit back today.

More to come.

I have to agree with you on the food thing. After another nights test at storage, my fridge was still at 40 degrees. So I pulled the stat and placed on the far right hand side and moved the probe to where it is sticking above 1/4 inch. Will check it again on Tuesday.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I did the mod posted recently to add a variable control to the control panel on the top of the fridge. Not because the fridge wasn't cooling but because I wanted more control over the inside temp. During testing, I was able to cool the food compartment to 28dgs which is much colder than desired but at least now I have full control over the temp. I am not fond of the slide adjustment inside the fridge - basically worthless for adjustment.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
I did the mod posted recently to add a variable control to the control panel on the top of the fridge. Not because the fridge wasn't cooling but because I wanted more control over the inside temp. During testing, I was able to cool the food compartment to 28dgs which is much colder than desired but at least now I have full control over the temp. I am not fond of the slide adjustment inside the fridge - basically worthless for adjustment.
Do you have a link to that mod?

EDIT, disregard, I found it.

Edited by: rollingrock
Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Do a search for "refrigerator coil fan". There is a link in that posting. If your fridge is in the slide, it is easy to do. If not, it is still fairly easy, just a bit more difficult to get the new wires down the back.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Do a search for "refrigerator coil fan". There is a link in that posting. If your fridge is in the slide, it is easy to do. If not, it is still fairly easy, just a bit more difficult to get the new wires down the back.
Mine isn't on the slide but I think I could do it...wouldn't this do the same thing?

http://dinosaurelectronics.com/Dom_adj.htm
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Basically the mod does the same thing except it is MUCH cheaper and adjustment is inside the rig instead of behind the fridge on the outside.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Basically the mod does the same thing except it is MUCH cheaper and adjustment is inside the rig instead of behind the fridge on the outside.

I hear ya, but this camper cannot use a solder gun.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

You dont have to solder the connections, you can just twist them together. I used a solder gun because it is a much better contact, thats all. But twisting the wires together will work fine.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561
You dont have to solder the connections, you can just twist them together. I used a solder gun because it is a much better contact, thats all. But twisting the wires together will work fine.
Ok, gonna stop by the shack and pick up the parts. Dumb question but while looking the board box (black cover) how do I know which wire is the thermistor?

RR

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Just look at the wire type coming off the thermistor inside your fridge. Then look for that same wire coming out of the box. It is the only type of wire that will look like the wire inside the fridge. Mine was a white wrapped wire that had two wires inside of it that you can see until you cut the wire.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561
Just look at the wire type coming off the thermistor inside your fridge. Then look for that same wire coming out of the box. It is the only type of wire that will look like the wire inside the fridge. Mine was a white wrapped wire that had two wires inside of it that you can see until you cut the wire.
Thanks, a little common sense never hurt. I just got the parts in hand.

So you think this will still be pretty easy to fish the wires since this isn't on a slide?

I only have the one access panel at the bottom of the unit in the back (outside)

I did install a nice little switch on the cover for the 12v fan...works pretty darn good.