Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Front cap replacement

We have a 2007 29RL Sunset Trail trailer which we enjoy a great deal. Last sprint it sat outside during a thunder storm and leaked quite a bit of rain in an incompletely caulked running light. The water caused some delamination on the front cap, its water tight but looks ugly. My question is can a fellow with average mechanical ability remove the old cap and replace it with a new one? Also, would I be able to get one from CR?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Wing
I think that is something you are going to have to discuss with CR. I would think that the front cap has to weigh at least a couple hundred pounds. Seems to me that would be quit an undertaking, hope you have plenty of help.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Yes you can, I've helped replace a front cap. It's LOTS of screws, new trim and caulking. Myself and a friend replaced his cap and put it back together better than new. Only hard part was removing all the old caulk until we used an eraser wheel. We used the bed of his truck as our ladder.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Your trailer does not have a molded front cap, if it did, then it would be 100% fiberglas and not susceptible to delamination. Instead, your front cap is more likely built in place, meaning the studs and 1/8 inch thick luan plywood skin is installed first, followed by a very thin skin of fiberglas sheeting is glued over the luan.

You should be able to buy the supplies locally to make a new front cap. Remove all the trim and caulk, then pry off the fiberglas skin (the luan plywood will probably delaminate). Hopefully the luan is just stapled to the studs and not glued to the studs, otherwise you will have to be careful not to damage the studs. Buy new luan plywood at HD or Lowes. You should be able to buy Filon fiberglas sheeting by the foot from a local plastic supply house. Use clear or white tinted fiberglas resin, slow cure, to attach the fiberglas to the luan. Start at the bottom and wrap the fiberglas sheet up, working bubbles, etc out. You will probably also need several temporary boards to clamp the sheeting in place, screw them in at the edge (hidden by the trim). Predrill holes in the fiberglas to prevent cracking.

I have also seen caps done where the luan is pre glued to the sheeting where there is no curvature and there is no luan backer behind the curved portion of the cap.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Sking, what is an eraser wheel? Would it also work to remove old, cracked caulk from around the windows so you could re-caulk on a clean surface?
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Dale, you use it in a drill keep it on low speed, We use it to take off graphics and signs on cars and trucks. They run around 11.00. can be purchase at an automotive paint supply house. I have used a chemical called Goof off (Lowes) seems to do a good job on the caulking I need to remove. I have not tried the wheel on caulking but just might when we go out this week end or next
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Yes the eraser wheel hooks up to a drill, remove the caulk you can by hand and the wheel will do the rest. I use a 3m eraser wheel to remove all kinds of stuff from painted surfaces without any damage.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Thanks guys for the info. I will look for one and give it a try.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks Dayle1 for your most helpful reply, appreciate very much.