Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello Forum,

The wife and I are returning to RVing after a two year hiatus. We have ordered a Cruiser 30SK and are in the process of getting the truck ready to tow again. We formerly had a 2005Cruiser 28CK which we pulled with aReese slider. I seldom needed the slider, which only allows an 80 degree turn. Theconstruction brochure for Cruisers indicates the front end of the newfifth wheelswill allow an 84 degree turn. I am considering just going with the non-slider hitch. Has anyone any experience with the new configuration? Any comment, pro or con will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rex Taylor

2010 Cruiser 30SK (On Order)

2000 Silverado 2500 with 6.0 engine and 4.10 transmission.
rtaylor36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

The new design has no doubt helped in turning radius for short bec trucks. I use a B&W compainion hitch and have it set on the furthest rear setting�it has no slider. I haven't had any trouble with clearance. I do watch it closely when I’m turning hard and the camper and truck on on different planes.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
Welcome to the forum Rex.

I have never towed a fifth wheel, butI'll give you an opinion anyway. If it were me, I'd go with the slider. If you never need it great, but if you don't have it and need it once, you'll wish you did.

I apply this logic quite a bit as long as finances at the time permit the more expensive option.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the forum, I have the same truck and I chose to purchase the slider. I've never needed to use the slider but I'm glad it's there. Kinda like the 4 wheel drive button, never needed it but glad it's there. You can take all these opinions and hopefully they will help with your decision. Good Luck!!!
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Hi Rex:
Welcome to the forum.
You stated in your post "you seldom needed your previous slider". You will probably be happier having one now--------if you ever get into a situation where you will need it and don't have it.
Mine is a manual. I have to get out and pull pins, but I do it every time I think I'm in that situation.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We have an '06 CF30SK and twice we didn't use the slider when we should have. It may be that you'll not need to ever use the slider but there is going to be an occasion when you will. If you have a slider then use it even if it seems redundant to you.When you and the DW have toboogey down the road to the auto glass place, with the wind, noise and the oddbit of flying glass, you'll wish that you used yourslider.

As a bonus, I found that using the sliderhelps with backing unto a parking slot.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

if you really like a turning radius try a sidewinder. you can go pass 90 degrees. check it out on reese towing, scroll down, it's on the right side. the pivot point is at the base of the pin box not on the hitch.

wattashine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
New Camper

Thanks everyone for your input. We have decided to go with the Reese Pro Series Hitch and a 5th Airborne Sidewinder Pin Box. As to a new subject: Has anyone experience using a CPAP machine while boondocking? Again all input will be greatly appreciated.

Rex Taylor

2010 Cruiser 30SK (On Order)

2000 Silverado 2500 with 6.0 engine and 4.10 transmission.
rtaylor36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor36
As to a new subject: Has anyone experience using a CPAP machine while boondocking? Again all input will be greatly appreciated.

Rex Taylor

If you need your CPAP and you're boondocking, you'll definitely need a generator to provide power for the CPAP. If you're at a regular campsite with electricity, it shouldn't be an issue.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Rex, first it is nice to have another Texan on the forum! I think you will really like the Sidewinder pin box.We really don't need it with my LWB truck but it makes backing and turning a breeze. You can hookup at any angle and when not in use you can turn the hitch sideways.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote