Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I would like to have help. The other day we were hooking up, but the jacks would not move, it sounded like the gears were not working, so the fellow next door had 2 hand jacks so we got the truck on OK we drove directly to our dealer and he spent an hour and found nothing wrong with the switch or gears. Could not understand what happened. so back we came to our park and the same fellow has the idea that when we are dropping the legs if the ground is not level we should just keeping added more boards to the short leg, where as I usually pull the pin down to the next hole to be equal to the other side. So I am wondering which is the right way of doing this. Yesterday i went and bought 2 -8pounds jacks so we will be ready next time, as I am not very confident that there is still nothing wrong with the switch or motor. When you feel inside to the motor it is really loose feeling but the dealer said that is normal as you drive down the road it need to move. Any input will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Norval
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

To make sure I get the front end level side to side I cut 4 pieces of 1/4 plywood into squares a little bigger than the front feet. When I'm ready to unhook I put a couple of blocks on the ground then pull the pins to see how close they are to hitting the blocks. Usually there is one side that isjust a little higher than the other. This is where I place 1/4 plywood. It does a real nice job of making sure the front feet contact a hard surface at the same time.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I don't think that the motor should move.

Last year, one of the motor mounting bolts broke, the motor could move and finally did not operate the legs. A mechanic at the campground did a temporaryh fix until my dealer could repair the problem.

Since my camper is at a storage facility, I cannot check it....anyone out there have a comment to this?

What does the motor moving as you travel down the road have to do with anything?

Walt
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-leveler/17329

This will eliminate the need for wood block and help prevent binding from not being level.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I've been using the leg level for several years and never had a problem since . That and the snap pins are the two best things I have bought.But I don't know that that was the orginal problem with the post.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I agree with FBI
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

the leg level will not work with the eliminator stabilizer, I had one on my unit and it had to be removed when they installed the stabilizer

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio
the leg level will not work with the eliminator stabilizer, I had one on my unit and it had to be removed when they installed the stabilizer

Not so with the PlugItRight version. I mounted my stabilizerone hole above the leg leveler pin. No Problems! Perhaps, that's all you need to do with yours.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

There is no need to count holes when dropping the legs. As long as you are level side to side at the axles, the legs can be dropped to different lengths to compensate for unlevel ground at the legs. That's what the leg leveler does, fine tunes that each leg is going to make contact with the ground at the same time. If you try to keep the legs the same length and the ground is not level you will twist your frame and this could bind the jack mechanism.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbinohio

Sorry to disagree, but if you look at my Eliminator installation thread, I think I specifically mentioned that the installation called for drilling through the bottom hole of the legs to mount the Eliminator. I drilled and mounted one hole up specifically so that I would not lose the use of my adjustable foot pad (leg leveler). My thought was, what difference is 1" gonna make? None IMHO.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Well today is our D day for moving, just hope the legs move and yes will stop at Camping world and see the levelers. Thank you for all the input to our problem
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Today the legs would not move again, so glad we bought those big jacks, in my postI said 2- 8pounds but no they are 2 -8 ton jacks. It seems that when the trailer weight is on the legs the motor just clicks away. Got the truck on OK, arrived at the next park and have not taken the truck off, and yes the motor will move the legs up and down, just not when there is preasure there. Phoned the dealer and he said bring it back in and we will look at it again. ( at 90.00 dollars I think not) We are a long way from home by now. Have to get another dealer somewhere in Oregon. Thank again for info

Norval
Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Sorry that it's not a simple situation.

I found this little jewel of information at the Lippert website.

http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0039.pdf Manual override? Isn't the bar connecting the opposite side connected to the shaft?

Maybe they can answer your questions at this number. DRIVE SHAFT REPAIR KITS ARE AVAILABLE FROM: LCI SERVICE & WARRANTY - (866) 524-7821

At least it answers the questionif it's safe to maintenance the axles and change tires while resting on the landing gears.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

thank you for this, yes it is good info and will try and call the number here and see what happens.

Norval