Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I saw on the news this morning that the "analysts" (crooks and speculators?) are predicting that gasoline will hit $4.00 per gal this year (which pushes diesel to $4.50 or so) with a possible $5.00 per gal by the end of 2012.

I think that if this happens, that the RV industry will get hammered again and people won't be doing much long distance RV'ing. I just ran the nbrs and it would be over 500.00 in fuel costs alone for us to go to the KOA campgrounds in the Outer Banks and back. That assumes that diesel doesn't get any higher than $4.50 per gallon. Right now it is close to, if not at $3.50 per gal here in Ohio.

What do you all think? Will you scale back your plans?

I know that my fall trip to Nebraska is now out based on current fuel prices.

dc

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Correct or not, I anticipated gasoline fuel costs would hit $4.00/gallon in either 2011 or 2012. My solution is a season lease site, which I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I'm considering selling the truck but am willing to wait to see what happens.

If I was on the road with the trailer fuel costs would not stop me from traveling. I might have to cut a smaller trip to pay for the increase fuel cost, but I would still travel. Just too much fun

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Site Team

I guess if the trip was important enough to me, I would go. Back in 2008 we went out to WA. to see my son and his family. Total mi. --- 3200. We paid over $5.00 a gal. for diesel in WA. Didn't like it but it only took one tank to get back into ID. and the price was cheaper there. I don't remember what it cost us for fuel that trip, but it was considerable.
We are talking of a trip to Tenn. and then down into FL. this spring. I don't think the fuel cost will stop us here either.
I can certainly understand a young family with a tight budget having a problem doing a long trip with $5 fuel.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

In 2008 we traveled from San Diego to the North West states and fuel prices were in the five dollar range. It was our first trip with the 5er and we enjoyed every mile. Yes I noticed the 100 plus credit charges at the pump but we visited some places we have never been. My DW was in accounting and she kept records of the trip and with fuel cost and campgrounds in was not that much then if we had to spend the time in low cost hotels.

The next year it was off to the Kennedy Space Center and the roadways through the south. The trip was twice as long but cost near the same as fuel prices were about half.

Next year it is Washington DC it will be another long trip and I fear the fuel prices will be higher but it is a place we want to visit and all the points on the way.
Yes I agree it the cost goes over 5 bucks a gallon in will hurt those we are the line of making it or not and the industry will either live or die.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Gas prices hurts everyone. If the Amercia people would just tough it out and drive less when possiable prices would come down. It is a proven fact the less we consume, the oil companies drop prices. I wonder what is the magic number, before the American people say enough is enough.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Just heard on the news this morning that if EVERY driver would give up 30-45 minutes of driving per week, then gas prices would come down. I don't know about y'all but I really don't have that kind of extra driving to cut out. Not like the old days when we took the proverbial "Sunday drive".

Now, if public transportation were up to the task then I'd be happy to take it. Unfortunately that concept hasn't reached the burbs where I live.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePutt
Gas prices hurts everyone. If the Amercia people would just tough it out and drive less when possiable prices would come down. It is a proven fact the less we consume, the oil companies drop prices. I wonder what is the magic number, before the American people say enough is enough.

There will be no significant lowering of fuel prices until we have a major shift in government policy. Right now, the goal is to achieve energy independance by getting America off the oil standard, so the government is not really opposed to high fuel prices. Just look at the drilling bans, etc. Given the large percentage of imported oil, fuel prices are tied to the dollar's exchange rate more than American consumption. Two days before Xmas, the EPA announced it was taking over control of polution permits for the state of Texas. Biggest target, oil refineries in the state, Obama's Cap and Tax by another means.

BTW, fuel prices drop only when the entire world's demand for oil drops below the world's production rate. A small drop in US demand means nothing by itself, just means a change in destination for the super tankers.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

There will be no drop in oil prices in this or any other country until significant changes are made in our driving habits. Until alternative, non-fossil fuel vehicles come into mass acceptance it will be business as usual. Certain political parties in this country are in the pocket of big oil. Remember, money talks, b.s. walks. When 1% of a country's population controls 98% of the wealth there is a problem.

When electric cars become practicable due to long range and rapid charge service stations we'll wean ourselves away from oil, maybe. Perhaps when China does not sell 14,000,000 new cars a year with the market growing by double digits, we'll get lower oil prices. Perhaps, when big oil stops controlling the majority of our government then we'll get a break. Until then look for $5.00+ gas/diesel prices coming to a service station near you.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I like this thread ... alot!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
I saw on the news this morning that the "analysts" (crooks and speculators?) are predicting that gasoline will hit $4.00 per gal this year (which pushes diesel to $4.50 or so) with a possible $5.00 per gal by the end of 2012.

I think that if this happens, that the RV industry will get hammered again and people won't be doing much long distance RV'ing. I just ran the nbrs and it would be over 500.00 in fuel costs alone for us to go to the KOA campgrounds in the Outer Banks and back. That assumes that diesel doesn't get any higher than $4.50 per gallon. Right now it is close to, if not at $3.50 per gal here in Ohio.

What do you all think? Will you scale back your plans?

I know that my fall trip to Nebraska is now out based on current fuel prices.

dc
Your first mistake was watching the news.....
But seriously it is bad,and the options are:
A.Stop Rving and sell the rig-NOT an option for me.
B.Stay longer in one place and cut on the gas-Good solution for me.
C.Go about it as nothing happened (if you have the $$$)-Can not ignore the extra coasts.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
New Camper

We are using 30% less fuel than last year and prices are 40 - 50 cents higher this year. Go figure.

swampeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

What cost can you put on good mental health? It's either sanity or money. I say we camp
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...azing-stat-ca/

Prices are bound to slowly keep rising over time. Just be happy we don't have to pay the same as Europeans!

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Gas prices up, housing prices down, bank failures at the highest since the banking scandal of 1991, sounds like 2008 all over again. If that is to be the case do you think the RV industry could recover yet again?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We are going west in May. We adjusted the budget to reflect higher fuel cost. What happens is:

1. We watch where we dine and how often.

2. We will not buy "Tourist Stuff"

3. It may take a little longer to get to our location, etc

Somewhere someone is not going to get my money due to the price of fuel. But we are going to camp.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

When I was in High School, many years ago, we were told that price of the product was caused by the supply and demand. It seems that today,it doesn't work because the supplies of oil are fairly high and the demand has been relatively poor because of the economy. So what is the problem? Speculation! Speculators have been pushing up the price of Crude and nothing else. If it continues, we'll be looking at auto makers shutting down and RV makers going out of business, just like happened a few years back.

When people areblinded by greed,itseems thatthey never learn from their mistakes.

Now that I've got off my soapbox, we are committed to towing our 5vr as far as we can. If it means that all we do is buy food, fuel and parking, that's what we'll do. We have digital cameras to record our trips and Skype to keep in touch with family.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Hamops is correct, I have a friend that invests as a speculator.

The prices will not change my plans to travel Maine to NM. As a family of four if I skip a dine-out I save $35-55 per visit. It doesn't take more then a few skipped dine-outs to make up the $$ for higher gas prices.

I understand this is a higher cost hobby but my entire family and I enjoy it!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Can't wait untill fall to see this new forester.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
cwit, can't wait to see you guys again. I really wish you'd come visit our partial-seasonal site in Maine on the lake. I think you and the wife would have a good time!!!!

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Well the wife and I are doing our part...we bought a Prius this past fall...it has helped offset the diesel mpg...especially when towing. Took a 2700 mile trip to florida and back, spent $160.00 in fuel and averaged 49-mpg. The hotel costs were comped by the wifes work due to a seminar....
Since upgrading to the 2011 Superduty, I have seen an average of 3+ mpg while towing and that really adds up when we make our annual 1500 mile trip to Minnesota and back... Like others, you just have to budget for the bigger trips and stay a bit closer to home more often.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote