Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Garmin GPS questions

I can only imagine we have a few Garmin GPS users on this site, so where else could a person get a more honest answer than from here. First I have never used or owned a GPS, so after a day of reading reviews I decided and ordered a Garmin DriveSmart 60 LMT GPS, a friction base, and a Samsung EVO plus Micro SD 32GB that might be necessary for the updates. Everything should arrive March 20, maybe sooner. But here is my main question. Did I make a mistake by ordering a automotive Garmin rather than a RV dedicated type Garmin? I ask this question because a neighbor's kid uses a different Garmin dedicated for Semi tractors that then offers truck routes basically. So do any Garmin users just use automotive Garmin's pulling there trailers, and has anyone been led down a dead end they had to back up for 5 miles cause they couldn't turn around. Not that that would be a problem other than a pain in the a$$,lol. this is the garmin I ordered link. I been watching UTube vids trying to educate myself somewhat before it gets here, rather than just be all thumbs. So I'm open to opinions, and Thank You in advance. https://www.staples.ca/en/abc/produc...8_1-CA_1_20001
Old 03-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, I think there are a few Garmin owners on the forum. Myself being one of them. I bought the 2460LMT some years back. So far I'm satisfied. One of the main reasons I got this one was the free life time maps. The other being it talks to me and I can talk back. So it's pretty much hands free operation. We don't use it all that much, but when planning a longer trip into new territories I down load what ever they have for map updates. It hasn't led me astray yet.
The life time updates for traffic I don't give a hoot about and have never used or updated it. I always figured the same conditions more then likely wouldn't be there by the time I got there anyway.
I think a lot of people now days probably use their I-phone as a GPS.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have contemplated buying a GPS specific for RVs. The reason would be for narrow roads, over passes and non-RV friendly routes. But don't worry so much about what you have bought. It will get you where you want. Just don't completely rely on it. Do your research and trip planning along with using the GPS.
But we use google maps on our tablet for GPS. It is mounted in the cab of the truck. Google maps is not necessarily the best, but we have not had much of an issue. We do our research prior to going into areas we have not been before. And a great place to get road info and travel routes is RIGHT HERE in these forums.

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Aceallenk
I bought a Rand McNally GPS through Good Sam...It has a feature that lets me switch between CAR mode or RV mode...That way I have the best of both worlds...It also has FREE life time updates...

I used my wife's Garmin GPS before I bought the Rand...It did not have the RV mode and as it happens it tried to direct me over a weight restricted bridge, and also sent me down a dirt road...I was lucky it did not direct me to a low tunnel...

I don't have a problem backing up my rig at all, but the Rand GPS is worth every penny if it will save me the aggravation, and lost time, of backing up even one city block on a two lane road after encountering a tunnel I can't drive through...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have been a longtime Garmin user. I purchased the RV 760LM an trust it. Easy to use and allows me to switch between RV and auto. Larger screen provided excellent viewing especially for lane control turns at interchanges. Around $370 online.
geomahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I am completely loyal to garmin. I first started with their initial marine gps units in 1991. I have had many different garmin marine units over the years and they have never let me down and have kept me off the rocks. Presently the helm on my 35 ft cruiser is populated with many garmin only electronics, including a 12" chartplotter with 6kw open array radar. I always have said "if you have to make a choice between a garmin gps or your gut, go with the garmin every time. As for the hi ways, I have been using a garmin nuvi with map updates for at least 6 years in my F-350 tow vehicle. As part of my trip planning, I enter all of my waypoints both by name and by coordinates before I leave home. That works for me and always has. I have never had a dedicated gps for rvs but really have never felt the need to buy one. Enjoy your new garmin in the knowledge that you have the best there is.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I purchased a Auto Garmin Nuvi back in 2009 while trying to navigate California when I went out to visit my daughter. I also purchased the lifetime updates for $75 extra. I’ve had to purchase a micro card for extra storage since then. I update it about twice a year but I think it does great. Like most I think you still have to use some common sense once in a while anyway. Sadly I depend on mine way to much now. Lol

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
But here is my main question. Did I make a mistake by ordering a automotive Garmin rather than a RV dedicated type Garmin? https://www.staples.ca/en/abc/produc...8_1-CA_1_20001

I was not knocking Garmin I was saying I prefer to use a GPS unit that has the RV feature as opposed to one that does not...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Depends on your rv really
a pickup and small, light trailer? most recently updated gps(es) will do,
a tall, long, heavy class A that's towing a toad or stacker trailer? YES !!! rv specific is best...

Those 5k limit bridges frown on 30-40,000 lbs

we have a garmin 760lmt in the coach AND in the jeep...
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share your expertise. Johnboy you make a good point Our tow vehicle is 'just a regular truck, 2010 Z71 extended cab. But the Sunset Trail Reserve is by spec 10.5 feet height, 29 feet long, and 8 wide, 5700 dry weight, but I round that off at 7000lb. Nothing like the huge 5érs that leave a contrail. So with those measurements that a person shouldn't run into to many tuchy snags with an automotive style Garmin. My friction base and chip showed up in the mail today, hoping the Garmin shows in another couple days. I think I watched every u-tube vid twice already so getting due for some hands-on. Kinda thinking I'd program it from home then make a multi stop trip around the city a few times, just to get the programing etc down to a science a few times. you know, sh*ts and giggles but not to far from home till the old memory stashes the procedure in the hard drive, lol..
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

You’ll probably have to update it when it arrives. Things change so much. Good luck and safe travels.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Both of my Chevrolet cars and my Silverado have factory navigation systems, but I also have a Garmin in each one. I have a DriveSmart 60LMT in both of the cars and an RV760 in my Silverado. I really like the features of the RV760. It has routed me away from roads that had weight limits that I exceeded. The Silverado's built in navigation system doesn't have that feature, nor do the DriveSmarts. I've never been led down a road that I had to turn around on by any of my GPS units.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote