Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Finally got my predator 4000 Genny and when I hooked 'er up to my 13.5k btu AC I was surprised to find it blew the fuse....welp, there goes that idea. Seems to work ok for anything 10k and under.

Just a word of warning to you all...

Now where did I go wrong with my math?
Z1 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

A couple thoughts,
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
-Elevation affects performance of the genny plus what it takes to start the AC unit.
-Outside temp also affects how hard or easy the AC wants to turn over. I found that on real hot days it was harder for the initial start up of the unit.

-How accurate is the rating of the genny, perhaps the mfg is stretching the truth a bit.
Each AC unit can be slightly different than another. I had an old unit with a well used AC unit that would start and run off a single honda 2000 genny. Now by new unit takes all the work 2 units can provide.

Good luck.

Stay cool, if you can.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset
A couple thoughts,
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
-Elevation affects performance of the genny plus what it takes to start the AC unit.
-Outside temp also affects how hard or easy the AC wants to turn over. I found that on real hot days it was harder for the initial start up of the unit.

-How accurate is the rating of the genny, perhaps the mfg is stretching the truth a bit.
Each AC unit can be slightly different than another. I had an old unit with a well used AC unit that would start and run off a single honda 2000 genny. Now by new unit takes all the work 2 units can provide.

Good luck.

Stay cool, if you can.

From everything I have been able to find out, you are 100% correct!
I was shocked that my 2000 honda wouldn't run our 13500 AC. So I changed out the start capacitor. That didn't make a lick of difference. I know for a fact that my old honda started a 15000 AC on our HH.
I'm in the market for another honda 2000, but it will have to be the companion.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Well, I believe I was incorrect in my statement. There are a few connectors on the genny and two of them are 110 @ 13 amp which of course will not hold the AC up and then there is the transfer connector which I need the adaptor for that will allow me to have 30 amps for the RV. Problem: I have no time to get one as the local CW is over two hours away and even overnighting one will be too late. Darn! I can't bring my genny with me! anyone have the pinouts for the adaptor and I'll buy the parts and build it myself...
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Can you have CW send it where you folks are going?
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Site Team

I think you better be careful and make sure what the connecter will do that you are talking about. That's a 220 volt plug!! Plus, if it does split it up right, how many amps will it have on each leg?

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Site Team

If you have one of these type plugs (4 prong). This is reasonable from Home Depot if you have one near you.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rodale-30-A...V30F/202510179

Sears wants a fortune for one of these type so don't go there. I use an actual single plug with no cable designed for the generator connection on one side and RV female on the other side that I plug the 30 amp RV plug into.

If you want to make an adapter you need an L14-30 male plug for the generator and a TT-30R female receptacle for your trailer. Preferably mated with minimum 10/3 but can use 8/3 wire.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I made several trips to the local places and no one has it except online and it will take days to get it so I'm going to have to deal with no A/C until I get to my Destination. I could build one but I don't want a ramshackle connector that could short out my whole vacation so I'll try one last place today then throw in the towel.

I'm sure if I can get that connector hooked up IT WILL keep the TT alive with power.

Lesson learned for next long trip.

Well, we leave in two days with 4 teenage girls, 1 adult daughter, a Wife and myself. Oh what a trip that will be!

See you in sunny Florida!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I always have the feeling I'm gambling when buying stuff from Harbor Freight. Sometimes it's OK...

I did see a review for your genny on their site with a person having the same RV A/C unit problems you are experiencing. Perhaps HF is not quite accurate on their specs?
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the 110 sockets are only 13 amp and the 30 amp connector requires the adaptor which I am picking up tonight so I'll plug it in and let it run and report back on how it works.

I will say though that the Predator Generator I have seems to run much quieter than the larger 5500 I have and only gets loud when it's under load during start up of any high wattage equipment. Once it settles down you can talk while standing next to it and hear yourself.