Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
New Camper

GFCI help

What would cause a GFCI outlet to start getting tripped with no changes in added appliances. Came home the other nite and the bedroom outlets weren’t working. After an hour and a half I discovered one of the GFCI outlets had been trippped. All good, right? No! Came back to the trailer twice to find it had been tripped again and then while watching TV it tripped again and now won’t reset. What do I do from here? Anyone have any suggestions?

Kelly
Kjflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Pull the plug & check the wires. Mine did the same, after hours of troubleshooting took the plug apart & found the "load" side wire wasn't seated good & had arced completely loose.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Kelly
You can also purchase a test plug at any hardware store, which could help you test the whole circuit...The tester I am talking about is yellow ,can be plugged right into any three prong receptacle, and has three lights that will indicate several malfunctions in your receptacle...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The GFI could have gone bad. It happened in my unit in year two. After I replaced it the problem went away until Janet would do the hair dryer and toaster
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Look for any electric boxes under the outside of the Rv and check for water intrusion. Rebug and retape wires and seal the box up good if you find any water in it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Look for any electric boxes under the outside of the Rv and check for water intrusion. Rebug and retape wires and seal the box up good if you find any water in it.
This is almost always the case with Crossroads units.

They are not liquid tight as per code in most places.

Find it under or near a slide and were tire road sprays.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Replace the GFCI outlet. As a builder, we see them go bad, fairly often. About $15 will get you a new one.

I also had this issue. The GFCI above the sink was tripping. I bought a new plug. When I pulled the old one out, I noticed the ground wire was crammed in there and was really close to the black side. I straightened out the wires and re-installed it. Haven't had a problem since.
There's not much room in those boxes. Maybe you have a similar situation. You could say, "Wouldn't I have noticed it before or wouldn't have been a problem for years before?"
Maybe not. I bought my camper when it was 6 years old. They may have been having the problem for the first 6 years and just kept resetting the plug.