Old 05-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

GFCI popping x 2

I've got gremlins!

5'er was used with 50 amp hookups for about a month, then hooked it up to an exterior 110 20 amp outside of a house. Traveled home using 50 amp service. So far so good: no problems.

Got home and plugged into the back door 110 GFCI that I have used before and it immediately popped. Muttering words to conjure with, I plugged it into the front door 110 GFCI which worked fine for several days with a small gauge extension cord. Then I unhooked the cord and pulled up enough to plug the 50 amp cord (using adapters) directly into the GFCI without the light weight extension cord. Now it repeatedly pops like the backdoor GFCI.

Granted I live in an old farmhouse with some creative wiring but its all been inspected and tested. Besides the rear door receptacle used to work and the front one did work for a few days until I unplugged it

Any thoughts? My only thought is we"ve had a lot of rain lately that might somehow be causing a power trickle to trip the GFCI somewhere somehow
Old 05-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Look for a electrical box outside under the slide. It's know for getting full of water and shorting out. Dry out and do a good job of resealing it.

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Crossroad Rally" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Look for a electrical box outside under the slide. It's know for getting full of water and shorting out. Dry out and do a good job of resealing it.
Had the same happen to mine before and this was the problem with the box full of water. Good luck.
*Ted & Tricia (Mimi and Boo - Poodles)
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Wow! That makes really good sense as I found that my slide 110 outlets had gone dead when I started the trip although it was 12 degrees and bone dry when I left home. Never thought of a possible connection.

The one problem is that I had a seemingly very good mobile rv mechanic look at the receptacles, presumably looking for that exact problem. He traced the wiring under the slide and said the box was somewhere up in the plastic bottom cover. He didn't want to take the whole rear end down since he didn't know exactly where it was located. I decided it was easier just to do without the receptacles and dropped the matter.

If its up in the sealed area I don't see how it could be wet. I'll look again myself but its pouring again at the moment. Could be a loose wire short I suppose?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Well, I did get out during a tiny dry spell and found a crimped connection up under the slide floor that looks poorly. When the monsoons end I'll try removing it and soldering the wires together to see what that does.

I also ran my extension cord from an interior (non CGFI) receptacle so now at least I can keep the battery charged since my battery shutoff has apparently broken and won't go to "off" and I'd just as soon not disconnect the batteries.

Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180528_100802.jpg (117.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

that wire is yellow so it is not 110 v . Will have nothing to do with gfci. Could be one of the turn signal wires...?

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
that wire is yellow so it is not 110 v . Will have nothing to do with gfci. Could be one of the turn signal wires...?
I would agree!
If you look closely I bet you'll find a box full of those type connectors for most of your running lights.
Also most of your interior lights will be loosely connected with wire nuts.

Danny & Linda
Fulltimers since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali DRW
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
Site Team

I've had my outside receptacles on the garage (GFI) pop at times when the weather has been, or is wet. Also have seen them popped when I have went to plug something in. Never thought to much about it, just figured the box was allowing moisture in some how.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I wondered about the yellow wire but had read that the wiring on these things was kind of arbitrary. There is a yellow and a white wire whose insulation diameter is about 1/8," a size I associate with 12 gauge, possibly 14. They appear to be in flexible round black rubber insulation like an extension cord and leave the front outside floor corner, run along the outside floor/wall intersection and at the rear of the slide, go along the rear sidewall of the slide and then through a hole in the frame (with the flexible support that bends to take up the wire slack when the slide closes.

Since the wire looks too heavy for 12v lights and there aren't any on the slide to begin with, I don't think they are running light cables. It doesn't make sense that the slide motors would be hooked up that way either. However, the crimp connections do suggest 12 volt rather than 110. Then again it is a rather industrial crimp.

Maybe the dinette light? And if it is 12v I'm still stumped as to how to check/correct either the receptacles being out or the CGFI popping. I'm guessing fixing one will fix the other but I really, really don't want to remove the whole rear undersheet.

When you say this is a common, known problem, does it occur to electrical boxes up between the frame beams or just when the box is exposed to road spray?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I've had my outside receptacles on the garage (GFI) pop at times when the weather has been, or is wet. Also have seen them popped when I have went to plug something in. Never thought to much about it, just figured the box was allowing moisture in some how.
Agreed. I was required to put them in a barn I built but they would not let me use any of my power tools except one with a ancient motor with winding wire the size of pencil lead. My electrician said he argued against them with the inspector and lost. Once it was inspected, he came out and replaced all of them with regular grounded plugs and all was good as long as I owned the place. I think that to provide the speed of protection in their specs, they are made hair triggered so that under certain conditions they are too efficient.