Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Good sam rv towing rant

I purchased the good sam towing that is supposed to cover towing for your vehicle and trailer if you break down. I have an older trailer and truck, so I thought it would be a good idea. Well, we headed out yesterday for our favorite campground. About 1/2 way there, the back strap on my fuel tank gave out and the tank got ripped open. We made it off the highway and to a parking lot. We ended up with about 5 firetrucks there to clean up the fuel spill.

I called the good sam roadside service and the sent out a tow truck for my truck. The person on the phone told me to call back after the truck had been picked up to set up the trailer towing. When I called back, they told me they wouldn't tow the trailer because it was not disabled and it was in a safe place. The property owner said I could leave it overnight, but then would need to move it. I was able to find someone to haul it back to my house for $100.

What is the use of the insurance if they won't tow the trailer. The flyer says if you break down they will tow your truck and trailer back home. Instead, it seems that they're very willing to just leave you stranded.

Since I have towing on my auto insurance, I am going to cancel the good sam NOT roadside assistance policy.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yep, “you always get screwed at the drive through.” They make promises to get your money but when you need them, they don’t care.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I've never heard of any tow service that promised to take a vehicle "home". They do and have taken the vehicle for repairs and, when my truck had an issue, they also towed my trailer with the truck. Just leaving the trailer there, safe or not, seems odd. What did Good Sam (not the contractor) have to say about what they should have done? That's kind of crazy.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

They said they should have towed the trailer and to submit a claim. I did, so we will see what happens.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
TDG
Seasonal Camper

I had there roadside insurance on my motorhome got stuck in a campground I was told they wouldn't tow it ou unless it was on a public street.
Thank God for AAA rv
No more good for nothing sam

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We have our RV insurance through Nationwide and towing also.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We were coming up on renewal and I had a blowout, instead of changing the tire myself, I thought that I would try the "Premium" Good Sam Roadside service that I had paid for. It would have ended up being a 4.5 hour wait before we would have had service (I ended up changing the tire myself and this was only 8 miles outside of a fairly big city here in Tennessee). That incident was a clear message to me to NOT renew. I have made it one of my missions in life to tell everyone that I know to never go with Good Sam Roadside for their peace of mind. I am now with AAA and have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Team

We had never had a roadside assistance policy.
A couple years ago we had a trip to the west coast planned So I thought about getting a policy.
Checked with AAA and found out there coverage in the area we would be traveling was very limited at best. So as much as I hated to I went with Good Sam. We made the trip with out any issues so I never renewed the plan. All I had to do for the next couple years was send all the spam back to them and tell them to take me off their mailing list and to stop calling. I think I have finally got all the crap stopped.

It seems like they have a non stop spam machine that just continues to crank out new mailings .
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

GoodSam sounds a bit like my antivirus which by the way I am quite pleased with it, but not a fan of auto-renew, I remove my payment method right after purchase, always. So 3 months ago they sent an email twice to renew early for $34, I didn't, but I kept the email, now last week my year was done, got another email that day was last day and renewal was $96. So I sent them back there email of there $34 dollar offer from previous and they accepted the payment and my service was extended another year. Good Sam sounds a lot like charge as much as you can but return as little as possible, like most insurance, and most warranty too, when you need it, it expired the day before.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

My wife and I were on a camping trip with my sister and brother-in-law a few weeks back when my sister's travel trailer had a problem with a wheel bearing. They were able to get their rig off the interstate and into a parking lot. Good Sam roadside assistance was called and a technician was dispatched. The problem was fixed onsite but not without issues. That is a whole other topic not for this post.

This experience prompted me to go back and check the fine print of our Good Sam policy. I too thought a trailer would be towed if the tow vehicle experienced a breakdown. Upon reading the policy I guess that is not the case. Only the disabled "vehicle" will be towed. Vehicle can be either the tow vehicle or the RV. This is stated on page 1 of the policy.

I've included a photo of the policy were it specifies the 24 hour towing service and there is a section about having the vehicle towed to your home. There is an extra cost involved if the mileage is more then the nearest repair facility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1109.jpg (295.4 KB, 10 views)
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Site Team

As daddy would say read before you sign.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
C_D
New Camper

I guess I must be the exception .I've used good sam several times and always my trailer was towed with my truck.
Cal
C_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Got a check

I submitted a claim with good Sam's for what I paid to get my trailer towed home, and today I received a check.

It would have been better if they had towed it to start with, but at least they reimbursed me.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Good Bye to Camping World

We are long time members of Camping World and we broke down only 20 miles from Camping World. AAA sent a tow company to tow us to Camping World. Camping World told us not to show up at their facility because there was no room for us on their lot and it would take months before they could get to our RV. Thankfully the tow company had a secure lot and a repair facility within 5 miles.
A few weeks later we had 4 new springs, 2 Equa-flex, several shackle parts plus installation = $1001.00.
GOOD BYE to Camping World.