Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Team

I know this topic has been here before so this is another heads up.
I figured I was probably safe from this but found out different. Something was telling me I better check my wheel bearings and seals. Pulled one this morning---grease on the drum and the magnets. Buuuumer Pulled the second one, same thing. Tried to find the part # that was a lost cause, so went to Napa with my bearings and grease seal in hand and he went back in the parts room and came out with 4 brand new grease seals. Bearings were good.
There wasn't much grease that came out, but a little goes a long ways in that compartment.
So----don't be complacent guys.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Thanks for letting us know. No matter how many times a subject is visited there is always some new twist. As well as the reminder to those of us (read that me) that tend to forget the need.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

good advice, your wheel bearings-seals-brakes, should be checked often.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Team

My 5er is only a year old and we probably pulled about 6000 mi. last year. So it really surprised me when I seen that grease in there. I never put any grease in thru the bearing buddies either. The fella in Napa said they have sold more bearings since the buddies came out.
Only did the one side today. Do the other side Sat. Tomorrow we are going down to our dealers, they are having open house.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Lloyd, I am doing my wheel bearings this weekend, what are the Napa part numbers on those seals? I want to make sure I have the right ones in hand before I have everything apart....

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Napa Part# SL213 for grease seal. I believe I have the 5200# axle.
Anybody doing bearings, you will have to pound the races out to get the # when you get bearings. there can be quite a few different races for the same bearing.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks. Somewhere I have the bearing and seal #'s written down. Of course I put the paper someplace where I was sure I wouldn't loose it...

I am thinking that I should run the tires over to the local shop and have them balanced and the valve stems replaced while they are off. I think I am on borrowed time on those cheap rubber stems....

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the information regarding the races. If you order bearings directly from Lippert, they do not come with races.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Hmmm....Had the mechanic check for grease when I had the camper inspected.

He told me I put too much grease in bearing and had to clean the grease off brake shoes and magnet.

My reply, which took him aback.."I don't put grease in bearing. I have you check them each April, when I renew my safety inspection sticker".

Now, I am wondering about the seals.

Will take this up with them.

Walt
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I figured I was probably safe from this but found out different. Something was telling me I better check my wheel bearings and seals. Pulled one this morning---grease on the drum and the magnets. Buuuumer Pulled the second one, same thing. Tried to find the part # that was a lost cause, so went to Napa with my bearings and grease seal in hand and he went back in the parts room and came out with 4 brand new grease seals. Bearings were good.
There wasn't much grease that came out, but a little goes a long ways in that compartment.

Are you discussing Dexter's E-Z Lube bearing system in this thread?
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

Are you discussing Dexter's E-Z Lube bearing system in this thread?
Lippert axles and bearing setup. I don't know who's lube system they put on the end of that axle. I would think they are pretty much all the same working princple.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee
Hmmm....Had the mechanic check for grease when I had the camper inspected.

He told me I put too much grease in bearing and had to clean the grease off brake shoes and magnet.

My reply, which took him aback.."I don't put grease in bearing. I have you check them each April, when I renew my safety inspection sticker".

Now, I am wondering about the seals.

Will take this up with them.

Walt
Walt:
I don't know how the mechanic could repack the inner bearing without knocking it out of the hub. To do that, I ruined all 4 of the grease seals on mine. (not that they were any good anyway) but it did knock the spring out of them. Point is--unless they know a way (that I don't know) of cleaning and repacking that inner bearing, without taking it out, it probably isn't getting done.
If he was checking them he would caught that the seal was letting grease out.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Dang, I guess I've been putting this maintainance job off too long. I hate packing bearings and replacing seals. I figured with the EZ lube system I could put this item off for a couple of years. But you got me second guesing now. Better safe than sorry. It is now at the top of my to do list before the next trip.

I usually go50,000 or more miles between bearing packing on my vehicles. My 30sk has only about 10,000 on it and 2 years old and I will be pulling the drums to inspect. If everything looks good in there I will probably stretch that milage out a lot more for the next packing.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

From the original query in this thread, I have to think that the thread originator was talking about the EZ Lube axles but I'm not sure. Since our CF30SK is going on it fourth season, I will be pullingthewheels and hubs to check the brakes etc, so I'll be able to find out if the seals on the EZ-Lube axles are leaking. It sure would help if we had pictures of the originators problem.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
From the original query in this thread, I have to think that the thread originator was talking about the EZ Lube axles but I'm not sure. Since our CF30SK is going on it fourth season, I will be pullingthewheels and hubs to check the brakes etc, so I'll be able to find out if the seals on the EZ-Lube axles are leaking. It sure would help if we had pictures of the originators problem.
No pictures!! I've got everything cleaned up and put back together and I'm not going to take it back apart for pics.
It was just bad grease seals.