Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Greasing axle

2011 Sunset Trail ST25RB, Do the axles on Sunsets have the hole in the center (call it a hollow axle, it about a 3/16 inch journal drilled through the length of the axle to allow the grease to then come out behind the rear wheel bearing ) that all you have to do is remove the dust cap, screw in a zert on the end of the axle, start pumping and the grease comes out between the rear bearing and the seal? Just rotate the hub till everything is full , remove the zert and replace the dust cap, put back on the tire and rim, done. My rainbow cargo trailer has that and it sure makes it a breeze to grease the bearings. Does the rear and front bearing at the same time.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

They do have the e z lube feature like you explained , but grease zert is already there. Most of us like to grease manually as sometimes grease can get behind seal and infect the brakes with grease, especially on an older trailer with worn seals.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

When wheel bearings need more grease it is also time to inspect the bearings and the brakes and replace the grease seals. They do wear out.

Thus no need for the EZ lube feature.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thank you Harley, and RC Flyer, for your input.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

A lot of people here like to put down the EZ Lubes. I watched the video, I know how they work. I spin the tire while lubing by hand pressure on the grease gun, and pump about 3/4 tube through each wheel each year. That's how much it takes to push the new grease through the rear, through the cavity, and out the front, and not just until it does come forward, but until new grease comes through. No, it doesn't explode, or come out and soil the brakes because I pump slowly, and don't use air pressure.
It IS what the manufacturer recommends.
This year, my 3rd season, I'll have the wheels pulled, the brakes inspected/adjusted, and my mechanic and I will look at the bearings. He understands them as well.
If I've done anything that has caused any problem, I'll eat crow, and let you all know. I've got about 13K miles on the TT so far.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

You have to do what works for you. I personally won't put a grease gun on any of the Easy Lube zerks, I prefer to hand pack & inspect everything annually. I don't know who/when but mine had been pumped full with only 5-6k miles & had all 4 brakes contaminated, that's my story.��
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Do you also do the axles on your truck? Why do the trailer axles if you don't do the trucks?
I'm sure the truck has many more miles on it than the trailer does.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Do you also do the axles on your truck? Why do the trailer axles if you don't do the trucks?
This is just my opinion. First, trailer tires are usually much smaller than car or truck tires, and thus have to spin a lot more, and faster, to keep up with the tow vehicle tires. That's one cause of failure. Second, trailers often sit still for long periods of time, which some believe allows the grease to sag to the bottom. Third, people often believe that balancing trailer tires is unnecessary, and they do bounce and shimmy, causing wear on the bearings. Just a few thoughts. No, I've never greased car or truck axle bearings, and can only remember one bearing failure on a 94 Buick after about 100K miles.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Site Team

Using or not using the EZ lube or similar is a popcorn topic. Just sit back and read both the pro and con posts of the members choice.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Most vehicles now have sealed bearings premounted in the hubs, no periodic greasing, just replace the hub when it fails. And yes back in the day when you could grease the vehicle wheel bearings I did do them annually & if I could I would still do so.
This is one of those topics that no one is right or wrong, do what you will as will I & we'll agree to disagree & both be happy.
In my opinion as long as they get greased one way or the other the bearings should last a long time.
I have a know it all BIL that says it's a waste of time & money to grease the wheel bearings on any trailer, that I totally disagree with, but it's his trailer.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote