Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am new to the RV world. I had always assumed (you know what they say about that) that RV roofs had a gutter or ridge built into the sides to direct rain water or moisture from the air conditioner to the front or back instead of draining directly over the sides.

When I visited my Slingshot 29BHS in storage today (when will winter finally end?!) I noticed that water was dripping from the roof all along the living side of the unit. Because it is in storage I did not level the unit side to side and only eye-balled the front to back level. If the unit were properly leveled would this dripping down the side be reduced or eliminated? When camping in it I assume I could make the living side slightly higher than the utility side, but they would just shift the problem from one side to the other.

I did some googling and found several types of RV gutters and extensions, but did not see much mention of gutters when I searched this forum. Beyond keeping the roof clean are there any recommendations for preventing the eventual appearance of black streaks down the side of my TT?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice!

scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have never seen a rig with any ridge to direct the A/C water. You will learn which way to lean the RV when setting up. I recommend getting the corner drip extensions. They help get the water from the gutters away from the sides.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

If your not near level, the water could go over the side gutter.If it close to level, it should run into the side gutter and come out one end or the other, I have seen some where the A/C drained off the front and some off the back, depends on location of the unit and slope on the roof.Most the newer Crossroad have gutter extenders built on the gutters now.My cruiser is a 09 and it has them.Some times there is a crack where they join the gutter together on the side and water can drip thru the crack and run down the side, I have put rtv on these places to stop that, most of the time you see it when your under the awning.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

FB1965-

I have the same problem with a crack/seam in the gutter. Would you please elaborate on what you did to fix? Thanks.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies! I had not previously noticed the gutters along the roof-line and thought for a minute that mine did have them (newb alert!). After taking a closer look at it today when the sun was out I can see them. I think it was as FB1965 mentioned - it wasn't close enough to level so the water was spilling over the gutter. Now to figure out how to get gutter extensions to fit on the ends!
Edited by: scottw
Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

coastn-- All I did was take some clear RTV and smered it in the bottom of the gutter and than took a little and covered the outside of the joint.It stopped the water from dripping down the wall under the awning.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Scott-

I put extensions on a previous trailer. They were a snap on item at Camping World and a minor (under $10) expense. It was easy and made a big difference.

FB-

Guess I've spent too much time shoveling snow. What is RTV? Is it a clear silicon sealer?

Breckenridge, CO
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Believe it or not, for a temporary gutter extension, use clothes pins where the gutter ends at the back & front of the trailer. The drips will follow the end of the clothes pin.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

coastn-- yes on the clear sealer.There are several types and comes in white and clear and several other colors, but I think white or clear is what you want.Don't need a caulking gun, just buy a small tube.If you do like me its old before I use it again.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Got it. Thanks, and yes, I do tend to buy a big tube of things when a drop will do.

Breckenridge, CO
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We had some nicer weather for a change so I finally managed to get out and take a closer look at the top/roof of the Slingshot today. It turns out the water was running down the side of the unit because there is no gutter.

Is this something that you have to either ask for or install yourself? This wasn't something I thought to ask about when we were purchasing. Chalk it up to first timer inexperience I guess. Is it easy enough to install gutters yourself, or is it worth the money to have the dealer install them for you?