Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

This is not meant to be one of those "does anyone know the best way to dispose of a body" questions, but I am curious about the legallity of keeping my pistol in the trailer while driving across country (from WA to FL). I have heard that most states treat the RV like a home- meaning that once it it stopped, it's OK to have a firearm for "home protection". Can anyone substantiate those claims? Don't know if it makes a difference in yoyur answers, but the pistol is registered, and I have a carry permit (for WA).

Thanks,

Jim

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have a CHL and always have 2 or 3 pistols with us. I have two in the truck and one on me and once we get setup everything goes to the trailer. Most States reciprocate handgun license but if we ever travel to a State that does not I will still have them in the truck just not the one on me. Here is a site that might help. In this day and age I would not be without some form of personal protection at all times.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Different rules for different states and Il. is the worst. They have lots of rules.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you ever decide to visit Canada, you'll have to leave your firearms at home. It's illegal to carry or transport firearms in Canada. You'll really don't need them here anyway.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Depending on where we are going, will depend on if I bring some sort of protection with. When we sat in the middle of no place South Dakota 2 years ago on the interstate for over 3 hours, it was pretty scary not having anything to protect the family other than a pop can. To be honest and sound like a vigilante, I really don't care what the law states, all I know is not 1 State Trooper pasted us in the time we sat between the Badlands and Rapid City. And some questionable people stopped or drove by looking... Besides how is anybody going to know your carrying without physically inspecting the vehicle?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you go to Canada they will inspect your vehicle

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Not completely relevant as Canada would be out of your way travelling from WA to FL, but we are allowed to own and transport guns in Canada and many Americans bring guns into Canada every year for the purposes of hunting and competition shooting. You would not be allowed to bring a handgun strictly for personal protection though. If you ever do venture north of the border, the following site provides a good summary:http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/weapons_into_canada.asp
gareth_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

This is a Georgia site however it may help. As always common sense is always the best way to go. http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflr.phpEdited by: dja29RK

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

You must review which states allow or recognize your concealed carry permit. If you enter a state that does not recognize your permit, it must be unloaded, clip unloaded, and stored in a latched closed container large enough to not be concealed on the body. Locked and cabled to a secure location is recommended. Wisconsin and Illinois do not recognize any states permits, and Iowa only recognizes Iowa permits. We need a National Law to allow reproticity (sp?) across all states legally.

That being said - I carry loaded and within reach when traveling with my family regardless of which state I am in. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Do not advertise you are carrying, do not brandish your weapon, do not allow it to be seen by casual observation thru the windows, and do not break any laws that will result in your vehicle being searched by law enforcement officer. I am licensed in Minnesota and accepted in many other states. Refer to www.usacarry.com for more details. Click on CCW Maps and then your state. Blue states accept your permit, red does not.

You will have trouble legally carrying based on this map.
Only you can protect your family - do it responsibly, if not legally. (you interpet what I just stated).

Edited by: oldman

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Once you have your WA permit, copy it and apply for a FL permit. Upon approval, you will be LEGAL in most states. Refer to map as instructed above, click on WA as resident, then click on FL, blue states will recognize your permitS.

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

It seems the OP is asking about weapon in trailer, not on person or in the truck. In Texas anytime we are stopped by law enforcement we must display our CHL. This means we will probably be asked (for any reason) if we are possessing a handgun.

My wild guess is a handgun in the trailer would be OK, even in those states that do not support CHL, or reciprocation.

However, with that said, the only way to make sure would be to contact each individual state you would be traveling through. Most of the CHL websites only cover the issue of carrying on your person.

My fear is to be stopped for a minor offense only to have Barney Fife decide he will make an example out of me.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Doug:

Based on your site, I sure am glad that I am a resident of Michigan! An organization called MCRGO (Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners) had much to do with finalizing the wording for Michigan's concealed carry law and I believe they were instrumental in the fact that it is so well recognized by other states.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Always have at least one with us, Never got it out and never even thought about it.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

The following links might help.

http://www.carryconcealed.net/ They have contact info for the states.

http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php This is a gun forum with many subjects.

You can also google the "Firearms Owners Protection Act" which was passed in 1986(?).

It is a federal law dealing with interstate transport.

As stated above, the best way is to keep a low profile. Don't attract attention and you'll probably be fine.Edited by: rv-rick

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote