Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Heater question

Hey guys, quick question from the newb. we are planning our last trip of the season this weekend and the temps will be 60s daytime 40s nighttime. so i fired up the heater tonight in the driveway just to make sure it was working and it is. but my question is on a new camper is it normal to have a little bit of smoke inside the trailer after running the heater for the first time. everything seemed to function ok. it was just a little hazy inside. is this normal or do i have a problem?

thanks in advance for your wisdom and assistance.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes Oil from manufacturing is on the furnace it burns of and there is smoke, some time a lot of smoke. I have suggested for years that folks start the furnace when they aquire the unit. It some time sets off the smoke alarm
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yes new units will give off a smell also when using the furnace for a while. We purchased ours new in May of 2016 and still had some smell when we used it the first time again this year. You could also turn on the furnace and use your ceiling exhaust fan for an hour or so while it’s in your driveway. Like any new furnace in a house or a camper they have to burn off the new smell.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks , I did just that. Turned on the furnace, filled it with smoke, set of the smoke alarm and then opened the vent lol. Appreciate the answer.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I’ve owned 6 new units and I’ve never had any that smoked where it set off the detectors. New smell burning off but not that smoked up the unit.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

it wasn't thick smoke just a bit hazy but it did set of the detector. i will run it again tonight just to check it out. also i didn't notice any smell.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Normal FOR FIRST TIME FIRING UP.
I am a retired gas inspector, one day I inspected a furnace installation and told the installer it was OK to fire it up. We told the owner who having a party at the time the good news so he gave each a glass of champagne. The house began to fill with smoke so one of the party guests called the fire dept. There we were glass in hand telling the fire chief every thing was OK.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

lol nice, well good news the heater worked flawlessly this weekend as we spent out veterans day weekend with another vet camping at lake eufaula oklahoma. had a great weekend and enjoyed the camping. the wife was very happy that the heater worked lol. thanks everybody and happy veterans day to all those that served.