Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just purchased a Sunset Trails #ST32FR, and need to find out if anyone has puchased any of the stabalizing chocks for the wider stance trailers. I found that BAL makes a model, but not sure if they work well with this tire set up on these trailers. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Eighmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hello,
We just got the same trailer and pick it up April 14. I added you as a buddy, so we can share hints and advice. We are fairly new to camping and look forward to many years of use. I was wondering about the stabilizers as well. Hope we can keep in touch and help each other.
Allan and Betty
32FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I pick up my camper tomorrow. I was thinking of getting the x chock. It extends up to 10 inches. I already have the fastway "onestep"wheel chock. It extends up to 24 inches.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My ST32FR has a wheel stance that is to wide for teh X-Chock and the standard Fastway that goes up to 24". We checked the Fastway out at the dealership and it was about 4" to short on the 24" model. They to make a unit that goes up tp 30" and that may work OK, but it will be close to full extension. I believe the gap at its closest point from tire to tire is about 15". I found the BAL Extended chock goes out to 17", but dont know how well it works when you get it extended out that far. That is why I was hoping someone with the same axel/wheel set up had tried them.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Hi there! We picked ours up Saturday and love it so far. I will keep you updated if I find any things to look for or watch out for. We wont take ours camping until the first week of April. Good luck.
Robert
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team

You can always make a set if there isn't anything out there that will work for you.
It's actually pretty simple.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

TheOne Step does not extend out far enough so I modified it a little (I had bought the two pack before I realized what 'secure stance" really meant). I had a steel bar hanging around that used to connect my old garage door opener to the garage door. It was the perfect length and already had holes pre-drilled (I needed to open them up a little). I replaced the single bar on one of the one steps with it and it works perfectly. I then bolted the piece I removed to the same single bar piece on the second one step and I had a second pair that fit for the additional cost of one of those things that the DW wonders why you don't just throw it out, two bolts, washers and nuts.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

My Slingshot also has the Secure Stance axles. Instead of investing a lot of $$$ in the x-chocks I ended up purchasing standard plastic chocks and a pair of inexpensive jack stands (the kind with the threaded rod in the center that can be adjusted). Placing the jack-stands on the frame just in front of the tires on either side really helps eliminate most of the bounce.

2011 Slingshot 29BHS

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...29BHwithTV.jpg
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

If the BAL model extends far enough�.go with BAL.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Have been very happy with ours.

They are real easy to use and extremely snug.

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
New Camper

We have an '11 Zinger with the secure stance which measures 16 1/2". The BAL says it goes to 17" but we were wondering if that will be snug enough with only 1/2" of "extra" length. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks once again for all the help
jrtcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We purchased a set of the BAL extended chocks and they work great on the extended stance. They still have plenty of grip and stay extremely secure between the tires. They are the best I have been able to fine. They are not cheap, about $75.00ea on line including shipping, so I purchased a set of locks from Walmart for about $8.00 and it would be hard to pull the chock free without cutting the locks off and loosening the chock.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

One thing I found last summer in the terrible heat of theMidwest, if I put the BAL chocks on as soon as I set up camp they'd be loose later because of the tires cooling down. For the best results I'd suggest retightening them after the tires cool down or put them of after the tires have cooled down.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighmy5
We purchased a set of the BAL extended chocks and they work great on the extended stance. They still have plenty of grip and stay extremely secure between the tires. They are the best I have been able to fine. They are not cheap, about $75.00ea on line including shipping, so I purchased a set of locks from Walmart for about $8.00 and it would be hard to pull the chock free without cutting the locks off and loosening the chock.

I don't want to burst your bubble about the locks. If they want to steal the chocks, all they have to do is let the air out of the tires.

Luckily, most campers are honest. We've never had any problems with ours "walking" and we've been RVing for a while. (since ~1971)

And the BALs are great.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote