Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
New Camper

Hill Country plumbing problems

I just bought a 2015 Hill Country BH. I have a problem with the gray water from the kitchen faucet and half bath lavatory draining into the black water tank of the half bath. Nothing is going into the gray tank. The black tank fills within a day or two of use and then backs up into the toilet, lavatory and kitchen sink. I have had the trailer in Explorer USA service for warranty work twice now. The first time they told me it was fixed. Then it happened again on the very next outing. It is back at Explorer USA again for the second time, and now Explorer USA is telling me Crossroads says this is the way it is designed. According to the brochure for the RV, there are four 40 gal tanks, and crossroads sent me the plumbing schematics and sure enough the schematics shows there to be four 40 gal tanks.
I find what Explorer USA is telling me very hard to believe. Anybody out there with the same problem on any Crossroads RV?
rmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If there are 4 tanks, then there should also be 4 valves. If you do not have 4 valves, then maybe one of the tanks is missing and that is why everything is going into the black tank. As you probably already know, the black tank is directly below the toilet. The 4th tank should be located forward of the black tank.

If anyone wants to use the "subject to change without notice" statement and claim a change was made, don't accept that excuse. Two sinks draining into a black tank is not acceptable.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
http://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
If anyone wants to use the "subject to change without notice" statement and claim a change was made, don't accept that excuse. Two sinks draining into a black tank is not acceptable.
Black tank backing up into anything other than the toilet is unacceptable! Period!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks Tim,

I can't imagine Crossroads letting this go. I am calling them tomorrow. One thing for sure, once I get my warranty work completed....if I do get it completed, I am done with Explore USA. You are the most important person in the world until they get your money, but service work lacks a whole lot to be desired. Those guys act like they don't like their job and customers are just a pain in the a**.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Team

When you call CR, ask them if there is some other dealer/place you can get your warranty work done.
They have allowed that in the past for some of the other members.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks to all,
I talked to CR today, supposedly they are calling EXP USA today and get the situation handled. We'll see
Old 03-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Did ExpUSA get you fixed?

I'm in between nego and paying. I'd like to know how this was resolved...I'm getting a HC32RL and I will certainly check that out.

Ron and Jeanette
Kerrville, Texas
Bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
New Camper

Well......CR sent me their schematics on the plumbing system. Unfortunately, the design is such that the kitchen sink is plumbed into the rear black tank to the 1/2 bath. In short, neither CR or Explore USA will do anything about it. In fact, the service rep for CR put me in to a higher up, I left a message but no one ever called back, but by the time I got that far I was pretty PO'd.
There are four 40 gallon tanks, but the only thing plumbed into the rear gray tank is the outdoor kitchen, that's right...a 40 gallon gray tank for an out door sink. I believe I would fire the person that designed the system in such a way The design is such that it would cost me upwards of $2000 or more to have the problem corrected where the kitchen sink would drain into the rear gray tank, of course Explore USA didn't even offer a discount.
If thinking of buying a Crossroads, call CR and ask for the schematics. Obviously, the dealership doesn't know enough about the product to tell you one way or the other. In fact, you may want one regardless of what brand you look at.
I also, checked with Camping World, they had never heard of such a thing, although he did say plumbing the lavatory sink into the black tank is common, simply because the black tank doesn't get enough water for each flush. he confirmed also, it would be fairly expensive to correct.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I can understand your frustration and I can see that it is a big technical problem. I'm guessing that the 1/2 bath sink drains into the black tank, but that is the minor problem. I have one suggestion that you might want to check into. The outdoor sink has to have a flexible drain hose, since it moves but it's gray tank does not. Maybe a 'Tee' could be adding into that hose and another flex hose run back to the kitchen sink. A 1 inch or 1-1/2 inch hose would be sufficient for such a drain. Depending on where the 'Tee' is located will determine how to route the new line. But best choice would be to drop the belly wrap, place the 'Tee' as close to the gray tank inlet as possible and run the new hose inside the frame and strapped to a floor joist to keep it as high as possible. One issue with this would be over filling the tank and having the waste water back up in the outdoor sink.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
http://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for the input Larry, I'll certainly look into your suggestion.