Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Holding tank heater question

Hi,
anyone use a fresh water holding tank heater the kind that stick on the bottom of the tank,I use my RV for deer hunting here in PA have been lucky so far that it has not gone below freezing the first week of Dec. but I don't want to press my luck.
I always blow out the lines and winterize before the trip.
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Couldn't you just pour a bunch of anti freeze in the holding tank?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Lloyd, he's talking about the fresh water tank.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Mark, I see he mentioned that, but, he also stated he winterizes before the trip. So I guess I'm confused as to just what the needs are.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I'm confused as to just what the needs are.
I think he wants to take water along and not winterize before hunting.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I think he wants to take water along and not winterize before hunting.

Probably so, but, that really isn't the way he stated it.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

ok lets start over,,,,lol
I meant to say I winterize before the trip HOME from the mountains so things don't freeze up on the way home.

I fill the fresh water tank when I get to the mountains and wanted to know if anyone uses one of the stick on heating pads that keep the water from freezing in the fresh water holding tank.

sorry for the confuseion
Old 08-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Site Team

OK, that sounds better.
I can't give you a report on the heating pads because I have never used them. Not knowing how cold it gets in your neck of the woods it's hard to judge your needs. I suppose if you have electric where you camp for deer season, the pads would be something to consider if you wanted that peace of mind.
We camp for about a month every fall and the temps have gotten down in the teens at times. It usually warms some what during the day time so that helps also. I don't know what you have for a rig. You don't have it in your sig. but if you have the enclosed under belly, chances are the tanks are getting some heat radiated from the furnace duct run. I leave all the lower cupboard doors open. Which helps in heat distribution along the floor of the camper and helps with the pump and water lines that run in and along the floor. We haven't had any thing freeze up yet.
I know all this wasn't what you were asking, but maybe it will help you decide what you need or don't need to do.
Good luck on the hunt.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I ducted off the furance a extra vent hose into my black tank area. Block off half of the vent hose hole, so I wouldn't lose heat to the floor vents. Now just waiting for winter. Not really, but I'm ready now.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

on my new unit it has heating pads on the tanks. These are controled by a thermostat that turns them on when it hits a certain temp
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
OK, that sounds better.
I can't give you a report on the heating pads because I have never used them. Not knowing how cold it gets in your neck of the woods it's hard to judge your needs. I suppose if you have electric where you camp for deer season, the pads would be something to consider if you wanted that peace of mind.
We camp for about a month every fall and the temps have gotten down in the teens at times. It usually warms some what during the day time so that helps also. I don't know what you have for a rig. You don't have it in your sig. but if you have the enclosed under belly, chances are the tanks are getting some heat radiated from the furnace duct run. I leave all the lower cupboard doors open. Which helps in heat distribution along the floor of the camper and helps with the pump and water lines that run in and along the floor. We haven't had any thing freeze up yet.
I know all this wasn't what you were asking, but maybe it will help you decide what you need or don't need to do.
Good luck on the hunt.
I do the same thing you do with keeping the cupboard doors open ,I have a Crossroads Z-1 it does have the enclosed under belly.I'll try and post a picture of it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg enhance.jpg (234.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Just read about these at the CW site. Available in 12VDC and 120VAC types. Stick on bottom of tank. DC draws about 11 amps, fused for 15. One reviewer got a defective unit, suggests putting in fridge and checking continuity to make sure current will flow. (not a bad idea, since the sticky is a one-time deal) Also, do not allow to come on with an empty tank or it will melt the plastic! They come on at 45 degrees, and heat until 60 degrees. Seems a little high to me, but that's just the temp at the bottom side. About as practical as most accessories, that is, if you need it.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote