Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Holding Tank Treatment

Anyone ever tried "Happy Campers" holding tank treatment ? Bot some, have not tried it yet. Headed to the mountains for the summer next month. Will have a product review.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Never used that before. I use this from Walmart.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Never used that before. I use this from Walmart.
Been using the same brand only in the "Natural" version in the last 3 rvs, have no complaints, it's inexpensive & all Wal-Mart's carry it so no special trip to a rv store.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

google the "GEO method". Cheap, easy; been using it for 12 years (6-8 months/year) along with a CYCLONE roof vent. Works great.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
google the "GEO method". Cheap, easy; been using it for 12 years (6-8 months/year) along with a CYCLONE roof vent. Works great.

X2 on the GEO method

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Been using the same brand only in the "Natural" version in the last 3 rvs, have no complaints, it's inexpensive & all Wal-Mart's carry it so no special trip to a rv store.
Plus about everyother dump I add a good healthy squirt of a cheap dish washing liquid while back flushing then flush til no more suds.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I've been using it for a few years with good results.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
Anyone ever tried "Happy Campers" holding tank treatment ? Bot some, have not tried it yet. Headed to the mountains for the summer next month. Will have a product review.
We use Wales Bio-pak. About a buck each at amazon. Suffered some before we started using it, Not anymore. Happy trails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Seems to have lots of good reviews on Amazon. Please let us know what you think.

I've found one way to combat odor is to make sure there is water in the bowl after flushing, enough to cover the seal. Another is to use plenty of water if connected to sewer. This is difficult if you are boon docking or don't have sewer.

I'm also using the Geo Method. No odors at all. We are seasonal and empty our black tank after about every 3rd weekend. I also spend one to two weeknights at camp and go to work from there in the morning. I use two capfuls of inexpensive laundry soap after emptying my black tank. I also add the laundry soap to the gray tank in the bathroom. I feel like the galley tank gets enough dish soap with use. I've never had an issue with odors from my gray tanks. I suppose even using a capful of the good stuff we use for laundry wouldn't be a big deal every 3 weeks. Then I do the water softener at opening, mid summer and around labor day. I get the water softener on Amazon. Hard to find at Walmart and the brand name is expensive.

Have to say my tank sensors are more accurate since I started using the Geo Method as well, but I don't trust them anyway. Good luck, hope the Happy Camper product serves you well.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Gone Traveling

"Tank sensors" & "accurate" in the same sentence??? I've tried about every method possible on my holding tanks on the last 3 rvs we've fulltimed in & my sensors read either 1/3 or 2/3 regardless, I never even look at them anymore.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
"Tank sensors" & "accurate" in the same sentence??? I've tried about every method possible on my holding tanks on the last 3 rvs we've fulltimed in & my sensors read either 1/3 or 2/3 regardless, I never even look at them anymore.
This was a brand new RV last year. I started with the Georgia Method and my sensors have been reading as accurately as I can tell. They seem to go up with use. Then go to empty when I empty the tanks.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRN View Post
Seems to have lots of good reviews on Amazon. Please let us know what you think.

I've found one way to combat odor is to make sure there is water in the bowl after flushing, enough to cover the seal. Another is to use plenty of water if connected to sewer. This is difficult if you are boon docking or don't have sewer.

I'm also using the Geo Method. No odors at all. We are seasonal and empty our black tank after about every 3rd weekend. I also spend one to two weeknights at camp and go to work from there in the morning. I use two capfuls of inexpensive laundry soap after emptying my black tank. I also add the laundry soap to the gray tank in the bathroom. I feel like the galley tank gets enough dish soap with use. I've never had an issue with odors from my gray tanks. I suppose even using a capful of the good stuff we use for laundry wouldn't be a big deal every 3 weeks. Then I do the water softener at opening, mid summer and around labor day. I get the water softener on Amazon. Hard to find at Walmart and the brand name is expensive.

Have to say my tank sensors are more accurate since I started using the Geo Method as well, but I don't trust them anyway. Good luck, hope the Happy Camper product serves you well.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Water softener at Walmart=Washing Soda located right next to the Baking Soda in the cleaning section. This is generic "Calgon"; same chemical formula (sodium carbonate) used in most (all?) water softeners. Cheap.