Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Holding tank valve cables

I have a 2012 Cruiser 305SK and from day 1 the valve cables have been very difficult to operate. They almost feel like I'm pulling an immovable object and I'm afraid that one of these days something will break between the handle and the valve. Has anyone figured out a way to lubricate these so they function more smoothly?

Look forward to any suggestions.

Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

me too ! i think one of my cables has already broken...
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have an 05 PP and my problem was more a leaking valve (black tank) than sticking. I must tell you that valve replacement is a job. Trying to get the o ring to seal can be a little difficult. However, your question is more about stuck or sticky valves. My guess is the slot for the valve gate may have some gunk vrs the cable sticking. I remember some putting some veg oil in the tank to lube the valve. Hope this gives you some ideas
Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I dumped 8 oz. of mineral oil in my black tank last year. Helped out a lot. Need to pick up two bottles today.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have lubricated motorcycle cables over the years.
You can buy something called a cable lubricator, and a can
of cable lube. You simply attach the lubricator to the end of the cable, push
in the straw for the pressurized can of cable lube and spray. Motorcycle
dealers sell these items.

Our previous trailer had sticking cables that were routed to the
tanks in the enclosed underbelly.
The cables of the trailer were actually larger diameter than
those of a motorcycle, but I was able to clamp the lubricator on and it worked fine. Because the can is pressurized it forces the lube through the cable to the other end. I could actually here it make a bubbling/fizzing sound in the underbelly.

This may work for other people to get their cables smoother and
as general maintenance for the cables. If anyone does this wear eye protection and put a rag over the lubricator/straw, it can get forced out and on you.
DandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I first tried using machine oil to lube the cables. I used a piece of clear vinyl tubing that would slip over the threaded end at the top. The machine oil did slowly flow down the cable. However, it also quickly drained out the bottom end of the cable, so it didn't help.

Later tried the mineral oil to clean and lube the valve blade and seal. That definitely helped. I used it on the grey valve first. Then the black. With the grey tank, blow out the p-trap first, make sure the tank is empty, then pour the mineral oil into the p-trap followed by some water. Let sit for a few hours, then use a bucket to recycle the oil/water mix. Open and close the valve quickly a few times as the mixture is draining. Repeat a second time. Then do the same thing with the black tank valve.

I did this about 1 yr ago. The cable still requires a lot of effort to get it to begin to open, but once it starts moving, it becomes very ez, almost too ez.

My conclusion is that the cable is not the problem, but it is instead a sticking valve. Solids can build up on the seals/blade and even get behind the blade. But flex in the cable makes operating a sticking valve so problematic. Technically, blade valves should be installed with the blade vertical to minimize buildup. But practically they are mounted in the worst possible way, horizontal to slightly down.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote