Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

How cold does your freezer get?

I've noticed a few times that our freezer doesn't seem as cold as it should be. The first clue was that when we put bags of ice in there, the ice doesn't turn into a solid block like at home or in our last RV. My next clue was that ice cream is always very soft.

Then after our last trip when we camped for a full week, we ran out of bagged ice and had to make it from scratch with ice trays (how barbaric, right?). I haven't made ice cubes in ages, but I don't ever remember it taking >24 hours to make ice. These cubes still had squishy watery centers after 24 hours. That doesn't seem right.

(EDIT: I realize that I need to drag a thermometer out there. I don't have one for measuring the cold though.)
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Am I correct to ASSume it's an rv gas absorption fridge not a residential ?

Air flow across the fins inside and exhaust fans on the outside MAY help...

spoiled too much food in my previous rv's, why I will never have another notsocold anything above 40 in the fridge is asking for trouble....

good luck
Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Yes. It's an RV fridge, not a residential.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't remember the exact numbers any more. It just seems like the variance between fridge and freezer was somewhere around 30 to 35 degrees. When we discovered that, we started running the fridge as cold as possible without freezing stuff.
Picked up a couple digital thermometers from Walmart for both fridge and freezer. Pretty hard to get the freezer much, if any below zero degrees.
The coldest area of the freezer is the back left hand corner.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Lloyd. I haven't found a way to adjust the freezer temps. It seems like the temperature adjustment only affects the fridge. I can't tell for sure though.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Site Team

That is the way you adjust everything----just one knob.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

My new fridge (Norcold) works great and the freezer will get down to what ever I want. I normally keep the fridge section at about 37-38 which puts the freezer at about 10 or so. HOWEVER, when I installed my fridge I followed the install directions to the letter and added a lot of air flow Baffling that most manufacturers of RV's don't take the time to do. Airflow is critical in these gas fridges especially if it is in a slide out. I have had mine in 100dg sun and the fridge worked just fine.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
My new fridge (Norcold) works great and the freezer will get down to what ever I want. I normally keep the fridge section at about 37-38 which puts the freezer at about 10 or so. HOWEVER, when I installed my fridge I followed the install directions to the letter and added a lot of air flow Baffling that most manufacturers of RV's don't take the time to do. Airflow is critical in these gas fridges especially if it is in a slide out. I have had mine in 100dg sun and the fridge worked just fine.
X2! We haven't had any issues with ours either. We usually have to do a little defrosting of the freezer after long trips because of a light frost across the back of the freezer.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We're waiting for our 2nd cooling unit to be installed right now. First unit was bad from the get go. Only reason I'm fixing that POS is I have extended warranty coverage. Oh, and it's had a new door flap and door installed also.

When our first replacement was installed, we kept the fridge on cooling level 7. If we left a day or two, we had to lower the number, as things would freeze. Now, on level 9, it does good to pull down to 45*.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
X2, air flow is absolutely critical and that means air flow across the coils. If baffles are not done right, then air may flow around the sides or face of the coils rather than thru the center. If the unit is in a slide out, then the upper vent is too low to create a good chimney effect and a fan with proper placement becomes critical. One final thing, the cabinet that the refrigerator is placed into is really not well insulated. And if there is a cabinet above the unit, then the bottom of that cabinet is not insulated. My point is that poor insulation means unnecessary heat loss that diminishes the effectiveness of the heater and chimney. I removed my unit and installed rigid foam insulation on the inside of the cabinet. No problems now.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote