Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have been planning to do our first outing of the season this weekend at a local state park. The weather is going to be quite chilly with 40-50 for the highs and 30-32 for the lows. No full hookups. But we will have on board water. Will we be okay with our heater on or will we be at risk for our water lines freezing?
https://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...lla1/001-2.jpg
msstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Rule of thumb. Your water needs to be about 27 degrees for several hours before it freezes. The more water you have, the longer it will take since water will retain it's heat. Having the temp drop from 40 to 30 degrees will not immediately freeze your water. It will take time for the water to drop in temp. So, I would not worry about 4 hours or less of freezing temps. If your water tank is anywhere near accessible, you can put a 100 watt light bulb (lit, of course) near it and you will greatly increase the time and temp where you should worry.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Your water also gets a certain amount of radiant heat from your trailer make sure that the heater cyclesoccasionally and you are notgetting all your heat froma portable inside.We have camped in those condition before with no problems. If you de-winterize you will probably want to redoit. Last year after the Texas rally we came home and had to blow out the lines and winterize the traps for that last cold spell

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

My first outing was 3 weeks ago in a County Park...no hookups other than electricity. I filled the water and put about 10 gallons in the black tank with the Geo Method and off we went. Got down to 26 the first night, set the heat at 62 and I don't know if it kicked on or not. Got to high 40's during the day with heavy winds every day. But, everything worked as advertised...I do use the Gas and Electric on the HW as it helps it recover more quickly. Showered every day for 3 days and didn't worry about anything...had less than 1/2 a tank in BW 2/3's in 1 GW 1/3 in the other. I filled them all up before emptying and flushing them. I'm really appreciated to seeing videos and postings on here to help me with things like that. Camping in Deforest, WI right now...heading to Indianapolist on Saturday for a week. So far I'm loving my Cruiser...met 2 other Cruiser owners here...one with a Sunset Trail and the other a 5er. Neither knew about the owner's forum so I clued them in. Hope to see them on here someday soon.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your experience and advice. DH isn't worried, but I was worried about the small plastic lines. We dewinterized a couple weeks ago but after sanitizing we emptied the water tank, HWH, and drained the low point drains, leaving all caps off the lines (we always empty after use and don't travel with water, filling when we get to where we are staying). Due to the cold nights that we have been having, we also have a portable heater on low and it stays about 58-60. If the forecast is for the low to be in the 20s, I think we will not fill with water and just use toted water in smaller amounts. If it looks like it will be above 30, it sounds like we will be okay.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Unless you are in the far reaches of WI I do not think you have anything to worry about. If you put 1 gallon of water outside at dusk tonight and it went down to 26 degress...that water would not freeze overnight...and remember you unit has a heated underbelly, therefore I see no way 60 gallons of water will freeze...I don't think it would freeze if it went down to 30 and stayed there for 2 days straight. I haven't tried that yet but I'm sure I'll be faced with that at some point and I will find out...but in reality I am not worried I hope this helps.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Tator, No heated underbelly in our unit, although it is enclosed. 40 gallon FW and 6 gallon HW.Furnace is not ducted. We will be staying close to Lake Michigan. But I am feeling better and not as worried. We appreciate the insights and we will go, do what we need to do and enjoy the trip.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
New Camper

Tator447 has a great point. The two main factors for water line freezes are duration and low temp. You can have the low temp as long as it does not last more than a couple of days. Your concern should be with the water lines more than the FW tank itself...and they are usually insulated to a small degree.
merleyclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

You'll probably be running heat in the trailer, that should suffice in those temps. Was in Myrtle Beach this past Dec, Jan and the water hookup at the faucet froze, got some heat wires and ran them the length of the hose and on to the faucet. Lines in the trailer were fine ... My $.02

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Update: Survived the cold temps (down to 32) without an issue. We did fill with water and kept our heat on and the inside temp about 60. No problems and we had a great time but unfortunately needed to leave early due to an inlaw medical emergency. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Had our first weekend in our 2012 ST30re. Day temp highs were low 50s. Frost at nite. Electric fireplace worked great during the daytime,and kept the inside nice n toasty! Needed the furnace at nite. Had many nice compliments from fellow campers. Great to gather round the campfire, grill someSheboygan brats,and proast a few of Milwaukees best. Only complaint...matress is very hard, even with a memory foam topper.

Gary & Judy

Special Olympian Nic,

and Cody,the Chocolate Wonderdog

ST30RE
Chz hed campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Proud of both of my fellow Wisconsinites for enjoying this weather. We were to be in Indianapolis this coming week but the trip was cancelled and rescheduled for 2 weeks from now. According to the weather people it is going to start warming up...here we come

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI