Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

How long should rubber roofs last?

We have a 2015, I noticed bubbles / ripples forming at the end of winter when I pulled it out this year. After chatting with the local shop, they indicated that the bubbles/ripples are the first sign that the rubber roof is nearing the end of its lifespan.

So question, how long are people getting for their roofs? Is everyone replacing every X # of years?

To some degree, after this weekends trip, it may not matter for a while. I rubbed the corner on a low branch while camping and created a gash about 18 inches long where the roof and exterior wall meet. Going to deal with insurance on that, but it still makes me wonder how long should do these rubber material roofs last and is there any way to extend them?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We have a 2011 Sunset Trail Reserve, that shows no sign of ripples or bubbles as you mention. Almost makes a person wonder if it was installed properly.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check your warranty on that roof also. Some are ten years from the roof manufacturer. If you end up getting a new roof now or in the future, check out the roll-on roofs. One company is RV Armor. There are more. Some come to your house and finish in a couple days. The price is comparable to an EDPM or TPO roof, but advertise to last forever with no maintenance required. No longer need to check sealant seems, etc.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
We have a 2015, I noticed bubbles / ripples forming at the end of winter when I pulled it out this year. After chatting with the local shop, they indicated that the bubbles/ripples are the first sign that the rubber roof is nearing the end of its lifespan.

So question, how long are people getting for their roofs? Is everyone replacing every X # of years?

To some degree, after this weekends trip, it may not matter for a while. I rubbed the corner on a low branch while camping and created a gash about 18 inches long where the roof and exterior wall meet. Going to deal with insurance on that, but it still makes me wonder how long should do these rubber material roofs last and is there any way to extend them?

The roof on our camper is starting it's 11th year. There has been small bubbles and ripples up there almost since we got it. Hasn't got any worse that I can tell.
There are many roofs out there with bubbles, and periodically some body will post with a concern about a bubble on their roof. So it's nothing new.
I don't think I go for the story your local shop gave you. Take it with a grain of salt and just sit back and watch it.

As far as that tear you acquired, If it was mine, I believe I would seriously consider getting some eternbond tape and patching it myself.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lloyd, get some color matched Etera-Bond tape. That stuff is incredible. Our Sunset Trail had many bubbles in the roof from day one. I addressed it when we bought it and the dealer said it was very common and let me look at other new Sunset Trail campers on there lot and most had some bubbels on there roofs. One would hope they would do a better job at the factory, but they don’t.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We have a 2013 330 SS 5ver, the rubber roof blew back from the leading edge on our way thru Alabama. RV Amour did the repair at our campsite in Florida, did a very good job. When I called Crossroads and told them of my problem, they said it was out of warranty and that I didn't preform yearly maintance on it. Was told at the time of inspection the roof was not installed properly.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Bubbles and ripples are fairly common. I've had them on almost every RV I've had. We had a 2001 Sprinter that was 38 feet long. There were bubbles here and there and I want to say they are usually in an area where the wooden part of the roof comes together. Had that camper for 9 years and never a problem. I used the rubber roof cleaner and treatment stuff every other year.

As for the damage, that's your call. I know people who have had insurance claims that covered replacing the whole roof and it came out very well. I suppose it depends on what your out of pocket cost is and how comfortable you are with a patch vs a new roof.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

As a roofing installer, I wouldn't worry about the bubbles. The rubber roofs on campers are the same as rubber roofs we install on buildings. I can't tell you how long they last. I know of one that is 27 years old. The rubber has no issues at all. I say "the rubber" because the seams have had to have some work. I always tell people that they need to have their rubber roofs inspected, every 5 years. The rubber will be fine, but the seams will come apart, slightly. Any penetrations need to be checked also.
I think it is the same with camper roofs, but I inspect mine once a year, at least. A building doesn't get pulled down the road or under trees. Also, lets say a low branch, scrapes across your radio antenna and pulls it loose. Not off, just loose, so you have a small leak. Then you let it sit all winter. It will leak all winter without you noticing. A good reason to check before storing it for the winter.

The repairs are easy. Make sure you use products for EDPM rubber. Any oil based product will eat through the rubber. Not right away, but over time it will.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Forgot to answer your question. The bubbles aren't a problem. They were there from the beginning.

The rubber is adhered with contact cement.(basically) You apply the glue to the roof and the back side of the rubber. Wait for it to dry, then roll it out. If you get an area that is thicker glue, it's not completely dry. It still has gasses that are leaching out. When you roll out the rubber and seal in those gasses, they will create bubbles.
Just need to be a little more patient when installing the rubber.