Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

how much propane is left?

ok all, why isn't there an accurate way to know how much propane is actually in my tanks? or is there? i have tried the hot water with not so good results. i have tried a couple of bar-b-q type gauges. even tried a pen type device that u ran up and down tank that was supposed to tell exactly where gas level is, it did seem to work sporadically. it seem the best way to tell is by the weight,, but that means removing tanks from trailer. with todays modern tech you would think someone would come up something.......
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I just shake the tank it's cheap and effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Zinger Z-1 19BH
Beer, BBQ & Camping
Colvin Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

There's probably not a 100 percent accurate way to gauge your remaining propane. I've tried all of the methods you mentioned in your OP.

I bought a reasonably priced Camco gauge that has the hot-warm-cold ranges on the gauge. When it starts getting toward the bottom of the appropriate range, I switch tanks, pull the used one, and get it refilled.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I use the auto-switchover. When the glass turns bright red, the tank the lever is pointing to is empty. Switch the lever to the tank that is now actually being used, and the red flag goes away. Refill the first one. (both tank valves have to be open for the system to work. The pressure on the full one pushes the shuttle the other way) One tank lasts me several weeks, and I have about 5 tanks at home, so refilling is easy. BTW, watch the prices! My local place cost $1/lb or $10 for a full tank! Refilling a tank with 3 lbs left would cost me $34! It's easier on everybody if the tank is just plain empty, no weighing involved.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Team

This was just featured in Trailer Life.:

https://www.amazon.com/Products-024-.../dp/B01C5RQI74

Looks like a nice system, not too expensive if you want accuracy.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I use the auto-switchover. When the glass turns bright red, the tank the lever is pointing to is empty. Switch the lever to the tank that is now actually being used, and the red flag goes away. Refill the first one. (both tank valves have to be open for the system to work. The pressure on the full one pushes the shuttle the other way) One tank lasts me several weeks, and I have about 5 tanks at home, so refilling is easy. It's easier on everybody if the tank is just plain empty, no weighing involved.
X2
Marty has pretty well nailed it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
I use the auto-switchover. When the glass turns bright red, the tank the lever is pointing to is empty. Switch the lever to the tank that is now actually being used, and the red flag goes away. Refill the first one. (both tank valves have to be open for the system to work. The pressure on the full one pushes the shuttle the other way) One tank lasts me several weeks, and I have about 5 tanks at home, so refilling is easy. BTW, watch the prices! My local place cost $1/lb or $10 for a full tank! Refilling a tank with 3 lbs left would cost me $34! It's easier on everybody if the tank is just plain empty, no weighing involved.
Oops, sorry, my math mistake. 17lbs would cost$17. Still way cheaper to hand them an empty tank.
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
This was just featured in Trailer Life.:

https://www.amazon.com/Products-024-.../dp/B01C5RQI74

Looks like a nice system, not too expensive if you want accuracy.
I saw this also, and seems like a good choice if knowing the propane level is important to you, and you don't want to look at the switchover gauges.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

thanks everybody, kind of what i thought, i can't really see the crossover switch because it faces trailer and there's barely enough room to get my big head between switch and tt. guess ill try using a mirror next time. tank monitor looks interesting.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I put one of these on each of my LP tanks. They aren't perfect, but they give a pretty good indication of how close to empty I am.

https://www.amazon.com/Astor-Propane.../dp/B00LLIG74I

dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I installed the Tank Check System just last week that Mark5W is showing and it's great. I purchased the kit with the monitor and placed it next to the display panel, it uses bluetooth to make a connection to the sensors. You can also download the app which is free on line and use your smart phone to take your level readings.
I did have problems with the first set of sensors I purchased from a RV dealer but when I called the company they were really helpful and sent me a new set within 5 days. The company has outstanding customer support.
The sensors sit on the bottom of the tanks (they use magnets) and the clearance is tight on some tanks.
I made a plywood base to set in the LP tray to give the bottles more clearance and gives me a little more piece of mind. I also used some rubber 3/16 fuel line from Auto Zone 2' long, cut one side to length and put this around the bottom of each tank which works a lot better than the little rubber tabs they sent with the sensors.

If you do purchase one let me know I can. send some pictures of both methods although the company is aware of this issue and is working on a improved shim also.

Definitely easier than all the other methods and products I've used and more accurate too.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote