Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

how to charge phones while boondocking

We purchased a 28rl sunset reserve last spring. We love the camper it serves our needs very well. One thing that been troubling no where to charger cell phones inside the camper, or watch news and weather on the tv. Our last camper had a 12th connection next to the TV so a 20.00 adapter was the ticket. What have other people done, inverter/converter wired in , or 12th installed. Looking for ideas for best options. We both enjoy boondocking you can get some nice sites, not many neighors, and the price is normally more better. Again any ideas would be greatly appreciated .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Site Team

If you have a cigar/12V plug in your tv you can plug your charger into that.
That's what we do.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

You should have a cigarette type adapter somewhere on your TT. Certainly in your truck. Brunton makes several nice rechargeable power sources including solar. I carry one that is maybe 2.5" square and 1/4" thick when I hunt or hike to recharge my cell.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The only 12th station is in the front storage area. That is great for outdoor charging however when your inside or want to watch tv not so much. my wife just suggested a charge box. We could use as a potable battery. We have a power front jack and stabilizers. This would make for a handy back up. We do have two batteries and led lights in our most used lights. In a former life we ran out of battery power , that made connecting a real pain(many lessons learned that weekend in many areas. It was like getting you PhD in a single weekend. ). Any one have suggestions on this idea.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Site Team

I don't think you will ever have to worry about killing the battery on your tv by charging your phone.

Like Tim, I also have a 12V receptacle in the wall behind the television. Also one upstairs behind where the television goes.

You could also wire in an inverter off your house batteries on the camper.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Since the wife is too high maintenance for boondocking and because, so far, I usually have to have a work laptop with me, we usualy just usb into the laptop or have a 110v cable to cellphone adapter...

There's lot's of solutions, just depends on how fast you want it, how long it needs to last, and how many dollars

solar:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...phone+chargers

"re"chargers
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...phone+chargers
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We were really surprised that there wasn't a 12v next to television. Or inside of camper. The outdoor in storage compartment seemed strange. You have to be looking for it to find it. We got spoiled with last camper where you charge phone, check out news and weather as well as catching a Netflix movie if desired.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

You have to be careful, those 12V outlets by the Television are only rated for light duty, and have an internal fuse. BTW, many televisions have a USB outlet, and a phone can be charged off of it. But if you want a heavy-duty 12V outlet, tap it off of the power distribution panel, or off of the battery itself. Our television runs on 12V, we don't have to use the optional 120 vac-to-12vdc adapter. But then that uses up the only 12V outlet in the house!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Second input. I offered this earlier on a CPAP while boondocking thread. I have a Stanley (also made by B&D and others) 12V power supply that is a jump starter, an air compressor, and it has a 400 watt 120VAC inverter, two 12 VDC outlets, and a USB outlet. It would charge cell phones for days, and a small flat-screen for hours, without even tapping into the house battery. Also good for other emergencies, it can be charged when you get to shore power, or even from you truck's 12V outlet while driving into town for supplies.
Dalzell SC
Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I want to thank everyone for there input. Ideas were presented that I thought of, however you guys presented detail that I had not through, being under powered etc. I really like Marty idea with charger it's flexibility . I also use a CPAP, instead of going the battery route the Stanley charger makes more sense. Again thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Snappy, this is the heavy-duty one, with some extras. Of note is the male-to-male cigarette lighter cord that allows you to plug into your truck, and into this 12V to charge it. I kept mine from an earlier model. Though this is QVC, you can find this at Amazon, and sometimes Lowes. I have a 12V outlet in the bed of my pickup, it charges this fine. There is no regulator, so unplug it when charged, if using the 12V to 12V method. Stanley FatMax Professional 1,000 Peak Amp Power Station ? QVC.com
Dalzell SC
Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I used this 400 watt unit from Harbor Freight, connected directly to the batteries and an extension cord, bringing it in for inside use.
We have to be careful though, is if it's in use when trying to start the generator, it will blow the 40 amp fuses in the converter. If not careful, you can easily run your house batteries down quickly.

ATTACH]1066[/ATTACH]

We did that only once. I'm not sure a smaller unit with the 12v plug would do the same?

image.jpg

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I put a 12 v socket next to the radio and hooked wires to radio with its own fuse. $9 12v to 110v adaptor or a usb to 12v adaptor and works great . there is a shelf right there to put phone ,etc on.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote