Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hurricane prep?

Just wondering. If you are in the path of a hurricane/strong wind storm, what do you do to protect your camper? I'm on a seasonal site lakeside, surrounded by trees, but at my home, I'm also surrounded by trees, so both spots have the danger of falling trees, branches etc.
but if I left the camper in an open space such as a parking lot, storage yard etc., would there be the possibility of the camper blowing around or over?
Frying pan or fire? Anyone with experience in this matter?
2008 F350 Super Duty, 6.4l diesel, 8' bed
CC, LWB, SRW...........green😁
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Be sure your insurance is paid up & then get as far away as possible. The rv/house/cars are way down my priority list of things to save, my life being #1.
I do pray for those that have lost everything & still alive, but pray harder for Those who have lost loved ones along with everything else.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Well, it's insured but I can't go anywhere, but that's not the issue. I'm looking more to hear from people who have been through a storm, how they secured the camper and how it fared. I'm not thinking of risking my butt for it, just practical advice.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthered View Post
Well, it's insured but I can't go anywhere, but that's not the issue. I'm looking more to hear from people who have been through a storm, how they secured the camper and how it fared. I'm not thinking of risking my butt for it, just practical advice.
We park ours in our backyard, facing east. Two years ago we had a flood that almost touched the bottom of the floor! Thank God it didn't get to the untreated wooden floor! Some cleaning, drained water out of battery compartment, greased the axles using the EZ Lubes, and drove it carefully for a while. Used to park it with stabilizers down, but now leave them up during flood warnings, so I can pull it out fast. Main plan is to get out of town, towards dryer land, but will pull it at least to a nearby church parking lot on a hill. Once water starts coming, be REAL careful shutting off the RV Outlet circuit breaker! (Mine is pole-mounted, and I'd be standing in the water.)This week, in anticipating of Irma, I'll turn on fridge, stock supplies, put fresh water in tank, and air up the tires. BTW, it's better to be first on the road to evacuate than last. Campgrounds still open, less crowds. If you leave, and didn't have to, oh well, it was a good emergency drill.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Marty: thanks for the heads up. My campground is 40 miles from the coast at a substantial height, and if I'm at home, I'm 550' above sea level and not near any running or standing water. I will tale your advice on airing tires, filling water tank etc. just in case. I've got a Honda 2000W genny if I need to supply my own electricity for a while.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We are having gas shortages now and $1.00 jump in prices here in little old Mansfield, Tx...

Just like the toilet paper shortage the media created back in the 70's, am comfortable saying the media didn't cause this gas shortage, but the idjuts that are filling up everything they have AND every 5 gallon gas can they can get, caused it.
We should be good in a couple of days once deliveries start up again...

Also wondering why some of the gas stockpiles are not being used ?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Gone Traveling

If some place has jumped $1.00 a gallon then they should be reported to the Texas Railroad Commision for price gouging. Going up .08-.10 cents a gallon should be about normal. If I were to guess, probably the majority of the fuels in the DFW area come from the north not the Gulf Coast, I know that Valero comes from north of Amarillo cause I worked on their pipeline that brings it in before retirement.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I posted a similar question on 8-27-17, and had good info from the replies. If you are watching Irma it keeps drifting more west , right now they have it going over Florida, but it is heading to the gulf soon according to some of the models, as I write this. We are in Louisiana , and basically, if we have to evacuate, we are going. Like someone said on my tread, your life is more important than any material things. Best thing to do is keep an eye on it, and if you feel you are not safe, evacuate.

Happy Camping Yall
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote