Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I dodged a bullet....Phew!!

I'm wasn't a big fan of the 'China Bomb' conspiracy having not experienced any failures in eight of them that came as OE on two new TT's from CW.

I do believe in hedging my bets and always visually inspect my tires, and ensure (every trip) that the pressures are at the MFR's recommended PSI for the load I'm hauling. At every comfort stop I routinely hand check the temps and of course avoid clipping curbs like the plague.

Coming home from Savannah GA last weekend, imagine my horror when the rear passenger side 'Castle Rock' was too hot to touch with a bare hand.

The other three, and my truck tires were warm as you'd expect but not scalding hot. (Note to Santa, please bring me a handheld laser temperature reader from HF currently on sale for $17.99)

Closer examination revealed a noticeable dome to the tread as opposed to the flat profile of everything else.

Sensing the tire was about to fail catastrophically, (I'm guessing the circumferential steel radial plies had separated from the internal carcass) I decided the bumper mounted spare was a sensible option here.

I knew it had never been run, and the pressure was as required as that is part of my aforementioned check list. It's a 'Greenball' 'Transmaster' from Walmart, it replaced the OE 'Castle Rock' one I destroyed in a tight right turn on day one of owning the trailer.....Yeah, tell me about it...

In case you're wondering, all the tires are exactly the same spec. 225/75 x 15 8pr steel belted radial ST tires.

Fortunately the unused (brand new) spare matches the three OE in diameter perfectly, but look at the photo comparing the spare to the one I took off.

Here's what I think is happening, the internal failure has allowed the tire to 'dome' thereby increasing the diameter and consequently the loading, hence the excessive temperature.

I think this was a situation I'm lucky to have got away with. It's going to cost me a set of 'QUALITY' 10 pr tires, but that's cheap when I consider what was riding on these.

What do you think...?
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

What does your camper weigh when loaded?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Wow that was a close one. Glad you caught it and had enough sense to change it out. Nice job!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

That is crazy how much it swelled up vs the spare. And the other 3 looked just like the spare at this same time? Good catch!
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Good morning Lloyd,

According to a CAT scale on I-75 it is 6780lbs loaded as it was.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Good morning Papa-T,

Yes, you and me both.....
I spent the rest of the journey thinking what if.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Good morning Morphrider.

Yes, the other three, and the spare all have the exact same diameter. And before someone asks, when I next stopped for gas thankfully they were all still the same size and temperature.

All four are destined to become mulch or swing seats very shortly.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Site Team

John, the reason I asked about weight was I was wondering if your rig was heavy enough to warrant 10 ply tires? Have you looked into the new tire GoodYear came out with?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Tire Pressure monitoring system would help too. Keeps you abreast of both pressure and temp of each tire. I bought one after a horror trip 4 years ago.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
John, the reason I asked about weight was I was wondering if your rig was heavy enough to warrant 10 ply tires? Have you looked into the new tire GoodYear came out with?

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for asking, and yes, I'd already made my mind up that 10 ply is the only way to go. With the extra rating of (if memory serves) 2800 lbs per tire at 80 psi, the safety margin is considerably greater.

Thanks again for looking out for us.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
Tire Pressure monitoring system would help too. Keeps you abreast of both pressure and temp of each tire. I bought one after a horror trip 4 years ago.

Hi Impres,

Ironically I do have a TPMS, It either didn't give me a warning or I completely missed it.

The tire pressures on all four wheels were and in face still are within half a pound of where I set them at the beginning of our journey.

I didn't notice a thing until I actually touched the tire tread and believe me it was scorching, at which point my primary concern was resolving the problem rather than diagnosing why it got that way in the first place.

My old flying instructor said "In an emergency, your one goal is to continue to fly the aeroplane, you'll have plenty of time to figure out what you did, or what went wrong once your safely on the deck"

Believe me when I say I'm going to see what I can do better in the future to avoid the gut wrenching feeling this experience gave me.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for posting, Biggles, and Merry Christmas to all.
I was wondering, can you tell us about how many miles you got off your original tires?
And what are the new ones?
I'm only a weekend warrior til I retire next summer, and I'm trying to keep my original tires til about then.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Good morning WD, and Merry Christmas to you too.

The tire that failed had no more than 5000 miles total on it. It was the original spare supplied by the Mfr.

It's still on the rim in my garage, I intentionally deflated it and intend to do an autopsy on it with my reciprocating saw to see if there's any obvious internal failure, but yesterday's festivities got in the way.

I will post pictures when I do it if there's anything to see.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

During prep for trips, I have in past been told that I had a broken belt and paid for new tire without question or inspection (not my common practice, I usually say "show me")....
.. now you make me wish I had said show me
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Can’t wait. I bet it’s a mess inside.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote