Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I really messed this up

We have a CrossRoads Zinger 32QB that we've enjoyed over the past 10 years. Kids are all older now and we've outgrown it so I took it to the dealer to have him do maintenance on it because we are wanting to sell it.
He just told me that the seals were bad and over the winter we had water damage (I knew it had leaked it some but thought it was around the vents so I replaced the vents and sealed them with plastic during the winter) which results in needing a new roof ($3500-4000) and there's mold inside the walls. I don't know yet how much that would cost but its probably going to be close to the value of the camper.
I was also told that insurance won't cover it because its due to a lack of maintenance. So my dilemma is what do I do with it? Do I fix it? I can't sell it the way it is now, probably can't give it away. Do I part it out? Set a match to it?
Thanks for any help.
Joe

2006 Zinger ZT32QB

Traveling with my wife and 4 kids. Blessing upon Blessing.
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sell it privately with full disclosure of the issues at a fair price. Your heart and wallet are probably not into paying for top notch repairs. Besides most dealers will not do a great job especially if they know the unit will quickly go to a new owner. And don't sell it on consignment or trade it in, such that an unsuspecting buyer gets stuck with problems they are unaware of and lack the knowledge on proper repairs. Why ruin the RVing dreams of some other family? Just accept the loss in value and move on.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Team

That would be a hard one to swallow all right. I have been doing a little musing on it since you posted.
There a few ways to look at it to maybe make the situation a little more bearable.
You folks have gotten 10 years of enjoyment out of the trailer-the value has drastically been reduced in that length of time. If it's as bad as you say it is, then I don't think I would attempted to fix it if it was mine, and I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it either. You are to be commended for your honesty in not wanting to stick it on anyone. With that outlook on it, the only way I see that you could sell it would be for you to be straight up with any potential buyer and sell it AS IS with them having a complete understanding of what they might be buying. If you figure just what you might have to pay out to fix it, you might be further ahead to accept considerably less to get it off your hands. Then it's out of sight and soon out of mind.
Good luck with your decision.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Yes, I agree with full disclosure. I posted an ad on Craigslist and there has been some interest. I don't have any idea what they would use it for unless they are planning on gutting it and starting all over.
Thanks for the help/advice.
Joe

2006 Zinger ZT32QB

Traveling with my wife and 4 kids. Blessing upon Blessing.
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Had a similar issue with a Monoco 5th wheel. Spent a whole summer ripping out wall panels. Removed kitchen cabinets ceiling to floor. After it was dry I cleaned everything with bleach and coated exposed wood with a penetrating epoxy sealant, then replaced new wallboard, floor and vinyl tile. I did this from the kitchen back. Materials were fairly cheap, but labor was intensive.

According to NADA the rough retail value of your Rv is $7200 in good shape. You never get the retail value so you can take it from their that the real value of your RV with all the damage will be extremely less.

Good luck with your decision, and like Lloyd said, you did get a good 10 years out of it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I would advertise in some hunting forums. Your loss might make a great hunting camp especially if its cheap. They're not going to care about interior walls. Might now care about the roof. One of the last hunting clubs I looked at every camper there had a tarp on the roof. i didn't join but they did have members.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

First thing I'd do is get a second opinion especially if they didn't show you first hand the damage they discovered. I wouldn't/don't/never will trust a rv dealer/service writer if they told me the sky was blue til I saw it myself.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
First thing I'd do is get a second opinion especially if they didn't show you first hand the damage they discovered. I wouldn't/don't/never will trust a rv dealer/service writer if they told me the sky was blue til I saw it myself.
Excellent advice. It's shocking to hear from a "prophet of doom," and easy to believe the worst. But a second opinion will either confirm what you heard, and banish later regrets, or maybe just open up other options.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Team

You can buy mold test kits. Then you can get an idea if your rv is infected with mold.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-M...SSFQZ2Y2G06G6T

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Worst case you could always donate it and take the tax write off. PBS and other orgs are always looking for car/boat/trailer donations.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I would definitely want a second opinion.

But if you are mentally done and ready to move to the next option, I wouldn't spend more money on it. See it, take the loss. You can spend $5k on it, and only get $3k back for those fixes, so just cut the losses and move on.

If you are so upside down or owe too much, perhaps you have to fix and keep for another couple of years.

I do like the idea of seeing if anyone wants it for a hunting cabin.