Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
New Camper

I just picked up a new zt26BL Zinger with the Insulated enclosed underbelly option. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Do they heat the underside with the floor heater ducts or does it just depend on radiant heat from the cabin? We do winter camping (Texas wimp style) that means in the 20 degrees is a bad winter day. (Ok I am a native Texan so I can make fun of ourselves). I will be installing a heater electrical tape around the gray and black drain valves that are exposed to keep them from freezing.

Thanks,

Paul in Plano Texas
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Radiant heat from the floor heater ducts. And welcome from a fellow Texan.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks. I guess that means I need to run my propane heater now and then. Typically I just use a little electric heater.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Paul, we stayed in Kerrville a couple of years ago over Christmas when we had our Cruiser and the temps were in the mid to upper teens for three nights in a row. The daytime temps were above freezing and I never used the propane heater. We used two ceramic heaters that kept the trailer plenty warm andI never had any issue with the holding tanks. Now if the temps were going to be below freezing for several days that would be a different issue. We have yet to camp in the Paradise Pointe with temps below freezing but we are leaving 12/22 for a Christmas/Hunting trip and there may be a good chance of that happening. Of course here in Texas it may be in the 70's at this time of the year....
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

On my Cruiser, there is no insulation between the metal heat duct and the underbelly so most of the basement heating is via radiated heat. However, there was also a single 'vent' into the basement, it was a 1 inch diameter hole punched thru the bottom of the duct. I plugged it up. I don't want to waste propane heating the basement when temps are in the 40s and 50s since we also do much of our camping in Tx.

I frequently use electric heaters whenever I can. I have camped for several cloudy days with temps continuously between 25-27 degrees, used no propane, and never had a water problem. The first thing that is at risk of freezing is the fresh water pickup tube that feeds the 12V pump. If you are camped and leave the gray water valve open, then that is not a freeze concern. Here in Texas, if you pay attention to the forecast, it is unlikely you will need to open the black tank valve while temps are below freezing.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote