Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
New Camper

integrated brakes controller reading not connected

I was pulling my zinger last year with my ram 1500 and had no issues with the brake controller saying not connected. My brake controller was a protégé 3

I recently purchased a ram 2500 with a integrated brake controller and last weekend went on a trip to the beach and half way through the trip down the dash gauge would show, brakes disconnected, check wiring. I pulled over and made sure everything was connected and it was. It continued saying that the rest of the trip there and back. I was talking to a co worker and he has several trailers and he said that trailers use scotch locks where the wires are connected and they corrode causing poor contact. He also told me that he thinks this could be the problems. Has anybody had this happen? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
If this is the case, should I fix this myself or take it to be repaired?
twins dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Your co worker is incorrect. Scotch locks are made with a brass clip coated with tin. Brass used in scotch locks or wire terminals is often protected against oxides with tin, which is a barrier type plating. Tin offers corrosion protection, especially from the oxidation due to air and sulfur compounds. And since the scotch lock is something that is not repeatedly taken off and on the tin plating does not wear off and protects against oxidation for a extremely long time.
It is possible that the lock is loose and not making a good connection.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Team

I don't know that I agree with that part about them not corroding. I've taken quite a few of them apart when having a problem and I can tell you first hand they don't like the salt in our area.
I have gotten to the point of automatically cutting them out and then soldering the line back together and use a shrink sleeve.
Maybe they have changed them in the later years?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Should have noted Lloyd, that that info was for a brand name scotch lock. 3M. Can't speak for the Harbor Freight brand.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins dad View Post
I was pulling my zinger last year with my ram 1500 and had no issues with the brake controller saying not connected. My brake controller was a protégé 3

I recently purchased a ram 2500 with a integrated brake controller and last weekend went on a trip to the beach and half way through the trip down the dash gauge would show, brakes disconnected, check wiring. I pulled over and made sure everything was connected and it was. It continued saying that the rest of the trip there and back. I was talking to a co worker and he has several trailers and he said that trailers use scotch locks where the wires are connected and they corrode causing poor contact. He also told me that he thinks this could be the problems. Has anybody had this happen? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
If this is the case, should I fix this myself or take it to be repaired?
I have a 3500 RAM and had the same problem 2012 and it was the trailer. I had pulled several trailers without issue. I traded the trailer in and no more issues. The trailer was brand new, one wheel was shorted out, and not working, i found this by using just trailer brakes and checking the drums for heat. The ram also has a setting on the steering wheel buttons to set heavy electric or lite duty.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Should have noted Lloyd, that that info was for a brand name scotch lock. 3M. Can't speak for the Harbor Freight brand.
I don't think I indicated anywhere in my post a reference to Harbor freight brand.
Beside the lock it self corroding, it also allows the corrosion to work back into the wire compromising the wire so a length of that also has to be replaced.

Just stating my experiences with the locks.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Make sure your 7 pin is making good connections and there are no bent pins etc.

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

You might want to check your connections in the juction box that your trailers pigtail goes into for a bad connection. I had a previous trailer that had a similar issue and it ended up being in that junction box where the wire came loose from the pigtail wiring.

Phil & Janine
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't think I indicated anywhere in my post a reference to Harbor freight brand.
Beside the lock it self corroding, it also allows the corrosion to work back into the wire compromising the wire so a length of that also has to be replaced.

Just stating my experiences with the locks.
Being an electrician [retired], I say "amen" Lloyd! The brand does not make much difference! In fact, as far as I remember, the only type wire nuts for outdoor use are the ones filled with silicone paste and I would not trust them without a covering of some type.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

X2 Lloyd and Carl!
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote