Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
New Camper

Inverter Project Questions

Hi,
I have some inverter project questions that I would like to as the group.

First for background. I have a 2015 Rushmore Franklin with a factory power panel and two standard deep cell batteries. At purchase I had a Onan gas generator installed which has a transfer switch with shore power being dominant. Additionally, I have 500 watts of go power solar installed which allow the camper to sit without the dc vampires draining the batteries.

Now my questions regarding my inverter project:

1) With the setup above, where/how would I insert a second transfer switch.. or do they make three was transfer switches(shore first, generator second, inverter third)

2) Does anyone ever install an “AC Inverter On/Off” switch in their power cabinet?

3) Do they make any inverters that come with a on/off switch?

4) My inclination is that if I am going to buy an inverter that I might as well power all AC plugs and devices. (Bigger inverter but less wiring needed). However, many posts seem to run wires to isolate just a TV or a plug or two. My question is... what are the pros and cons and is my thinking of powering all flawed?

5) Will I need to expand to more batteries or perhaps jump to lithium?

6) If yes on batteries and lithium, are their brands that have charge controllers eliminating the need for upgrading my factory power panel. (Lithium unaware)

7) Last question, any brand preferences on pure sign inverters and size?

As you can see... This I have a lot of questions on this project. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Craig Doering
Wcdoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

If you're wanting to power the entire coach from an invertor it would seem to me you'd need a spot like a big motor home with a bank of 6-8, or more, batteries not to mention a huge invertor which all equal lots of space & tons of weight.
I have no experience with any of this, we don't/didn't/wouldn't boondock long enough, if ever, to use that type of set up. Sounds very expensive & lots of work to avoid paying campground fees or whatever your need may be.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Site Team

My suggestion would be for you to call the inverter co. of your choice and ask them all your questions. That way you should get the correct answers.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I just ordered the Xantrex 3000w pure sine wave inverter. Has built in transfer and 150w charger. It has the ability to auto start generator as well. But it’s not cheap. 1300-1800 us to start. Then the control panel and optional gen start. 3-400.00 more. I will get info where I ordered mine. Was on sale for 999.00

It was at summit racing last week. Not sure if you can still get sale price but it wouldn’t hurt to call.
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like you need to do a load test and find what your max., min., and avg. load are for the trailer I don't think you will ever run AC from an inverter. That said - Li-ion batteries are expensive but the best solution for someone wanting to run primarily solar. They supply 12V down to 20% while Lead acid and agm drop below 12V @ around 80%. There are several very good websites offering packaged solutions for home, rv, and portable. I suggest searching and talking with their reps.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniozzy3 View Post
I just ordered the Xantrex 3000w pure sine wave inverter. Has built in transfer and 150w charger. It has the ability to auto start generator as well. But it’s not cheap. 1300-1800 us to start. Then the control panel and optional gen start. 3-400.00 more. I will get info where I ordered mine. Was on sale for 999.00

It was at summit racing last week. Not sure if you can still get sale price but it wouldn’t hurt to call.
Holy sh##!!!!!
With the ion batteries you could have $10-12k in this system pretty quick! I'd definitely mount it all with wing nuts & zippers so it's easily transferred to the next rv.
A couple Honda generators at $1000 a pop, with a box of ear plugs if needed, are sounding real good to me.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Holy sh##!!!!!
With the ion batteries you could have $10-12k in this system pretty quick! I'd definitely mount it all with wing nuts & zippers so it's easily transferred to the next rv.
A couple Honda generators at $1000 a pop, with a box of ear plugs if needed, are sounding real good to me.
This system will be transferred to next rv. We basically camp off grid. I never stayed in one camp ground all summer. We basically have been screwed over everytime we have tried the reservation system. So I basically made my own camp sites.

Li Ion batteries will run us 2900 Cdn up here. Not even an option yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3619.jpg (157.9 KB, 16 views)
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
My suggestion would be for you to call the inverter co. of your choice and ask them all your questions. That way you should get the correct answers.
Sound advice you have gone further than most of us.👍
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Hi Craig
Maybe I can help a bit. We have a Seville 5th wheel with a solar system we put in our selves.
We have a 3000 watt Aims inverter/charger being fed by 6/6volt deep cycles at 700 amp hours. On roof we have 300 watts of panels going into a 30 amp pwm charge controller.
This works well in a serviced rv park. We also have a 3000 watt Honda gen set for off grid. Use about 60% less grid power than our neighbours.
At this point we have replaced our rv fridge for a household one.Uses less power and runs well on the batteries.Any extra heat we need We have a separate electric system to bypass batteries, the same for a/c.
We are updating system with 2 more 150 watt panels and a 80 amp mppt charge controller.
Inverter is set with battery priority so when they get down to 11.3 volts it switches to grid and charges batteries. When full switches back to battery.
The improvements should give us longer battery time and less switching.
So much to learn about this . Also in your research look for info on 24 and 48 volt inverters.
Hope this helps. I will be available in the future.
Good Luck...Later ...Cheers....Finlay,,,(Grant)
Finlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverters, lithium, transfer switches