Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Is CrossRoads a Reputable Company?

When considering campers we looked at the famous brands like Jayco, Coleman, and others. We had some concern purchasing from an unknown but CrossRoads had a model we really liked.

A week ago we sent in a question from their website and never heard from them. What should I expect?
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've owned four Jaycos and two Crossroads. I liked both brands. But you have to remember that what ever brand you purchase you might have some problems or warranty repair work. I never had any problems with my Jayco's but I was probably lucky. I have friends that have other models and they have had issues from the get go on new units so it's pretty much a crap shoot. I would recommend either one.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Papa-T: Thanks for your reply. I fully expect to have some warranty repairs, in fact, only a few weeks into it I am already waiting for warranty repair parts to our new camper. I'm ok with that. What I am not ok is reaching out to the manufacturer about a concern and them not acknowledging me. I guess I will have to try calling them.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

Crossroads is a rv manufacturer just like all the rest, as Papa said it's a carp shoot. The deciding factor is 90% dealer-10% manufacturer, if you got a good dealer you've won the battle, if all they ever tell you is "waiting on authorization" or "waiting on parts" go as fast as you can to someone/somewhere else as that usually means we haven't bothered to call & get "authorization" or "parts" & aren't in any hurry to do so.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Fender B
I bought my 305 SKP Cruiser in 2012...At that time owners were still able to call the factory and talk to someone there about any problem you might have with your camper and I have done so on many occasions...If you scan this forum you will find that is no longer the case...The company wants you to resolve any problems you might have at the dealer level...Unfortunately if you bought from a crappy dealer you might have a very bad time getting problems with your camper fixed...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Depends on who you asked !

those that love their rv or those that had to return them
Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I had contacted Crossroads customer service a few times regarding leaks and screws popping on my roof. They were not accommodating and did not go the extra to assist the customer. The dealer I purchased from had an extreme backlog which would mean my camper sitting out in the weather. When I asked the factory customer service person to assist with finding another dealer and they simply referred me to the website wouldn't even look up another local dealer in their system.

I got tired of chasing leaks and other quality issues on our 289QB so I traded it for a Starcraft which is a Jayco product. So far so good. The two warranty issues I had Jayco customer service handled immediately and direct.

I still hang around this forum as there are good people with a wealth of knowledge but just couldn't stand the Crossroads product I had. The truth is though you could replace the model and brands I wrote about above and the story could be the same.

Good luck and hope you have a better experience than I did with CR.
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Site Team

I’m not trying to be flippant or make lite of your questions and concerns, with my answer.
The way I see it with these RV companies is, if you don’t expect more then you get, you won’t be disappointed. It seems as tho what little QC there ever was has greatly diminished. (they all seem to be the same)
If I had my way, there are a lot of people working in that industry that would hit the door. To many are there just to collect a pay check with little or no regard as to what they are doing to receive it. Some times you hear great reports on customer service, some times not so good. The lack of consistency in-- QC, customer service, pride in workmanship, has certainly not gotten any better lately. If the public continues to purchase what they put out there for a product, then I don’t see where they have much incentive to change.
What is needed, is some good old competition from a reputable Japanese company. That could go a long ways in righting the ship. The same way it help straighten out the US auto makers.
I hate to be negative, but this is a touchy sore subject with many of us.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

You better be a good handyman. Or maybe have access to a good mobile RV tech. Our dealer was worthless. After the one warranty was gone, the extended warranty took over. My mobile rv tech guy is awesome. We full-time in our Rushmore. What I can't fix, I give a call to mobile RV tech. Love our floor plan.
Good luck, happy camping.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I’m not trying to be flippant or make lite of your questions and concerns, with my answer.
The way I see it with these RV companies is, if you don’t expect more then you get, you won’t be disappointed. It seems as tho what little QC there ever was has greatly diminished. (they all seem to be the same)
If I had my way, there are a lot of people working in that industry that would hit the door. To many are there just to collect a pay check with little or no regard as to what they are doing to receive it. Some times you hear great reports on customer service, some times not so good. The lack of consistency in-- QC, customer service, pride in workmanship, has certainly not gotten any better lately. If the public continues to purchase what they put out there for a product, then I don’t see where they have much incentive to change.
What is needed, is some good old competition from a reputable Japanese company. That could go a long ways in righting the ship. The same way it help straighten out the US auto makers.
Loyd
You are 100% correct as long as we keep paying dollars for for these poorly constructed things. Nothing will change. We need to get to their pocket books
Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Loyd
You are 100% correct as long as we keep paying dollars for for these poorly constructed things. Nothing will change. We need to get to their pocket books
Walker
that is hard to do when the Jayco that tott bought and so far is happy with, is also made by Thor...So all tott did was take the money out of one pocket and put it in the other...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:14 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Will be even harder now that they all will be building a million FEMA trailers soon.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this statement. I manage a location in Elkhart, IN and the first I was there I was a local restaurants bar and struck up a conversation with husband and wife. They were there with their Thor coach getting some warranty work. He said Thor offered them a complimentary tour of the manufacturing area. The guy said that after touring Thor he stated that about 80% of the workforce would probably not pass a drug test. So, that's what is building our RV's.

With the huge increase on sales for RV's places in the Elkhart area like Thor, Lippert, Forest River and all of the other popular branded RV manufacturers are busting at the seams. They can't get the product out the door quick enough which coins the phrase "quantity over quality". Until the RV industry adopts the automakers quality standards it's never going to change.

The RV manufacturers in the Elkhart area have scooped up just about every able body that can and wants to work. The umemployment rate in the northern Indiana area is damn near zero. I know this for a fact when I'm trying to hire folks and unless you are paying max dollars the RV manufacturers in the area have an edge.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I've been very disappointed in CR customer service. I've called them a few times, never resolved an issue. They couldn't even provide me with recommended torque specs on our lug nuts. Thankfully, some one on here stepped up.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I have had our Crossroads unit for less than 2 years and I have never had to call Crossroads for any warranty or repair issues. I have dealt with our local RV dealer, Northgate RV, and they have been great on repairing or helping with our unit. I guess like someone said if you find a good dealer that actually cares about the customer then you have a leg up on the situation.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #16
New Camper

We just bought a crossroads volante 310BH to replace our Colman CTS295QB which was a POS but in the end both company's are owned by keystone who
Is owned by Thor. So hopefully
It is an upgrade
2007 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins
2001 Glaston SX175
rjsymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:51 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Everyone can only tell you their own experience with them, so here is mine:

I bought a brand new 5th wheel from them. 15 months after I bought it, on our first long trip I had a tire snap all the lug nuts off and depart the unit. It caused major damage. When the mobil repairman was talking to them on the phone getting part numbers, the CR rep asked him to take pictures and send them because they had similar issues with other trailers. When I got home, I did some internet searching to find that CR had a recall for the exact same trailer but one year off of mine. I contacted them to get them to cover the costs. They refused, saying my unit wasn't included in the recall. I didn't let up and after many back and forths, they finally gave in and covered it.

When I was picking up the unit I showed the Service Manager a seam that kept separating even after I attempted to reseal it. To keep a longer story short, they determined that CR had failed to put lumber in the trailer chassis base rails. This caused the lag bolts to bend and snap. Which then caused excessive flex in the unit. $2500 later CR refused to cover anything to this date. I'm not done with them.

So that's my story. Hope you don't have a repeat.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I have to agree with what everyone has said so far. If you find a good dealer, you better stay with them. After I switched trailers last year to Grand Design, I have not talked about it or the manufacturer on this website. But I will say Grand Design is top notch for customer service. They will answer your calls, send parts to your house if desired, etc. They will even authorize a mobile tech if the situation calls for it. I try to do what I can to work on things myself as needed, and am going to use a local repair shop if something comes up I can't handle.

As another member said, I stay around here because of the members.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post

As another member said, I stay around here because of the members.
And we're glad you did.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I would say "fair quality". They use cheap "china bomb" tires. workmanship on assembly is fair to poor, at best. Just my opinion of course. Worst problem are things like dometic a/c's or dometic fridge's. Can't do anything about that. We bought a new 2011 crossroads, and are on our 4 th a/c and 2 nd fridge, and fridge still doesn't work on gas. Got 7 yr extended warranty, well worth it.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote