Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I would like to know where exactly one is supposed to jack in order to change a tire?

I understand that jacking on an axle is a no-no.

So how do you jack high enough to get a wheel off in the event of a flat.

Any suggestions or better yet the PROPER method of jacking.

It would be good if this was included in a manual, of course I may have missed that section.

Thanks for the help out there.

egrum@shaw.ca
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I jack under the u-bolts.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Same here.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Same here.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit

I jack under the u-bolts.

If your axles are mounted below the springs, then you want to be careful that you don't deform the axle tube.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

To first answer your question I jack under the U bolts, one tire at a time. If you are changing a flat tire a jack is not the only option if you have more than one axle. I think it is much safer and easier to use a trailer aid. here is the link to that product http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...iler-aid/10867
Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The trailer aid didn't work for us, the other wheel stayed on the ground while the tt just twisted.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

When I jack under the bolts I put a 2X6 piece of wood there too to try to distribute the load in the spot. Like others have said - do not jack on the axle tube - it will bend.

I have a trailer aid - just have not used it - figured I would if I have a flat while travelling and I do not want to jack up the unit.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrum
I would like to know where exactly one is supposed to jack in order to change a tire?

I understand that jacking on an axle is a no-no.

So how do you jack high enough to get a wheel off in the event of a flat.

Any suggestions or better yet the PROPER method of jacking.

It would be good if this was included in a manual, of course I may have missed that section.

Thanks for the help out there.

egrum@shaw.ca
Here's a link to a u-tube video showing how the trailer aid is suppose to work.

I don't agree with jacking under the u bolts for the same reason Hamops stated. If you stop and think about it, you are actually putting all the weight you're raising right on the small area that the u bolts cover. Like I stated in another thread, they want us to raise the trailer by placing the jack under the frame. Either in front or behind the axles. Now that takes one heck of a pile of blocking so you can reach the frame, more then I care to bring along.
Anaro stated the trailer aid didn't work for them. It might not raise the tire completely off the ground, but there won't be much weight left on that axle and you should be able to place a bottle jack under it and finish lifting it high enough to change the tire without the worry of damaging the axle tube.
I have a 20 ton bottle jack I carry ( I know extreme over kill) but I tried raising the trailer with a little short stubby 8 ton, it didn't like it at all.
I welded up an adapter that sits on top of the jack. Just a short piece of angle iron welded to a pipe cap that fits over the jack. It cradles the axle and should even out the force being put on it a little more.
Another thought is, some of us have the older units and just maybe they were making the tubes with a little heavier wall back then. There has been some tubes lately that are collapsing. I haven't paid attention to how old the trailers were.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'm just a little confused! The dealer told me that when one wheel is raised on my ST30RE, the other wheel will remain on the ground (on the same side). Something to do with the way the 2 axles are linked together. I haven't tried it but looking at the axle gear it would appear he is correct. If so, then raising one wheel ain't going to allow you change a flat. Am I (and he) correct?
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4lrjfd
I'm just a little confused! The dealer told me that when one wheel is raised on my ST30RE, the other wheel will remain on the ground (on the same side). Something to do with the way the 2 axles are linked together. I haven't tried it but looking at the axle gear it would appear he is correct. If so, then raising one wheel ain't going to allow you change a flat. Am I (and he) correct?
this was the problem I came across with the trailer aide, no matter how high a stack of lynx levelers we put under that trailer aide, the rear tire never came off the ground (we had the trailer aide under the front tire).

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
New Camper

I'm new here too...had lots of questions and I look here for answers all the time!

As far as the jacking question...I was told to "look for the U-Bolts".

The one piece jack-aid only works if your TT has the "short" wheel pattern (distance between the tires is about 6" between them. My TT has the "secure stance", and there is at least 16" between the tires. What is the distance between the front and rear tire (assuming you have a trailer with two axles)?

Troy

TroyInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Just for grins I tried my trailer aid to see what would happen. It didn't look like it lifted the axle because of the suspension but the tire turned so I guess it was a "just barely". I noticed at the dealer the other day they now have a trailer aid with 5 1/2" lift instead of the normal 4 1/2". That would probably work better.

If push came to shove I would put my jack under the axle after driving onto the trailer aid. I know there wasn't much weight on it so should be good.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Well I started this so I guess I will add my 2-cents.

I recently took our trailer into a frame shop as I had one tire (right rear) severely worn almost down to the threads in less then 8000 miles.

The shop ran a test on the axles and found that they were severely out of alignment, (toe-in). They said that Klippert axles were so cheap that they would not attempt a repair as the tubes are so thin that they will either bend, break or crack and they will not take responsibility for that. They told me that the other trailers in the yard all had the same issue and the axles were all the same manufacturer (Klippert). The shop said they could replace my axles with Dexter Axles in about 7 - 10 days. Dexter were a far superior axles and they could be repaired if I brought the trailer in with a similiar complaint.

Interesting that there were 3 other trailers in that frame shop for the same issue (some way worse than ours).

I called the dealer, after I explained that I thought I had an issue (due to the tire wear) and I also stated that a tire shop had recommended going back to the dealer, for a check and maybe it would be covered by warranty. The dealer took our trailer and obtained thier own measurements and told me that yes the axles were out of align. They siad it looked like it would be covered by warranty, and they would contact the manufacturer (Klippert),

The result is that Klippert said I was out of warranty (surprise) however as a good will measure they would supply new axles at no charge, but labour to install, tire wear and any other costs they would not cover. In other words I could have the same cheap axles
I elected to go with the Dexter axles and call it a day.

I have a set of brand new Klippert 3200 lb axles I am willing to sell for $500.00 if anyone is interested.

Oh the frame shop said that the ony place to jack is on the U-bolts as that is the place where the weigh sits anyway. I checked the frame and with the height I would need a half-cord of wood to jack there.

Instead of a fancy "Trailer-Aid" why couldnt one set enough blocks out and drive a wheel up on those (similar) and change a tire?

egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:

The wheel that is raised is the one you change, not the one still on the ground.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
The wheel will come off the ground unless you run out of lift height from the jack.

When I service the bearings/brakes in the spring - I place the jack on</span>a board (2X10) place another board </span>under the spring mount (2X6) and then jack up the trailer wheel. One board supports and raises the the jack off the driveway and the other board helps to distribute the load to the spring support - at least that is my assumptions.</span>

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Egrum. I just set up lynx leveler blocks on a piece of 1x8 and drive the good tire up on them. That lifts the flat tire about an inch off the ground. Simple and easy. Since I already have them I didn't have to spend money on trailer aide. Works for me.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote